The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just saw Argo, an enjoyable couple of hours or so.  Though I did my usual thing on hitting wikipedia once the credits hit to discover any and all factual inaccuracies.  Was quite surprised to find an American film had intensified the drama and minimised the concerted efforts of other nations at the cost of historical truth...

Hurr hurr hurr...

Also had to endure most of "Tea with Mussolini" this afternoon.  Did not care for it at all.

I just watched a movie by Nobuhiko Obayashi on ubuweb called Emotion kind of alright and I liked it, although I didn't understand the Japanese. But the narrator was American and you can tell what was going on just by looking.

Nobuhiko Obayashi went onto make a really good movie called Hausu, this trailer doesn't really explain the half of it. He also made some pretty hilarious adverts with Charles Bronson.

Edited by useless

Yeah, there is certainly something terrifying about 'Her', but it's amazing how quickly you get past that. I can't really pick a fault with the movie, really. Almost had me in tears at points, which is something.

I was in tears.... of laughter. Thought it was tripe. Hipster fodder.

WHAT?!?! 'Her' is far from tripe...easily the most innovative, beautifully made film ive seen in years. Maybe transformers is more up your street...I jest but still your wrong, wrong, WRONG.

I agree with that. The best film I've seen in a while.

Kick Ass 2 was very meh!

Thought the first one was very good, containing comedy, comic book violence and a decent plot/script.

The sequel felt like a lot of ideas thrown around in the hope they gel into a movie - didn't entirely work.

• Like 1

Got Stoker lined up for tonight, thanks to this thread. :thumb:

Got round to watching House Of The Flying Daggers yesterday, which I'd had recorded of the tellybox for about 2 months or something.  Visually very cool but it did get a bit 'Shymalany' towards the end.

• Like 2

Schindler's List on telly. No matter how many times I watch it, I'm always moved.

Agree. I know its already been mentioned on here before when it was last on the box, but I'd say it is one of the greatest films of all time.

Fiennes performance is chillingly good. 

Edited by Xela

Silver Linings Playbook ( 2012 ) - 7/10 - perfectly enjoyable and well acted from Cooper and Lawrence in particular ( christ she is **** hot ).. I had a friend complain about the portrayal about mental illness but it's clearly not interested in pursuing that part of it anyway, it's just a slighty different means of establishing a theme of "moving on" and getting the protaganists to hook up. And that element just disappears after half an hour and it's how are we going to see these two pair up. ( it's a rom com, so hardly a spoiler imo, as it's bloody obvious early on ) charming enough, music was complementary, shot ok. Overall, enjoyed it. Not much more than just a well made rom-com-drama and not without flaws.

The psychiatrist role is half assed, the random football supporting conflict bit was rather contrived, and meeting tiffany on halloween, I was wondering if there was some bizarre comment about the nature of them meeting up tied into that, but nah.

Nice enough, but not as introspective or deep as I think the film thinks it is.

edit: didn't think it was really a spoiler, but just in case

Edited by Rodders

Just seen 28 days later for the first time. Liked it

I watched a wee bit of it last night too. It was and remains utterly compelling viewing. I love the art style and the plot is riveting from start to finish. For something that looks like it was shot on an early camera phone it looks fantastic too.

Some of the acting isn't the best, in particular the young girl. But it's a solid piece all the same.

I thought it was older than it is actually and I'd forgotten Danny Boyle directed.

tumblr_maf3hxG06N1qmsszn.jpg

Utterly fantastic.

Based on the true story of Caroline Mathilde's (Queen of Denmark) affair with royal physician Struensee. The three main cast members (Alicia Vikander, Mads Mikkelsen & Mikkel Boe Følsgaard) are simply superb. It's also absolutely gorgeous to look at with some breathtaking scenery shots.

Very much recommend. :thumb:

• Like 1

Lone Survivor ... Could not help but think of the falling down the mountain scene from Hot Rod. :D

And 

Why didn't they just tie the goat herders together and gag them so they could still walk, but only at a really slow pace ?

Edited by Brumerican

Lone Survivor ... Could not help but think of the falling down the mountain scene from Hot Rod. :D

And 

Why didn't they just tie the goat herders together and gag them so they could still walk, but only at a really slow pace ?

Indeed. Surely there was something they could have done aside from letting them run a few mins to get help!

I watched a wee bit of it last night too. It was and remains utterly compelling viewing. I love the art style and the plot is riveting from start to finish. For something that looks like it was shot on an early camera phone it looks fantastic too.

Some of the acting isn't the best, in particular the young girl. But it's a solid piece all the same.

I thought it was older than it is actually and I'd forgotten Danny Boyle directed.

Yeah the plot was very good and shot at a good pace . Agree about some of the acting but it didn't affect the feel of the film

Yes a long time since I've seen the film. Very similar beginning to John Wyndhams "The day of the triffids". which i guess has been ripped of many times. Cilian Murphy is my favourite Irish actor as well.

Â