The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Barca working hard to close the deals for Aguero and Winjaldum, with the latter being a done deal according to the rags.

Really hope they sign them. Obviously they are good players but they are 30 + with no sell on value and high wage demands. Aguero is constantly injured, not as good and only a year younger than Suarez who they let go for free.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Barca working hard to close the deals for Aguero and Winjaldum, with the latter being a done deal according to the rags.

Really hope they sign them. Obviously they are good players but they are 30 + with no sell on value and high wage demands. Aguero is constantly injured, not as good and only a year younger than Suarez who they let go for free.

What the **** are they doing 

Ageuro is finished at city so fully expect barca to double his wages 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I sometimes wonder, what are clubs that make moves like this thinking?

It's clearly not good business, those players won't win them anything, is it shirt sales and marketing?

If Spurs/Arsenal/Atalanta/Leipzig/ or any other team short of real success signed Aguero I'd question their recruitment, but isn't Barcelona supposed to be an elite club?

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I imagine it's something along the lines of Koemann wanting his compatriot in and the club hoping they can keep Messi by bringing his buddy and compatriot Aguero in. It's a daft strategy thou.

I get they don't have money for transfer fees but it's salaries as much as anything else that is killing their finances.

4 hours ago, sne said:

There's a weird logic with Barca fans I've seen online, apparently because the people who binned Suarez are no longer at the club then it's fine to sign Aguero because technically it's not hypocritical.  Their recruitment is awful though, Griezmann is a superb player but they waited too long, paid too much and are trying to crowbar him into a team with Messi in it.  I still don't get why they paid so much for Coutinho, it would be like offering Spurs £120m for Dele Ali when he's not not even first choice under the current manager. I'd love to have been in the room when Liverpool recieved that bid just to hear the laughter.  Dembele has been a disaster. Turan seemed to have only been bought to weaken Atleti given how infrequently Barca used him.  It's just batshit, and yet they will probably still end up winning the league again this season.  My only conclusion is that Messi is really really good at papering over the cracks and they are absolutely knackered when he's no longer there. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sne said:

Winjaldum been rumoured for a year so guess that means Koeman will get another season. He's actually done much better than I thought he would so Barca could do worse e.g. sacking him and thinking Xavi will just solve everything. Only have to look at how Juventus are doing under Pirlo to see rookie coaches don't always work out.

Yeah Aguero is very Barca. Would've made sense a year or two ago but feels like they'll just sign him to appease Messi given they're good mates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I know diddly squat about the reliability of Spanish Eurosport so yeah.

First 3 points seem fair, the last 2 he might have earned but no player really should have them. And Barca's second biggest issue already is too much player power for the old guard.

MESSI'S DEMANDS ON LAPORTA TO RENEW FOR BARCELONA

BUILDING A COMPETITIVE SQUAD

Messi wants to go back to leading a team that competes in Europe and regains the prominence lost since the departure of Neymar and his friend Luis Suárez. Since then, Barça has not stepped on a Champions League final and the Argentine prioritizes the competitiveness of the team to keep his card in the squad at any price.

CONTRASTING TRANSFERS

Leo does not want to surround himself with mediocre players like those who have passed through Barcelona in the last five years. In recent times the team has fallen into the most absolute inconsequential of the hand of signings such as Coutinho, Pjanic, Braithwaite, Arthur, Malcom, Boateng ... The economic situation forces to carefully measure financial efforts and free players are an option very valid. Eric García will arrive with the consensus of all levels of the club: board of directors, dressing room and fans. The possible landing of the Dutch Depay or Wijnaldum raises more concern. And Laporta has spoken with Messi about the Agüero case, but the Argentine, a close friend of Messi, seems to have been dropped. In fact, Laporta's great bet to reinforce the attack is the Norwegian Erling Haaland,Mino Raiola, and his father, have been hunted this Thursday upon arrival at Barcelona airport, being picked up by one of Joan Laporta's henchmen.

PROTAGONISM OF THE QUARRY

Leo is excited about the appearance of players like Pedri, Ansu or Ilaix, whom he is mentoring in their growth in the team. A role that the Argentine likes, who also enjoys the quality of these young people on the field. The chemistry with Ansu and Pedri is evident and Messi's deal with Ilaix is also very close. 

COMMUNICATION WITH KOEMAN AND PLANES

Messi does not want to repeat previous episodes like those lived with Luis Enrique or Quique Setién. The player wants there to be fluent communication with the coach and wants to avoid friction like those that occurred with Luis Enrique due to the defiant attitude of the coach today during his time at Barça. Nor does he want to feel the distance he had with a Setién who sent him messages through the press or his assistant, Eder Sarabia. Ronald Koeman earned the respect of the dressing room and Messi with his way of working and Leo wants to maintain that empathy when communicating with the Dutchman. Something that he extends to Ramón Planes, the club's technical secretary, to be informed of the plans and that his opinion and that of the heavyweights of the locker room are taken into account.

DIRECT THREAD WITH LAPORTA

The relationship between the Messi and Joan Laporta has always been good and fluid. Even when the lawyer left the club's presidency. There is a lot of complicity between both parties and Messi believes that this is key to rebuilding Barça. The Messi were the first to know of Laporta's plans to stand in the elections, as Eurosport advanced , and Laporta's relationship with Leo has been his main electoral argument. Now it is time to endorse the renewal of Leo and thus complete the priority that Laporta himself marked when running for election. The lawyer has a magnificent relationship with the Messi, with Gerard Piqué or with Sergio Busquets, heavyweights in the dressing room.

https://www.eurosport.es/futbol/messi-renovar-barcelona-laporta-futbol-fichajes-psg-koeman_sto8201323/story.shtml

The problem Barca might have is that it could come down to a choice between keeping Messi or building a competitive squad - they're going to struggle to do both.

I think what will end up happening is that they'll need to sell part or all of the club into private ownership - bringing to an end the membership scheme which has been their ethos since they began - I just can't see any other way for them to get the enormous amount of cash they need into the club.

Perhaps they can change their motto to "a club".

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

The problem Barca might have is that it could come down to a choice between keeping Messi or building a competitive squad - they're going to struggle to do both.

I think what will end up happening is that they'll need to sell part or all of the club into private ownership - bringing to an end the membership scheme which has been their ethos since they began - I just can't see any other way for them to get the enormous amount of cash they need into the club.

Perhaps they can change their motto to "a club".

Or "Just another club"

Crazy stat

Antoine Griezmann has become a father for the 3rd time, with all three of his children born on the same day..

👶 April 8th - 2016
👶 April 8th - 2019
👶 April 8th - 2021 

Consistency. 😅

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Crazy stat

Antoine Griezmann has become a father for the 3rd time, with all three of his children born on the same day..

👶 April 8th - 2016
👶 April 8th - 2019
👶 April 8th - 2021 

Consistency. 😅

He doesnt seem the brightest so I imagine the wife planned this so he only has 1 date a year to remember for birthdays

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Must be a nightmare for him to make his March pay cheque last through April with 3 birthdays 

Yeah, you can hardly get anything with €1.2m a month. 

• Like 2

Â