The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

14 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Allegri is available.  I’d totally speak to him if I were Barca.  

Barca don't really go for proven top quality managers though. They like their idealists who have Barca DNA or whatever in their souls. Last manager of that ilk they appointed was Van Gaal in 1997.

Since then

2000- Llorenc Serra Ferrer. Did quite well at Real Betis in two spells but bit of Moyed appointment, didn't last long at Barca that season.

2002- Van Gaal came back, bad error.

2003- Frank Rijkaard. Had just relegated Sparta Rotterdam so not for his managerial ability (not getting Holland to euro 2000 final also seen as underachieving) but Barca made some amazing signings in that period, Ronaldinho, Deco, Edmilson, Eto'o and Rafa Marquez so worked out fine.

2008- Pep. Pretty much better than what anyone expected.

2012- Tito Villaneuva. Continuing the succession. Shame what happened with his health issues.

2013-  Gerardo Martino- Basically signed as he knew Messi's Dad. Not a bad manager but never worked at club the size of Barca before or since. Lasted one season.

2014- Luis Enrique- Came in mainly due to his status as player rather than anything he'd done at Roma or Celta Vigo. Good timing given Messi-Suarez-Neymar was at peak of its powers in first season, declined in europe afterwards.

2017- Valverde- Decent enough but again like Serra Ferrer, more at mid range clubs and can't even say he played a good style of football. Sweep up domestically but some woeful champions league exits.

2020- Koeman. Came in at difficult time.

For one of the world's leading clubs it's not exactly top range coaches is it?

Compare that to Real Madrid who in last 20 years appointed likes of Capello, Benitez, Ancelotti, Mourinho. They're more the two who get the coach who's out there winning the major titles regardless of style so think they're the more likely of the two to look at Allegri if Zidane walks.

I actually think Pochettino would be an intriguing fit for Barca at some point in next 5 years but he never seems keen because he played for Espanyol.

Edited by VillaChris

18 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Allegri is available.  I’d totally speak to him if I were Barca.  

If I was Allegri I wouldnt, they cant even pay there current players on time. His football doesnt also meet the "Barca Way" which is why Juventus released him 

• Like 1

Messi to sit out the final game against Eibar and also miss training for the rest of the season. Focusing on Copa America (if there is one) or done with Barca?

Just read an article that Barcelona have been paying 50% of Luis Suarez wages this season :D

So not only did they sell him to Atletico for next to nothing (€5m) they have also been paying him €150k/w to play for one of their title rivals where he's been one of their best players.

The state of it :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

Atletico takes the title. Perhaps Diego Simeone does deserve that €50m he ears every season :D 

And Suarez with the title winning goal of course 👌

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Talk online that Barca need to lower their wage bill by 200million to register new players. 

Explains why pjanic, umtiti have been told the pack their bags. And why Wolves got Trincao for peanuts. 

(almost) Any other club would have been put into administration and been forced to sell off assets. They certainly should not be allowed to take part in Europe, especially when you add in this Super League malarky.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Man utd have the highest wage bill in the PL at £190m a year

How the **** can they be looking to reduce it by £200m?

Madness 

Messi probably on more than 60-70 million a year alone. Griezmann, Coutinho and Dembele probably another the 20-30 million each. Probably gave Braithwaite 100k to sign 😂

Still paying Suarez and Rakitic as well though think both contracts just expired

36 minutes ago, sne said:

(almost) Any other club would have been put into administration and been forced to sell off assets. They certainly should not be allowed to take part in Europe, especially when you add in this Super League malarky.

I somewhat disagree with financial, points or banned from Europe penalties. It seems counter intuitive to teams that might be struggling with money to put them under more pressure.

But they have obviously been ran horrendously, money is the only thing they understand. Absolutely should be banned, as said by others this isn’t a Covid problem it’s a management one.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Man utd have the highest wage bill in the PL at £190m a year

How the **** can they be looking to reduce it by £200m?

Madness 

I think, without wishing to go down a rabbit hole. 

Barca are so poorly run they spend 120% of turnover on wages. Therefore by La Liga rules, they are only allowed to reinvest 25 percent of money saved / raised until their finances are brought into line. Therefore to spend 50 on the contracts of Aguero, Depay etc they need to raise / save 200. Or they are 200 over the line, not sure which. 

No doubt La liga (who need Barca for South American and Asian TV deals) will drop their version of FFP this year allowing them to register the players. 

It's cliche but Barca is more than a football club. They represent Catalonia against the might of Spain / Madrid. They'll get funding from banks to cover the 1.3 billion in debt. However with an aging squad and their biggest commercial asset will retire shortly I expect it will be a long time until they are competitive in the CL. 

7 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I think, without wishing to go down a rabbit hole. 

Barca are so poorly run they spend 120% of turnover on wages. Therefore by La Liga rules, they are only allowed to reinvest 25 percent of money saved / raised until their finances are brought into line. Therefore to spend 50 on the contracts of Aguero, Depay etc they need to raise / save 200. Or they are 200 over the line, not sure which. 

No doubt La liga (who need Barca for South American and Asian TV deals) will drop their version of FFP this year allowing them to register the players. 

It's cliche but Barca is more than a football club. They represent Catalonia against the might of Spain / Madrid. They'll get funding from banks to cover the 1.3 billion in debt. However with an aging squad and their biggest commercial asset will retire shortly I expect it will be a long time until they are competitive in the CL. 

Nah it's fine. Espanyol are back in La Liga so they can carry the Catalan flag while Barca can f right off :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I somewhat disagree with financial, points or banned from Europe penalties. It seems counter intuitive to teams that might be struggling with money to put them under more pressure.

When I'm 6 months behind on my mortgage I will tell my bank it seems counter intuitive to take my house away as it will put me under more financial pressure.

Barcelona (and any other business run in a similar fashion) need to pay up. 

This whole Barcelona thing is ridiculous, they look finished as a club now. I hope Lange is looking at if there's any bargains to be hand (I do mean ones that won't explode our wage budget too, like the Leeds and Wolves signing, I'm not suggesting the likes of Coutinho!)

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Messi probably on more than 60-70 million a year alone. Griezmann, Coutinho and Dembele probably another the 20-30 million each. Probably gave Braithwaite 100k to sign 😂

Still paying Suarez and Rakitic as well though think both contracts just expired

I believe it's closer €150m+ per year (something like €640m over the last 4 years in total, although the source I saw may have been in dollars).

It's why he won't go anywhere other than Barcelona, no-one else can afford the jump in wages and comply with FFP, even if they paid half what he's currently earning. Barcelona have got to this point on a slow boil, increasing slowly over the past 10-15 years, but for everyone else it would be too big of an increase and it would cripple them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I believe it's closer €150m+ per year (something like €640m over the last 4 years in total, although the source I saw may have been in dollars).

It's why he won't go anywhere other than Barcelona, no-one else can afford the jump in wages and comply with FFP, even if they paid half what he's currently earning. Barcelona have got to this point on a slow boil, increasing slowly over the past 10-15 years, but for everyone else it would be too big of an increase and it would cripple them.

i dont believe the record breaking insane amount personally, the nature of how it was leaked stinks

it also doesn't make sense for them to be paying him circa £1m more a week than any other footballer, £120m more per year than the next team sports athlete, Ronaldo on £35m a year and messi on 5x that...the market isnt there for that kind of money

• Like 1

Â