The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Barcelona game tonight is being streamed live on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc2G6SYarB0

It's not just Barcelona vs Espanyol for free, it's all the Copa del Rey games:  (link)

At the time of writing it's only Barca vs Espanyol playing, but Atletico Madrid vs Eibar is on at 9pm (UK time) and tomorrow it's Eibar vs Las Palmas and Cadiz vs Celta Vigo.  There are archives of other fixtures on the channel too. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

It's not just Barcelona vs Espanyol for free, it's all the Copa del Rey games:  (link)

At the time of writing it's only Barca vs Espanyol playing, but Atletico Madrid vs Eibar is on at 9pm (UK time) and tomorrow it's Eibar vs Las Palmas and Cadiz vs Celta Vigo.  There are archives of other fixtures on the channel too. 

I didn't realise the entire cup was beng shown. Cheers.

58 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

2 games in 24 hours will really **** up Eibar

might even resort to have to play Luna :P

Oops. :D

Still, Mark Hughes once played for Wales and Bayern Munich in the same day and it didn't do him much harm so maybe Eibar will thrive on having a second chance in the cup! 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Oops. :D

Still, Mark Hughes once played for Wales and Bayern Munich in the same day and it didn't do him much harm so maybe Eibar will thrive on having a second chance in the cup! 

Well, they were given a bleeding second chance in the ******* league - don't get me started.

getting outplayed at Mestalla as well by Rayo, he will be under enormous pressure

funnily enough they are doing well in the cup and when Koeman was there they were atrocious in the league with them in a relegation battle and won the cup so maybe lightning strike twice

Just caught up on some of the goals from earlier.  Has Gareth Bale turned into Dion Dublin or something?  He's just scoring header after header after header this season. There have been whispers about Real planning to cash in on Ronaldo while he's still worth a bit of money (PSG keep getting linked) and I think if this transfer ban hadn't have happened then it might have happened this summer because Bale looks like the sort of player who can fill in for Ronaldo.  Maybe he won't' be as prolific but I'm not sure that actually matters. 

I'm not even sure it's the transfer fee, it's more Ronaldo's seemingly weird attitude to not being the most expensive player in the world and people (including the media) in Madrid's willingness to pander to him.  I'm not sure you can make any argument against Bale being a huge success on the pitch in Madrid, he's averaging a goal every other game which is great for anybody but for a guy who role in the team doesn't place as high a priority on scoring as Ronaldo or Benzema it's doubly impressive.  Bale scores all kinds of goals too, the trademark screamers are still there but he can get in behind the last man, he can poach and all of a sudden he's scoring headers like they are going out of fashion.  A fabulous talent, I don't think we've had a Brit do so well overseas since Chris Waddle was strutting his stuff in France 25 years ago. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I meant more why people criticise him e.g. when he misses a chance or dosen't perform in a big game...it's always "an 80m player should be better or scoring that." Also people saying he should be scoring as many as Ronaldo does etc.

That wasn't why he was criticised by Real Madrid's fans. That centred on his lack of application during games, especially towards defending, and I have to say there was a degree of validity to it. The stats don't reveal the whole truth of his time in Spain, it's been patchy and not an unqualified success

But Bale has always been that kind of player.  He's an explosive footballer, he's rarely the guy who dominates games but more a guy who will win you tight matches and produce decisive moments in big games.  Madrid knew what they were buying and I think they have got precisely that. 

I see Suarez is now top scorer in la liga with 18 goals after his hat-trick tonight. When you count his assists as well, he's right up there now with the best in the world.

Edited by PaulC

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Koeman still got sacked shortly afterwards I think.

and rightfully so he made an absolute balls of club that Quique left him and some of players even went to court. Champions League to near relegation in about 3 months

Â