The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

finally watched The Martian last night - having read (and loved) the book a few years back, I was scepitcal about a movie version being made, fearing it would be dramatically altered and pissed around with (World War Z a prime example!)

However, what a great film - Damon played it well, the humour and emotion was pretty spot on and the earth based characters were also well portrayed.

I still prefer the book mind ;)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, theboyangel said:

finally watched The Martian last night - having read (and loved) the book a few years back, I was scepitcal about a movie version being made, fearing it would be dramatically altered and pissed around with (World War Z a prime example!)

However, what a great film - Damon played it well, the humour and emotion was pretty spot on and the earth based characters were also well portrayed.

I still prefer the book mind ;)

I was a bit dissapointed. From very early on you knew it was one of those happy ending type of deals.

He just took everything in his stride, though a welcome change to the usual stupid words removed we usually get in Sci-Fi movies nowadays, it kind of killed the tension.

Whilst it is fair enough considering he was a highly trained and intelligent astronaut I would have liked a bit more misery.

7 hours ago, heffoman said:

I saw World of Warcraft tonight. It got a standing ovation after the film had ended.

I m really not sure why.

I think one of the weirdest experiences in my life was watching a film in the US. People actually cheering on the heroes, talking shit to the villains, clapping and shouting. It's so unusual. 

On 5/25/2016 at 04:48, Rodders said:

Finally returned to the Bourne Identity last night after getting the grumps when it first came out due to differences with the book. Ive long since changed my mind on book / film adaptations, and take them on their own merit.

However, it was still all a bit meh, in spite of my fresh willingness to enjoy it. Will give Supremacy a bash but if that's no better I'll knock Bourne on the head.

Identity is by far the best of the movies as an actual movie. The others have more explosions, longer fight scenes and (much) faster cutting, but are crucially boring as hell. 

13 hours ago, heffoman said:

I saw World of Warcraft tonight. It got a standing ovation after the film had ended.

I m really not sure why.

I'm going to see it on Sunday. The reviews aren't good, but **** it, I'm hyped, I've been waiting 5+ years for it.

X Men Apocolyse. I didn't think it was bad as people have made out, certainly no where near as bad as x3...

Spoiler

The way he was killed was very poor though.

Also I thought the casting of storm was poor, seemed far too young, but then I've never been a big an of her character.

Didn't need the Wolverine part, and I'm still not sure on the time travel timeline stuff, as at the end of Days of future past he went back to the school, but I'm guessing they are using him being experimented on again as not remembering. Didn't at the end of Days, he also got fished out of the water by mystique and not stryder?

Quicksilver was the best again, although nightcrawler was decent comical value.

James McAvoy has a funny shaped head and does not suit being bald.

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

X Men Apocolyse. I didn't think it was bad as people have made out, certainly no where near as bad as x3...

Reveal hidden contents

The way he was killed was very poor though.

Also I thought the casting of storm was poor, seemed far too young, but then I've never been a big an of her character.

Didn't need the Wolverine part, and I'm still not sure on the time travel timeline stuff, as at the end of Days of future past he went back to the school, but I'm guessing they are using him being experimented on again as not remembering. Didn't at the end of Days, he also got fished out of the water by mystique and not stryder?

Quicksilver was the best again, although nightcrawler was decent comical value.

James McAvoy has a funny shaped head and does not suit being bald.

Spoiler

Without the Wolverine part the post-credits scene wouldn't make as much sense. He was pretty much thrown in as a cameo to appease the Wolverine fans and to help set up the next movie. I won't go into what I think the post-credits scene means because that's potentially another spoiler but if I'm right in my assumptions, Wolverine is key.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ginko said:
  Hide contents

Without the Wolverine part the post-credits scene wouldn't make as much sense. He was pretty much thrown in as a cameo to appease the Wolverine fans and to help set up the next movie. I won't go into what I think the post-credits scene means because that's potentially another spoiler but if I'm right in my assumptions, Wolverine is key.

Spoiler

Well I guessed the scene were about weapon X and developing mutants. Didn't know what the co' meant but looked it up online

On 27 May 2016 at 11:14, Davkaus said:

I'm going to see it on Sunday. The reviews aren't good, but **** it, I'm hyped, I've been waiting 5+ years for it.

