Running

trimandson

Need a bit of coaching guys.

My run is in a week (next Sunday)

What should I be doing this week? Should I rest completely for the week? Should I do a 10k on Tuesday and then rest until Sunday?

Should I do a couple of short runs just to keep me going?

Also, anyone got any advice on what I should eat the day or two before the race so I have plenty of energy?

Thanks all

I wouldn't rest all week, no. For a marathon you'd be "tapering" in the final week, but even then you shouldn't miss a whole week.

It's kinda down to the person, but personally I'd do a couple of runs, probably one short one and one longer (6-8 miles) - but at a steady pace. Nothing the day before.

One of my running club mates gave me this tip - on the morning of the race, get up early and do a short (1-2 miles) run - including a bit of faster tempo in the middle of it. Then go home and shower and go to your race. Warm up before the start, and then just go for it. I found it quite effective - my theory is that it sort of gets your body (and brain) used to the idea that today is going to be a running day - especially if you're mainly used to running in the evening.

Others may disagree, of course.

Cheers MIke, much appreciated.

I'm not sure I could manage 2 10k's in a week.

Not as in I wouldn't be able to physically run them, I could. But I don't think that if I ran 10k on, say, Wednesday, that I'd have fully recovered by Sunday to be able to give it my best. So I'l probably do 5 miles on Tuesday and a shorter one, say 3-4 miles on Thursday, then rest up until Sunday.

That last bit sounds interesting. Sounds risky, but I might just give that a go. I do think it normally takes me a while to get into my stride, so maybe if I took that option it would cure that problem.

Just to be devil's advocate for a moment...

I once had a bit of a "needle match" with a running mate over trying to beat each other in a 5K race. I know he trained sensibly, but by way of experiment I didn't run at all for the week before the race (not something I would normally do, as I said in the post above).

I blew him away, and got myself a new PB. My theory on that one was not so much that the rest did me good, as that I was hungry to run. It certainly felt that way at the start line.

Yeh I'm hoping that hunger, or at least the fact I'll be looking forward to it, will see me through.

I HATE running, I thinK I've said in here before. Can't stand it. So whenever I go out to do my runs I'm always dreading it beforehand, and I don't think that helps.

However, I'm really really looking forward to my run on Sunday. Can't wait to do it. I'm sure that motivation in itself will give me a good boost.

Also, I was considering setting off a 5minute per km pace. This is faster than I'm used to, as that pace would obviously see me home in 50 minutes, whereas the fastest I've ever done it is 54 (athough I haven't done it very often, so it's not like I've been trying to break 54 minutes for years or anything)

I was hoping with the adrenaline on the day and the extra push I want to give that setting off at this pace owuld give me a nice buffer to beat that 54 minutes, as well as potentially pushing me on to an even better time.

Good idea? or am I likely to just burn myself out too early. WOuld I be better off setting off at my normal pace and then making up some time later on if I'm feeling good?

Also, I was considering setting off a 5minute per km pace. This is faster than I'm used to, as that pace would obviously see me home in 50 minutes, whereas the fastest I've ever done it is 54 (athough I haven't done it very often, so it's not like I've been trying to break 54 minutes for years or anything)

I was hoping with the adrenaline on the day and the extra push I want to give that setting off at this pace owuld give me a nice buffer to beat that 54 minutes, as well as potentially pushing me on to an even better time.

Good idea? or am I likely to just burn myself out too early. WOuld I be better off setting off at my normal pace and then making up some time later on if I'm feeling good?

Starting off fast is risky for all but the very good runners. The adrenaline rush isn't going to last for the best part of an hour.

I'd set a target time, work out your required mile splits and stick to them. If by chance you're feeling good in the second half of the race, you might even be able to step it up a bit - start picking off the slower runners, go past them one at a time, target the next one, and so on to the finish.

Works for me. Sometimes.

Yeh I thought that would probably be the sensible option.

I normally set off faster than I finish anyway, just because I get tired in the second half of the race. So 5 min/km probably wouldn't be that much different than my usual starting pace.

But yeh, I think I'll work out what i need to run to make 54 minutes, stick to that, then reassess at about 5k. I'll be pushing the last 2km regardless, so if I can stick to 54 minute pace up until then I'll be sorted.

I HATE running, I thinK I've said in here before. Can't stand it. So whenever I go out to do my runs I'm always dreading it beforehand, and I don't think that helps.

That's similar to Me. I don't hate running but the thought of going for a run wears me out.

Once I'm running I'm okay, but it's getting the effort up to actually get off my ass and leave the house.

That's similar to Me. I don't hate running but the thought of going for a run wears me out.

Once I'm running I'm okay, but it's getting the effort up to actually get off my ass and leave the house.

This is where a club (or at least some running partners) comes in handy.

Joining a club probably would help, although when I'm running I'm fine with my headphones on. It's just getting up and actually leaving the house that I have a problem with! I'm considering taking up swimming, because it'll be easier on my ankles.

Also, if I pay for gym/ swim membership, I'm pretty sure my want to get value for money will outweigh my reluctance to get off my ass!

Did this one yesterday: Runtastic Map

Not especially quick but I'm very happy with the pace. I'm most happy with the fact that when I got to the last mile I felt really fresh and sprinted the last bit. I could quite easily have gone on to a half-marathon. The legs are fine today and I should be OK at this level of training for my Marathon at the Eden Project in October. Just in case anyone wants to donate here is the page: My Justgiving Page :)

Went for my final run on Tuesday ebfore my race on SUnday. It was a flyer. Did 4 miles in 32:14, fastest I've ever done it, quite comfortably. And I had to cross the coventry road which took ages, so i reckon without that it could have been sub 32.

