The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

12 hours ago, The_Rev said:

He's got a couple of connections with Valencia though, Phil Neville is out there as assistant manager (and Spanish league rules dictate that he can't take the main job as he's not got his UEFA coaching badges yet) and of course Peter Lim is majority shareholder in Valencia and is a partner with both Neville brothers (and the rest of the Class of 92) with Salford City FC.  

I'd think Valencia is probably the only place he'd go to overseas at this point in his career. He needs to learn Spanish pretty quickly though, I'm not sure how Phil's Spanish is these days but I'd hope he's moved on from talking about jizzing on the beach. 

Oh I can see why he went there in terms of if he's going to go to an overseas club then that's where it'll be. I'm just surprised that that's where he's gone for his first managerial job.

11 hours ago, gharperr said:

pochettino did just fine here without knowing English very well at the start. Dont really think its that big of a problem as long as he gets a translator in and learns quickly

..bit of a myth that by all accounts.

Just didn't want to speak English to the media.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yep. He apparently spoke English to his players from a very early stage.

He just didn't want to be misinterpreted or misunderstood in interviews so chose to use an interpretor.

Will be extremely interesting to see how G.Nev does as a manager. The guy obviously knows a lot about the game, but football is quite easy to talk about after the fact. Bit of a different proposition when you're the one who needs to make decisions before and during a game. Might watch a few Valencia games now to see how he does. 

Real Madrid used an ineligible player in the Copa Del Rey. Let's see how this plays out. Oh and he also scored in the match, not that that matters a damn.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Real Madrid used an ineligible player in the Copa Del Rey. Let's see how this plays out. Oh and he also scored in the match, not that that matters a damn.

They should be kicked out......................

there is direct precedent last year and it has also happened to benny tez with valencia too  :crylaugh:

though the state of power in that league was sad when you see Cadiz' note of their appeal - "we really like you real madrid, but shit, if it weren't for our pesky fans we wouldn't have complained, kthnx bye"

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

Real saying the FA should have told them the player was ineligible. Dickheads.

well they really should have as its a. its their competition and b. he was playing for Villarreal last season

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Even from the very start? I understand after a couple of months. But seems very bizarre from the very start.

You're probably right though 

Edit: Yeh just googled: you're right. Interesting. 

Good thing about Neville is that his footballing knowledge *appears* to be night and day compared to previous failed managers in punditry. But yeh. Different when you got to make the decisions under pressure. Don't think he would ever revolutionise football or anything obvs. From his punditry he seems to come across as quite pro english-based tactics. 

Edited by gharperr

the team that smashed celtic in the CL qualifer did something similar last year too didnt they?

beat celtic about 7-1 on aggregate but a suspended bloke played 10 minutes so they gained an unfair advantaged...now that was harsh

there's definitely precedent for it

• 3 weeks later...

Barca terminate Sergi Guardiola's contract hours after signing him

Barcelona terminated the contract of midfielder Sergi Guardiola just hours after he signed because of a series of "offensive" tweets, the club said on Monday.

Guardiola, 24, signed to play for Barca B on Monday, and the team announced the move on their website, complete with photos.

But by the end of the day they had taken down that report and soon posted another that said the contract was no longer valid.

A statement on the club website said: "FC Barcelona has decided to terminate the contract signed with Sergi Guardiola, after finding that he had published offensive tweets about the club and Catalonia."

Guardiola had protected his Twitter account by Monday night.

AS reports that two of the offending tweets were posted during last month'sClasico, in which Barcelona beat Real Madrid 4-0 at the Bernabeu, read "I wouldn't put Messi in my team, he stops the others from playing," and "Up Madrid and f--- Catalonia."

The player apologised for that incident, but denied posting other tweets attributed to him that were reported to have been put online in 2013.

"I know I have done wrong. I apologise to Catalonia, to Barca and two whoever has been offended," he said.

"There were some tweets from three years ago, after a training session, and I did not write them. I know I did not write them. But if I was Barca, I'd have done the same."

Barca B did complete the signings of midfielder Xemi from Cornella and left-back Moises Delgado of Sevilla Atletico, who will join training on Tuesday.

http://www.espnfc.com/barcelona/story/2773216/barcelona-sack-sergi-guardiola-hours-after-signing-him

Â