The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

How has Rafa blagged the Madrid gig? I know he managed the B team but really?

It was always going to happen at some point I think.  Rafa has been an employee of Real Madrid in one role or another for about twenty years, he's a Madrid boy and he probably has a lot of connections at the club.  I'd imagine he has been sitting on a shortlist for years and it's simply a case of it being his turn right now.  Can't see it lasting long, but then who ever lasts very long at Real Madrid? 

I think he will do well there, mind you being succesful in Madrid doesnt guarantee job safety! Del Bosque won 2 x champions league and La Liga and got binned, the way Madrid is run is a joke

Is it?  It's not economical, but it gets results.   In the two competitions they really care about (being champions of Spain and being champions of Europe) they are so much more successful than anybody else that it's almost embarrassing. 

• Like 1

The Madrid job was always Benitez' dream job. I think he will do enough.

Curious to see how the goalkeeper situation plays out, I think patience has run out with Casillas and De Gea will and should be be the number one choice.

It's a real shame how Keylor Navas has just been forgotten, one of the best keepers at the world cup.

He's not a galactico, which is a problem if you are a Real Madrid player.  DDG will return to Madrid this summer, I think the only real questions are what the fee will be and will Manchester United bring any players to England as a part of the deal. 

I dont think United could possibly get a player like Bale in the deal. Maybe controversial but United would get a good option from Pepe. He would add needed steel to their back line and if can get his head straight is a good player

though him and Rooney could have a problem :P

Looks like you got your wish in the end Zatman,

Eibar have been re-instated into the Primera Liga because Elche have been demoted due to unpaid taxes.  Not the best way to stay up but hey, never look a gift horse ... :)

The Alicante-based side, who finished 13th in the league, were punished for "very serious infractions" of Spain's sports law and fined 180,000 euros.

Elche will appeal though.

• Like 1

Yeah can feel for the Elche players but its about time they punished the clubs for getting into such debts. I would imagine (though hope not) that will probably win the appeal which will make it fruitless

Looks like you got your wish in the end Zatman,

Eibar have been re-instated into the Primera Liga because Elche have been demoted due to unpaid taxes.  Not the best way to stay up but hey, never look a gift horse ... :)

The Alicante-based side, who finished 13th in the league, were punished for "very serious infractions" of Spain's sports law and fined 180,000 euros.

Elche will appeal though.

As you can imagine I feel (as will another 25,000 Elche season ticket holders) cheated.

I'm all in favour of attempts to get clubs to be self-sustaining and the Spanish League now has quite stringent control over club budgets. However, the league themselves have some culpability in that they allowed the situation to continue giving the new board which was brought in only five weeks ago little time to sort out the problem.

The "very serious infraction" is actually 100% to do with non-payment of taxes. By now this has risen to 8m euros. Elche had to satisfy the league (via a supposedly independent judge) that they had dealt with this debt. Promissory notes were given, backed up with bank guarantees, to enure the entire debt is paid by 31 July. The Spanish treasury is happy with this arrangement - it appears the league is not as the judge's financial assistant does not consider that the promissory notes are "real" money.

If they are not then every other club which currently has an arrangement with the tax office should also be demoted. Bearing in mind Elche's debt of 8m (soon to be zero), Atletico owe 100m, Deportivo 60m, Espanyol 40m, Rayo 34, Levante 20m, Getafe 14m, Celta de Vigo 8m.... etc.

I would also ask why the massive tax fraud that took place as a result of the Neymar transfer is not equally a "serious infraction"?  In this case, of course, action is being taken against the President, not the club, which somehow is separate. How surprising.

The league are complicit as they suspended the entire Elche board - well-known as a gang of chancers- around Christmas but didn't follow through and allowed them to continue in control. Had they stuck by their initial action back then the current board would have resolved the tax issue prior to the deadline - the league's own inactivity is therefore more than partly responsible.

Any league's responsibility is to ensure that as far as possible teams are rewarded for their success on the pitch. Elche have not cheated anyone in this regard, in fact they were subject to penalties before the season began and had the lowest budget in the league and the smallest squad (17 players).

Eibar's conduct has been morally repugnant IMV. They were 2A champions last season but threatened with demotion unless they found 1.7m more in capital, due to a ludicrous old law that does not protect teams financially but remains a requirement for all clubs playing in the First and Second A Divisions. This would have been fundamentally unjust, however due to the goodwill of football fans worldwide (including some in Elche) people stumped up enough by last August to enable them to take their place in La Liga. They could not have raised the funds without help - which was given because fans recognise that rewards should arise from what happens ON THE FIELD.

Now, having failed and been relegated, they have demanded the league expel Elche on this technicality. Their attitude is disgusting and I hope they continue to fail as badly as they did in the second half last season.

• Like 4

On what basis (other than big club syndrome) can Atlético remain in the top flight with debts of €100m while Elche go down with debts of €8m ?

On what basis (other than big club syndrome) can Atlético remain in the top flight with debts of €100m while Elche go down with debts of €8m ?

Those are the debts to the tax office, which are now forbidden under Spanish FFP.  Atletico and others have arrangements to pay that off over time - that is what Elche's new board agreed as well, the only difference being the ENTIRE tax debt would be paid in less than 2 months. However Elche missed payments to the tax office in the past year which is why this complaint has been enacted, the other clubs are still paying theirs off according to the agreed schedules.

Nevertheless, the circumstances - namely a new board and President in place which is actively paying off the debt, signed agreement with the tax office, and overall debt which is a lot less than many other clubs - make this grossly unfair.

As I mentioned the fraud on the Neymar case is more than Elche's entire gross debt, however in that instance Barcelona are not being held liable for the actions of their current president, let alone any of their previous ones.

Does this mean that Luis Enrique (who many thought was close to the sack) is one of the best manager's in the world, or does it confirm that Pep's achievements at Camp Nou are vastly overrated?

Calling Zatman ☺

Does this mean that Luis Enrique (who many thought was close to the sack) is one of the best manager's in the world, or does it confirm that Pep's achievements at Camp Nou are vastly overrated?

Calling Zatman ☺

Got to give him credit for ripping up the Pep-style of play and making a success of it in his first season. They'd gone stale and got caught up by a few teams and needed changing.

I wouldnt call Enrique a world class manager but he just proved that managing Barcelona is not really that difficult just like Guardiola did. Guardiola for me has failed at Bayern and Enrique at Roma which is more a measure of their level

I wouldnt call Enrique a world class manager but he just proved that managing Barcelona is not really that difficult just like Guardiola did. Guardiola for me has failed at Bayern and Enrique at Roma which is more a measure of their level

He got in his own way at Roma. Bringing in Jose Angel and Bojan and playing them every week was a disaster. At least at Barca I assume he has little to no say in transfers.

Calling Zatman ☺

It certainly highlights the increasing concentration of power at the very top of the game. A 'treble' (a proper one) used to be a once in a generation thing.   Now we have had four in the past six seasons. 

Â