Jump to content

The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread


Troglodyte
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, villa89 said:

He's not gone yet, it's just Barca trying to get la liga to give them a pass on FFP.

I’m not sure, I think that was them giving him a new contract hoping La Liga would buckle. Looks like they haven’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Genie said:

I’m not sure, I think that was them giving him a new contract hoping La Liga would buckle. Looks like they haven’t.

CVC are buying 10% of la liga for 3 billion. They wont be long getting on the phone getting exceptions made for star names. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, villa89 said:

CVC are buying 10% of la liga for 3 billion. They wont be long getting on the phone getting exceptions made for star names. 

Time will tell on that. I personally doubt it as it’s all very public now. They’d need to go back on what they’ve said for a second time (he’s staying -> he’s leaving ). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Crazy goings on, first he signs a 5 year deal, now he leaves the club. What a circus.

Wonder if this has an impact at Man City and Jack?

He agreed but didn't sign

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Obviously a play to get La Liga to make a special exception for them, a bit like with Braithwaite the other year.  I'd love it if he just said '**** it' and joined up with Emi as thanks for the Copa.

2 La Liga exceptions for 2 players, Messi and Braithwaite. Football really is crazy 😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
Just now, Zatman said:

He agreed but didn't sign

I guess he would only sign if he could be registered, and also it would only be official if he could be registered.

If all the negotiations with La Liga came to the same conclusion (you can’t register any more players unless you slash the wage bill) then the contract offer became void.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, villa89 said:

CVC are buying 10% of la liga for 3 billion. They wont be long getting on the phone getting exceptions made for star names. 

I don’t get how a private company buys ‘La Liga’.

Its like buying “The Premier League” isn’t it? It’s not an object that can be bought?  It’s a concept of 20 football clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ender4 said:

I don’t get how a private company buys ‘La Liga’.

It's a business, just like the premier league. They just buy a percentage of the business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's a business, just like the premier league. They just buy a percentage of the business. 

But don’t the 20 members (football clubs) of the premier league ‘own’ The Premier League?  With 3 changes in ownership every year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

But don’t the 20 members (football clubs) of the premier league ‘own’ The Premier League?  With 3 changes in ownership every year?

But what they own would be a registered business. For example a limited company with 100 shares. Now CVC decide they want to own 10 of those shares, the clubs sell them 10 and keep 90 for themselves and pocket 3 billion. Now the 20 members own 90% of La Liga rather than 100% and CVC get a seat at the table for votes etc. It seems CVC are trying to build a portfolio of sports, F1 , Rugby, Football and then they will use their minority ownership position to control who gets the TV rights. I imagine they plan to setup their own netflix for sports eventually and that's how they will get their investment back. Be interesting to see who is behind CVC, they sure have deep pockets. 

Note: I'm not an accountant so I could be wrong but I imagine that's how it works.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current Barca wage bill is 110% of club revenue according to Laporta :crylaugh:

What a monumental mismanagement of a club that's been by ex president Josep Maria Bartomeu and Laporta. They deserve everything bad that is happening to them.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter

The fact that Barca thinks it can try and persuade the league for them to break the rules just shows how broken the game is at the top. Horrendously mismanaged and their plan to sort it out is to throw more money on 1 player. 

Messi wants to stay. Well if he was that keen to stay why doesn't he take a bigger pay cut? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, cyrusr said:

The fact that Barca thinks it can try and persuade the league for them to break the rules just shows how broken the game is at the top. Horrendously mismanaged and their plan to sort it out is to throw more money on 1 player. 

Messi wants to stay. Well if he was that keen to stay why doesn't he take a bigger pay cut? 

He's not taken any pay cut at all. Just as expected he was guarantied the money in the contract even if he didn't play all 5 years he was contracted.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
Just now, sne said:

He's not taken any pay cut at all. Just as expected he was guarantied the money in the contract even if he didn't play all 5 years he was contracted.

 

I know we've joked about Messi coming to Villa but if this is the mentality, let him go to PSG and earn stupid money. 

I am still of the view let the Super League happen and let those clubs disappear up their own backsides - football will be better for it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

I know we've joked about Messi coming to Villa but if this is the mentality, let him go to PSG and earn stupid money. 

We could get Lionel Messi? At Aston Villa? Actually nahhh 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
5 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

We could get Lionel Messi? At Aston Villa? Actually nahhh 😂

 1million a week seems to get him so we could get him on a 100 day contract at the very least ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I excpect all of Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele et al. could be had relatively on the cheap if you wanted to right now. 

Just the matter of their astronomical salaries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I excpect all of Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele et al. could be had relatively on the cheap if you wanted to right now. 

About 2.5 million a week in salary between all 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â