Running

trimandson

I'm really flat footed, whenever I run for a period of time the insides of my feet feel bruised for a day or two, I currently run in Puma Cells.

Is there anything I can do to stop the pain or is that just because I'm flat footed?

I'm really flat footed, whenever I run for a period of time the insides of my feet feel bruised for a day or two, I currently run in Puma Cells.

Is there anything I can do to stop the pain or is that just because I'm flat footed?

Chuck out the Pumas.

Motion control shoes

I've been running just over 9 months reguarly now - covering about 50km a week . Until my last 4 runs I've had no injury problems at all. However, now after around 2 miles, I get a dull pain on the outside of my left knee which gets so bad I have to stop running.

Looking at sites on the net, it looks like I have iliotibial band syndrome :( Is it worth a trip to the docs over this, and does anybody have any tips for stretching / removing the tightness? Is it safe to run through as I really don't want to stop running.

I used to have a very similar problem. It's a really uncomfortable pain? Feels like somethign just "isn't right"

I went to the docs who suggested my knee cap might be slipping so sent me for physio.

Physio just said it was somethign to do with the muscle not being stretched properly and rubbing against somethign or other.

Point is, he gave me some specific stretches to do, especially before exercise, and it pretty much cleared it up.

Morale of the story, pop into the docs and get referred to a physio. They should sort you out.

Yep that's it. Literally no pain for 2-3 miles, then it gradually builds up as a dull ache on the outside of my left knee until I can't bear it. I'll pop to the doctors. Cheers for the advice, at least knowing stretching worked for you is encouraging.

I've noticed the outer left heel of my running shoe tends to wear out quicker too, so I'm obviously running with a gammy leg which probably isn't helping.

I've been running just over 9 months reguarly now - covering about 50km a week . Until my last 4 runs I've had no injury problems at all. However, now after around 2 miles, I get a dull pain on the outside of my left knee which gets so bad I have to stop running.

Looking at sites on the net, it looks like I have iliotibial band syndrome :( Is it worth a trip to the docs over this, and does anybody have any tips for stretching / removing the tightness? Is it safe to run through as I really don't want to stop running.

I used to have a very similar problem. It's a really uncomfortable pain? Feels like somethign just "isn't right"

I went to the docs who suggested my knee cap might be slipping so sent me for physio.

Physio just said it was somethign to do with the muscle not being stretched properly and rubbing against somethign or other.

Point is, he gave me some specific stretches to do, especially before exercise, and it pretty much cleared it up.

Morale of the story, pop into the docs and get referred to a physio. They should sort you out.

Yep that's it. Literally no pain for 2-3 miles, then it gradually builds up as a dull ache on the outside of my left knee until I can't bear it. I'll pop to the doctors. Cheers for the advice, at least knowing stretching worked for you is encouraging.

I've noticed the outer left heel of my running shoe tends to wear out quicker too, so I'm obviously running with a gammy leg which probably isn't helping.

Yes sounds exactly like mine.

Just don't let the doctor fob you off with "rest". Tell him you've rested it for weeks and it's still the same and it's stopping you from exercising.

But yeah, the stretches worked for me. Hasn't caused me any bother for a couple of years now

I get this too on my right knee. I find using a foam roller and rolling my IT bands help. Hurts like hell mind but certainly helps.

Back to running properly again tonight, been half-arsed last couple of months since moving and Mrs having baby. Noticed the trousers are getting tight again and I still have a Triathlon to complete in September, so training starts in earnest.

• 3 weeks later...

This left leg disaster area (sciatica, achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis) is REALLY pissing me off now. Three physios, three different diagnoses. Stretches and exercises, orthotics, ice, rest, you name it, I've tried it.

Did a ONE mile jog with the missus on Saturday, ended up limping all weekend.

I'm close to giving it all up.

Just got back from my longest ever run of 7.2Miles :D

My previous best was about 5. My stamina felt like I could have gone on longer but I was definitely ready to stop (feet are hurting now).

Feels good though :)

Gently gently. Lets not get an injury through over ambition!

This left leg disaster area (sciatica, achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis) is REALLY pissing me off now. Three physios, three different diagnoses. Stretches and exercises, orthotics, ice, rest, you name it, I've tried it.

Tried barefoot?

I downloaded the Nike+ GPS app last week and nothing has ever motivated as much as that has to just get out there and beat my longest run, fastest mile and just build up my total miles. 7 runs in 10 days and I'm really enjoying it, I'm hooked. Got past my first 10k on Saturday and was over the moon.

Yesterday, I signed up to do the Birmingham Half Marathon in October. I had absolutely no idea you had to pay to enter these things, £32!?

Tried barefoot?

Oh God, I knew someone would say that.

No. I know all the arguments, but it just sounds insane. Maybe on a tartan track, but city pavements (and offroad cowpastures)? And no way am I wearing those Vibram Fivefinger things.

I downloaded the Nike+ GPS app last week and nothing has ever motivated as much as that has to just get out there and beat my longest run, fastest mile and just build up my total miles. 7 runs in 10 days and I'm really enjoying it, I'm hooked. Got past my first 10k on Saturday and was over the moon.

Yesterday, I signed up to do the Birmingham Half Marathon in October. I had absolutely no idea you had to pay to enter these things, £32!?

When you run it and realise just how much organisation must go into those things and ho wmany people need to be employed on the day (and at other times) you'll understand why you need to pay.

They are massive events.

Â