Running

trimandson

Congrats Emma!!!!! The time is awesome because you finished!!! *high five*

Meanwhile I am about to attempt running for the 3rd time today. This morning the smoke from all of the fires was just too much. My second attempt was more foolish because it was at the hottest part of the day so I barely made it a mile *I also didn't have my music. Turns out I need it* And Since work is ridiculous today I am about to leave and attempt one more run.

After never running more than 5km, I have run 10km twice in the last two weeks. I did 58:23 the first time and I felt totally fine, which was surprising as I thought I would be absolutely knackered. The second time I did it in 55:58 and I was pretty knackered but at the same time it was a hot day and I wasn't feeling match fit. I am getting married in 3 weeks and I really want to hit the 50 minute mark before then. Gonna be tough tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been neglecting this thread a bit.

After my 10k success I basicaly stopped running as I found it hard to motivate myself to go out and run.

So I decided I'd have to set myself another target. So I'm entering the Birmingham half marathon in October.

Training is going well. Took me a couple of runs to get over the 10k mark, probably psychological. But first time I did it I just kept running and did 8 miles, and on Tuesday of this week I did 10 miles.

Took me just over an hour and a half (I took it really steady)

I'm definitely at the point now where my lungs have overtaken my body. BY the end of my 10 miles I still had loads left in the tank, in terms of being out of breath, but my legs were totally gone. Tried to muster a sprint finish and even though my lungs were fine, I just couldn't get my legs to move any faster

But with about 4 months to the race, I'm feeling very confident about adding 3 miles to the run.

There's only one more step after that...

I've been neglecting this thread a bit.

After my 10k success I basicaly stopped running as I found it hard to motivate myself to go out and run.

Club. Club. Club. Club. Club.

Mike - just a quick question if you don't mind.

I'm approaching the big 40 later on this year, and on every run I now struggle with my joints (knee's and ankles) - In your opinion, is this an 'age' thing or another problem/issue I should investigate (finally managed to sort my back problems out after more then a few chiropratic sessions).

I'm approaching the big 40 later on this year, and on every run I now struggle with my joints (knee's and ankles) - In your opinion, is this an 'age' thing or another problem/issue I should investigate (finally managed to sort my back problems out after more then a few chiropratic sessions).

Hmmm, very hard to say.

I never get any trouble with my knees (or any other joints), although I do get achilles tendon issues, and now sciatica.

On the other hand this may be because my running history is slightly unusual - a few marathons in my late 20s/early 30s, and then pretty much nothing until I turned 50 and started again.

Quite a few of my club mates who are in my age bracket DO get knee issues, and I sometimes wonder if that's because of cumulative damage over all those years when they were running and I wasn't.

And then again, some of the long-term runners have no joint problems, and some of the younger ones do have them.

In short - who knows? Luck of the draw I suspect.

Get your feet checked out. Over half the population have over pronation but most will only feel the effects when they are older and the body takes more time to heal. Almost all running injuries are too doo with the feet. So go see a podiatrist. Most will give you exercises to strengthen you're arches and make your foot more flexible.

I hurt my ankle at football a fortnight ago so I haven't been running or playing football :(

I went for a swim yesterday as an alternative! An hours swimming tires me out less than half an hour running!

I should be having my first run out tomorrow after a four month break (through injury). Can't bloody wait!

I shall of course, be breathing through my arse after a mile or so, but them's the breaks :)

I should be having my first run out tomorrow after a four month break (through injury). Can't bloody wait!

I shall of course, be breathing through my arse after a mile or so, but them's the breaks :)

Pretty much exactly where I am.

Had my first run for several months a couple of days ago, and I was indeed puffing and panting like Thomas the Tank Engine.

But past experience tells me that it WILL come back, surprisingly quickly (provided I stay injury free).

I run in the gym because when I was heavier, my knees just couldn't put up with the harsh tarmac. I used to have osgood schlatters when I was a teenager which doesnt help me, even now.

But when I lost weight (only 4/6 pounds or so) then it felt much much better when I started to run.

I can now run solidly for 30 mins (not tried any further) without any problem.

I go to the gym 4/5 times a week which really helps get your fitness back quickly, as well as getting the most out of your monthly subscription (27 for me).

Just my two cents for the people with bad knees. :)

I used to have osgood schlatters
Ah yes, tibial tubercle apophyseal traction injury. Not unlike Sinding–Larsen–Johansson syndrome.

However did we manage before Google?

• 1 month later...

Just back from my first proper run after a Hernia op on Jul 05th no niggles to report 4.11miles in 30mins

did some cycling and elliptical work last week to test the waters so to speak

its a big relief to be back on the roads again!

Although it may seem a bit early, I am anticipating winter training already ( for bike-racing). However, the roads over he last 2 winters have been too damn dangerous and I am contemplating more 'jogging' -cant really call my efforts 'running'.

Tried it a couple of times last year - not very far -perhaps 2.5 miles but pulled a muscle in calf and had to stop. So am thinking of going to Bourne Sports in Stoke for some 'proper' trainers - am told they can put you on a treadmill. Is this likely to be worth it and what price range would you look at. Cheers

Just back from my first proper run after a Hernia op on Jul 05th no niggles to report 4.11miles in 30mins

did some cycling and elliptical work last week to test the waters so to speak

its a big relief to be back on the roads again!

Very quick.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that was my return to competitive running after a seven month layoff. A hilly ten-mile leg of the Leeds Country Way Relay.

At 1:30-odd, that was ten minutes slower than last time I did it, and my legs feel like they've been beaten with baseball bats, but it's good to be racing again.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official, I'm back!

Been neglecting this thread as my running has taken a huge backwards step. Only about 2 months ago I was up to 10 and 11 mile runs in preperation for the half marathon I have planned for the end of October.

However, i went on Holiday for two weeks and, despite doing a 5 mile road race while I was there (which I did in 38:30, which is very quick for me, especially as it was around the winding hilly roads of southwest ireland) I did no running for the remaining two weeks.

Then, when I got back to Birmingham, I just couldn't run. part of it was motivating myself to go out and run, part of it was that when i actually did go out and run, I was slow, tired and had no stamina. One run i had to stop after 2.5 miles as ic ouldn't overcome "the demons"

Anyway, i decided to take it back to basics. I think my ultimate problem was the two weeks without any running just took the edge off my fitness and speed, so when i tried to get back into running, i was going too fast for what my body could cope with. So i restarted from 3 miles, slow pace, and tried to just jgo round and take some pleasure from it rather than pounding my way round and hating every minute of it.

And it's worked. Did 6.5 miles last night in 55 minutes. Nothing spectacularly fast, but it's well under my 9 minute mile target for the half marathon.

And most importantly I felt good. i could have run another couple of miles but chose not to.

So i've left myself a lot to do. 6 weeks to go with adding a mile a week is more or less perfect timing, but doesn't allow for any setbacks.

But the point is, i feel good about running again, I no longer completely dread going on runs, and I can actually picture myself completing this hafl marathon rather than failing miserably!

Â