The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Strange move from all but credit to him for taking the challenge, if think Villa fans are impatient well Valencia are a lot worse so he needs hit the ground running

Pity it will mean more Thierry Henry or Jamie Redknapp on Sky :(

Big risk from his point of view.  If you're getting into club management it's safer to do it where language isn't a barrier.  Not to mention at a lower level than top flight.

El jobs for la boys.

He'll need to learn Spanish or have a working knowledge of it pretty quickly as I was surprised Moyes was still doing his team talks in English this season which played a part in his sacking.

I suppose looking at it Valenica have a pretty good first 11....Matt Ryan, Abendoour, Feghouli, Paco Aalacer etc and they're underachieved in the league so far so if he gets them top 4 that will get them another season.

I'm surprised he'll still be with England, you'd think it would be more useful in international breaks to learn Spanish and find out a bit more about La Liga.

Real Madrid have fielded an ineligible player in the cup against Cadiz this evening, Denis Cheryshev should have been suspended for one game in the Copa del Rey after collecting three yellow cards in the competition last season while on loan at Villarreal.  

It seemed to break on social media during the match and bizarrely he was substituted in the first minute of the second half, but he'd already scored a goal in the first half. Cadiz will have to complain about this, right? 

Osasuna were disqualified from this seasons Copa del Rey after fielding an ineligible player in the competition last year. 

Benitez has just said in the post game press conference that they didn't know Cheryshev was suspended and substituted him as soon as they found out as a gesture of good faith.   I'm not sure that really cuts it Rafa. 

I think he could be a good manager. I said before we appointed Sherwood that if we were going to gamble on an unproven Englishman I would prefer Neville over Sherwood.

Based on nothing more than a hunch, but there you go.

I'm really surprised he's gone abroad for his first job

He's got a couple of connections with Valencia though, Phil Neville is out there as assistant manager (and Spanish league rules dictate that he can't take the main job as he's not got his UEFA coaching badges yet) and of course Peter Lim is majority shareholder in Valencia and is a partner with both Neville brothers (and the rest of the Class of 92) with Salford City FC.  

I'd think Valencia is probably the only place he'd go to overseas at this point in his career. He needs to learn Spanish pretty quickly though, I'm not sure how Phil's Spanish is these days but I'd hope he's moved on from talking about jizzing on the beach. 

• Like 1

Â