The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

1 minute ago, sne said:

Just the matter of their astronomical salaries.

Yep. Might even get Barca to pitch in a bit just to get rid. Unbelievable the position they’ve put themselves in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

He's not taken any pay cut at all. Just as expected he was guarantied the money in the contract even if he didn't play all 5 years he was contracted.

the mad thing is i'm sure i saw something last night that PSG will recuperate or maybe even profit on his wages purely because of sponsorships, shirt sales etc as a result of him going there

Makes me laugh like they are trying to make out Messi was prepared to take a pay cut to stay. No, he was going down to 50% of his old salary, but only completing 40% of the new contract and no doubt being paid the final 3 years after he leaves. Thats a pay increase (i think!)

He could still stay... if he was prepared to sign for a nominal amount per week. He'll still earn millions through sponsorships etc. Won't happen though, as footballers are motivated by money, in the main. 

This might just be the kick behind Barca needed to actually do a proper rebuild, though. And, if we can be cynical about it, it gives them a way out that kind of appeases the fans if they secretely wanted to get rid of Messi, his wages and complete control of the dressing room. 

18 minutes ago, El Zen said:

This might just be the kick behind Barca needed to actually do a proper rebuild, though. And, if we can be cynical about it, it gives them a way out that kind of appeases the fans if they secretely wanted to get rid of Messi, his wages and complete control of the dressing room. 

They still have Pique, Alba, Busquets (and Roberto) who are part of the same clique, on long expensive contracts. They appear to be stuck with them as the refuse to leave or lower their salaries.

Be interesting to see how they move forward as a club. Their academy is still producing good players, if not like before and they are still good at finding young players to bring in to the club. Signing Pedri for €20m from Las Palmas two seasons ago looks like a steal now. Not played a single youth game for Barca in his life but people still think he's a Barcelona academy product :D 

Edited by sne

Just now, sne said:

They still have Pique, Alba, Busquets (and Roberto) who are part of the same clique, on long expensive contracts. They appear to be stuck with them as the refuse to leave or lower their salaries.

Be interesting to see how they move forward as a club. Their academy is still producing good players, if not like before and they are still good at finding young players to bring in to the club. Signing Pedri for €20m from Las Palmas two seasons ago looks like a steal now. Not played a single youth game for Barca in his life but people still think he's a Barcelona academy product :D 

Absolutely. They’re in deep, deep trouble still. But at least they’re not tied up trying to match Messi’s demands anymore. I suspect, at some level, that must be quite liberating. 

• Like 1

Barca have enough young talent in the academy to rebuild, just get rid of the names and focus on talent like Pedri and Fati, but knowing them they’ll sell the academy prospects to keep the over 30’s

Edited by gwi1890

So, Messi has taken Barca for how much a week for how many years and been a big part of the reason they are in financial ruin and he is in tears at his leaving press conference. Forgive me if I call bullshit.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Even with his enormous wages off their books Barcelona will be sitting on 95% of revenue going to player wages. Much better than the 115% it was before but they still need to get it down to 70% to be in line with La Liga rules.

6 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

So, Messi has taken Barca for how much a week for how many years and been a big part of the reason they are in financial ruin and he is in tears at his leaving press conference. Forgive me if I call bullshit.

spacer.png

Now imagine their financial position if they never had messi in the first place... 

He's worth what percentage of their revenue? 

He's threatened to leave every other season for the last 6-8 years unless he got a new contract, even thou he was already on astronomical wages.

Sure he much rather had stayed at Barca and that that was the plan, but his greed had made in impossible.

• Like 1

Lionel Messi has a personal fortune of more than half a billion pounds. If he wanted to play for Barca he could do it for nothing or next to nothing, he'll never worry about money again.

You're leaving because your ego won't let you take a pay cut - stop crying you berk!

• Like 1

Devil's advocate, is Messi worth those huge wages to Barca though? He generates more interest in a club than any other player in world football.

He's a guarantee of (relative) success too. What odds on Barca being outside the champions League places at the end of the season? They certainly won't make it far in the champions League this season without him.

I'm probably wrong but Barcelona's problem has been paying high wages to very average players, or players not at the level required.

13 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Devil's advocate, is Messi worth those huge wages to Barca though? He generates more interest in a club than any other player in world football.

He's a guarantee of (relative) success too. What odds on Barca being outside the champions League places at the end of the season? They certainly won't make it far in the champions League this season without him.

I'm probably wrong but Barcelona's problem has been paying high wages to very average players, or players not at the level required.

• It's a combination of Messi on too high wages (he deserves to be extremely well paid but half of what he's on would have been to much if you include bonuses).
  • Tons of other players given too big and too long contracts, many of them pushing 30 with no sell on value meaning they are impossible to get rid off.
  • And hundreds of millions wasted on unsuccessful transfers in a desperate attempt to compete with PL clubs with the extreme TV money to spend.

They've gone from a club with no sponsor on their shirts or Unicef to a club sponsored by Qatar who's spending absurd amount of money they do not have.

• Like 1

Â