The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Not complaining, will watch a few although one I was most looking forward to Villareal-Valencia is tomorrow at 3pm and I'm out then.

Wonder how long Neville will last, he's messed up a few easy early games already and they've got Villareal away and then Real Madrid at home on Sunday.

Their defence looks very mediocre...conceding 2 at home to Getafe isn't a good sign at all, those lot never score when I have the misfortune to watch them. They also lost at home to Lyon who are having a shocking season in France.

I was a big fan of Abdenoour at Monaco last season but he looks very dodgy playing in a defensive highline...not sure where Gaya the left back and Matt Ryan aren't starting either. Fegouhli has disappeared aswell.

Edit:

Really good article here by Graham Hunter, up Barca's backside a bit too much but one of the best british writers on the Spanish game.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/spanish-primera-division/15/blog/post/2772697/gary-neville-must-adapt-quickly-in-order-to-fix-valencia

Edited by VillaChris

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I've always had a soft spot for the yellow submarines so hope Villareal beat them. Valencia have to finish in the top 4 surely for Neville to keep his job.

You'll do well to find a football fan anywhere who has a bad word to say about Villareal. Got relegated a few years back aswell didn't they?

• Like 1

They always played good football under Pellegrini and have always got really good deals when signing players, Loved when had Riquelme and Forlan on fire

though they are far from punching above the weight as media used to claim ;)

2 hours ago, gharperr said:

Said I was going to watch Valencia more since G.Nev took over but I haven't. Posts saying he's doing bad. Is that because he's manager or netspend/wages etc etc? What kind of football is he playing? 

I don't know, but Neville walking into a Champions League team in a country where he doesn't speak the language having never managed a game has a touch of the Tim Sherwoods about it, albeit he is clearly less of a complete numpty.  It really was a weird move for him.

Also, Messi's 500th match for Barca today, bugger me time flies, I remember seeing his first goal.

Edited by sharkyvilla

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They always played good football under Pellegrini and have always got really good deals when signing players, Loved when had Riquelme and Forlan on fire

though they are far from punching above the weight as media used to claim ;)

In fairness they are. They sell their best players like we do but recruit well. Theres quite a few clubs with bigger grounds and attendances in la liga that regularly finish above.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The second penalty was even worse than the first....Sociedad had a better shout earlier in the game. It's so bad I'm going to watch Levante-Malaga second half instead.

Not quite yet....lovely equaliser from Bruma. FSW moaning about a foul....he probably had a point but after the decisions in the first half that's justice.

Â