That's 50 minute pace for my 10k. Not sure I could keep the pace up for an extra 2 and a bit miles, but I could certainly have run the extra distance if not a little bit slower. So I'm confident I can attacj the run on Sunday.

Was going to run tonight but I'm playing 5 aside football instead. Should give me a nice workout anyway. Then I'll be resting until Sunday.

Can't wait now!

Off shortly for an MRI scan .. Knees have gone again , seems my original surgeon was right after all and I should take up knitting :-(

was 5 years since the op so i'm hoping technology has moved on and they might be able to get me back up and running again

bummer

Off shortly for an MRI scan .. Knees have gone again , seems my original surgeon was right after all and I should take up knitting :-(

was 5 years since the op so i'm hoping technology has moved on and they might be able to get me back up and running again

bummer

I feel your pain, Tone.

Every time I try some form of strenous exercise, be it football, running etc, I get injured.

Turns out it's all to do with body dynamics. My lower back and hips are not good, and lead to tight thighs and Calves, which in turn lead to knee and achilles tendon injuries. Constantly. Been having physio on and of for 5 years, and have loads of stretches to do when i go to the gym.

As you say, bummer. Not been able to run properly now for 2 years :(

Went for my final run on Tuesday ebfore my race on SUnday. It was a flyer. Did 4 miles in 32:14, fastest I've ever done it, quite comfortably. And I had to cross the coventry road which took ages, so i reckon without that it could have been sub 32.

That's 50 minute pace for my 10k. Not sure I could keep the pace up for an extra 2 and a bit miles, but I could certainly have run the extra distance if not a little bit slower. So I'm confident I can attacj the run on Sunday.

Was going to run tonight but I'm playing 5 aside football instead. Should give me a nice workout anyway. Then I'll be resting until Sunday.

Can't wait now!

Good luck Sir.

I will be watching from the streets, followed by some post race beers with my mate who's running.

Can't wait now!

Good luck Sir.

I will be watching from the streets, followed by some post race beers with my mate who's running.

I'll be wearing a tshirt that says "I LOVE PIES" (replace love with a big heart)

We've worn them the last 2 runs we've done, but my mate's lost his. So if you see anyone wearing a shirt like that then give us a wave!

My knee's causing me problems now too. SOmething that's been there for ages, been to see physios and stuff about it but it won't go away. It's getting worse recently, so I'll give it a good rest once Sunday's out of the way.

After Sunday's race I'll be going for a large Pizza Hut followed by a beer and a cigarette, all of which I've had none of, or very little of, since the start of the year. Can't wait!

Can't wait now!

Good luck Sir.

I'll be wearing a tshirt that says "I LOVE PIES" (replace love with a big heart)

We've worn them the last 2 runs we've done, but my mate's lost his. So if you see anyone wearing a shirt like that then give us a wave!

My knee's causing me problems now too. SOmething that's been there for ages, been to see physios and stuff about it but it won't go away. It's getting worse recently, so I'll give it a good rest once Sunday's out of the way.

After Sunday's race I'll be going for a large Pizza Hut followed by a beer and a cigarette, all of which I've had none of, or very little of, since the start of the year. Can't wait!

I'll keep an eye out for you Stevo. What wave are you in (start time)?

Re: the knee. If the pain is under the kneecap area, it's likely to be a tight knee tendon which is one of my problems. Sports massages and various stretches help. It's caused when your thigh muscle gets too tight, and the knee tendon cannot then bear the load comfortable. If not, just ignore what i've written!

Good luck - it's a great day out and really enjoyable run, even if you do have to run exactly past old trafford (spit).

Pain is on the side of the knee. It's never excrutiating pain, more like an uncomfortable throb. Doesn't hurt as much as doesn't feel right.

And it's not there all the time, I'll be absoluitely fine for half an hour and then it'll suddenly go.

It's really hard to see the doctor or physio about though because it only hurts after I've been running for a while. So when I go in and they poke and prod and say "Does this hurt" I can't answer them, because at that point it doesn't.

Doctor thought it was my knee cap slipping, but the physio disagreed. Regardless, no-one fixed it!

Anyway, I'm in the blue wave, although I might start in the green wave as that's the one my mate's in. It'll be one of those two anyway.

I'll save an extra big blob of phlem for the run past OT

Actually, whilst the pain isn't under the kneecap, what you've written there is very similar to what the physio suggested. He said something about the muscle down the side of my leg (outside) needing to be stretched out as it was rubbing on my knee...or something.

The stretches he gave me do seem to work to be fair, but they don't solve the problem completely.

Turns out it's all to do with body dynamics

I feel your pain also ....

i think that's the same for me as well , I appear to have suffered from severe tightness around the IT band ?? which means my muscles are pulling my knees out of position and caused excessive wear and tear ... i had arthroscopes on each knee but the second one pretty much did for me about 4 years ago ... I made a fitness comeback last year but it's gone again so I fear the worse

there is a canoe club near me so i will check that out as my last throw of the dice for fitness !! or I could give up spare ribs and chocolate which accounts for far too much of my calorie intake ....

I did this run yesterday around Sutton Park, I'm training for the Fun Run on 5th June which is 8 miles, I could get my split times down a bit I think but I as this is my first proper run I just want to do it comfortably and push on for further runs in the future.

http://tinyurl.com/6cp6b2

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with my training between now and then?

Â