I have no idea to the current story Warcraft 3 was the last game I played and it was a long time ago. People coming into it who are not fans will feel lost in the beginning.

Its not as terrible as it should be and looks very impressive in places. The Orcs look very well done. With a bit tighter writing and plot and one or two of the main characters recast it could have been pretty decent.

Fans seemed to really enjoy it though at the screening. 

The Skeleton Key  (2005)

A friend of mine suggested watching this .I thought it was rather long and it took me a while to get into it.However once i did,i rather enjoyed it . A 7/10 i would score it 

I watched The Hunger games Mockingjay Part 1 on Saturday.

Rubbish.

I thought the first film was good, and Catching Fire was alright. But this one was crap.

I remember reading the books thinking "This, in film format, is going to be incredibly cheesey and hard to pull off" and that's exactly how it was.
That, coupled with completely needlessly stretching this to two films, seems to have made the first instalment pointless.

I'll probably watch the last one just to complete the set, but not expecting much. The end of the books contains some very dark moments, that I doubt they'll reproduce correctly (they already manage to make genocide seem like a minor irritant) and I would bet good money that they'll change the ending to be happier.

High Rise was somewhat disappointing. Plenty of style and some good moments, but it lacked a focused narrative and the characterization was pants. The whole thing could be summed up with the following picture

3c8cf3fd2945965421e82537924291a8.jpg

Wheatley is very hit or miss.

The Falling was far more enjoyable and, while both movies are stylistically similar (looser narratives and dependent on image to tell a story rather than exposition), this had strong characterization and as such held together in a way High Rise just didn't. Certainly not for everyone but I really liked it.

18 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

The Falling was far more enjoyable and, while both movies are stylistically similar (looser narratives and dependent on image to tell a story rather than exposition), this had strong characterization and as such held together in a way High Rise just didn't. Certainly not for everyone but I really liked it.

Yes, that was a really good movie and had a real Nicolas Roeg vibe to it.

Which was nice.

Watched Grimsby (or the brothers Grimsby for our American friends) the other night.

It was a solid 7/10 to be fair, a lot better than I expected.

The film starts off at a rapid pace with some POV action which I imagine is what Hardcore Henry tried to do for a entire film but it really works for a couple of minutes here. The jokes are thick and fast (mostly crude as expected and they don't all hit of course) but there's enough laughs to call this a legitimate comedy in my opinion. The best part of the movie is Mark Strong playing it completely straight while SBC just prats about the entire time.

Its not for everyone but I actually really enjoyed it - probably in part due to having such low expectations for it.

watched xmen

thought it was ok, nothing special, didnt handle the new characters particularly well, shoe horned in wolverine, made some stuff up as it went along, magneto wasnt as bad as i thought he would be, he still got some decent scenes and story arc, more than anything else it just seemed to have a load of death and destruction that i simply didnt care about, felt tired IMO, watching scenes of the world being destroyed and it should all be spectacular and exciting...and its just not anymore, thats what civil war got right, zemo seemingly isnt that much of a villain and yet he's still far more interesting than throw away villains like apocalypse and ultron

Rogue One looks like it might be in some bother. Reports came out over the weekend that Disney aren't happy with it and extensive reshoots have been ordered to bring it up to standard. Reshoots aren't unusual to fill gaps or polish scenes but this is being reported as trying to fix a substandard movie rather apply some extra shine to things. Hmm. Gareth Edwards might be in danger of binning his career. Godzilla missed the mark for most people, he backed out of doing a sequel a couple of weeks back, and now Star Wars Rogue One is seemingly not up to snuff....

He might not be cut out for blockbuster fare.

So this weekend I had the misfortune of watching Pitch Perfect 2 and Rosemary's Baby...

So, Pitch Perfect 2 was exactly what you thought it would be. Horrible and unfunny. Do not watch.

Rosemary's Baby, WTF... How is that film even remotely scary? I'm not even sure why it's considered a good film, it's terrible. I'm guessing it's one of those films which was good at its time in 1968.

Edited by PieFacE

Â