The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

On 17 January 2016 at 21:02, The_Rev said:

Just caught up on some of the goals from earlier.  Has Gareth Bale turned into Dion Dublin or something?  He's just scoring header after header after header this season. There have been whispers about Real planning to cash in on Ronaldo while he's still worth a bit of money (PSG keep getting linked) and I think if this transfer ban hadn't have happened then it might have happened this summer because Bale looks like the sort of player who can fill in for Ronaldo.  Maybe he won't' be as prolific but I'm not sure that actually matters. 

Bale wishes he was as good as Dion Dublin

Watching the Madrid game earlier I'd imagine the post Ronaldo era isn't too far off at Real Madrid.

He has become a hindrance to the way they play now he has slowed down, looks more agitated and annoyed that he doesn't have that burst of pace and reaction like he used to I've noticed it a few times when I have seen them play this season. I'd guess with Bale being the most expensive player in the world and a Florentino Perez signing he will probably take the "lead" reign in to a new era. It's an ideal opportunity for them to build more of a "team" but with Perez you just know it wouldn't happen.

I'd imagine Ed Woodward can be fooled again at paying another big price if Mendes and Madrid play it right like they did with Di Maria but my guess is Ronaldo will be probably off to the MLS. He is still a phenomenal player but not as decisive as he once was.

Can't see Real letting Ronaldo go if they are under the transfer embargo.  I'm not sure it would actually harm them on the pitch, but politics are weird in Madrid, for an outfit that like to consider themselves the biggest club in the world it's amazing how often players seem to become bigger than the club.  It's happened with Ronaldo, Casillas and Raul in recent years. 

7 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Can't see Real letting Ronaldo go if they are under the transfer embargo.  I'm not sure it would actually harm them on the pitch, but politics are weird in Madrid, for an outfit that like to consider themselves the biggest club in the world it's amazing how often players seem to become bigger than the club.  It's happened with Ronaldo, Casillas and Raul in recent years. 

its the players became bigger than Perez and not the club, he is an egotistical clown. In his 2 reigns he has spent over a billion maybe even more and has 3 league titles and 2 Champions Leagues but they really have massively underachieved under him

You can't really take Real Madrid's spending in a vacuum and call it a failure.  His first spell should certainly have yielded more but his second term (2009- ) has seen Real up against an utterly formidable opponent in Barcelona.  The current Barca side is easily the best and most successful in their illustrious history and right up there with the greatest club sides of all time. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

You can't really take Real Madrid's spending in a vacuum and call it a failure.  His first spell should certainly have yielded more but his second term (2009- ) has seen Real up against an utterly formidable opponent in Barcelona.  The current Barca side is easily the best and most successful in their illustrious history and right up there with the greatest club sides of all time. 

true the competition is intense but when you are spending huge money and then allowing world class players to leave for peanuts because you didnt sign them then for me thats horrible management

starting line up today cost about 500 million euro and thats not including worlds most expensive player Bale, Ramos or Kovacic

Madrid don't appear to give a shit about financial pragmatism though, they almost certainly receive some form of state aid (lol training ground) and see themselves as too big to fail. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

If PSG are 23 points clear now, how soon would they win the league with Ronaldo in it, November? It would be a shame to see him play in the French league.

PSG want to win the Champions League though. They've got the money to do it and Paris is a city where players will go to for the lifestyle if nothing else. I expect them to keep making marquee signing. 

Ronaldo's 'decline' has slowly begun it's been more apparent in away matches in La Liga which Real Madrid struggle with...he can still score plenty against muggy teams when playing at home. 

The fact he get's heavily boo'ed everywhere he goes doesn't seem to help matters either, being an emotional guy.

I don't see him moving any time soon though.

Edited by supernova26

Â