Running

trimandson

Thanks for the replies folks, I'm sitting here at work now, show off, foot strapped (found some good techniques on Youtube) and regularly doing the tennis ball massage with throwing some Nurofen in for good measure.

Tonight I'll be home and following the icing "regime" the podiatrist gave me.

Fingers crossed this eases up by the time my run comes around.

I'm really missing going for a run... :(
Tell me about it. Four weeks now. Grrrr.

It's crap isn't it, I'd never really did any outdoor running until just under 2 months ago, the first time I did my legs were in bits but now I'm loving it and plan to join up with Park Run in a few weeks.

The B'ham half marathon is the next big run on my list.

Sorry to be ignorant, why can't you run? :(
Who? Me?

1) Extensor tendonitis (top of the foot)

2) Sciatica (lower back and left leg)

Both VERY slowly improving.

:( I feel for you, I've been having niggling injury one after the other and its been really pissing me off because as soon as I seem to hit a positive with my running something happens to set me back.

Does anyone use protein shakes to aid their training?

@Dodgyknees.

Cool.

Which ones do you use?

How do they help? More energy?

Whey protein is the obvious and also I found that soya protein is a good supplement to help recover after long sessions. I used a totally different protein shake for gym than I do running. The ones I go for are more about aiding recovery than giving me the extra energy. Sorry that isn't much help is it :(

Edited: If you tend to suffer heart-burn a lot then I would be careful again as some of the powders can bring heart-burn on which when running can be a pig. Luckily I don't but am just passing on the advice given to me.

Oh and if you do go the powder route, don't take it with milk, water is best IMHO.

And whilst I am here, currently keep getting pains in the back of my calves, just an ache so again not been for a run today. Having a warm bath really helps, as does an ibuprofen gel, was hoping to be out running again tomorrow but this is bugging me. Any ideas?

My foot seems to be a bit easier today but I'm still nowhere near being able to run, fingers crossed it keeps improving day on day from now on and I "should" be able to make the run.

Does anyone use protein shakes to aid their training?

@Dodgyknees.

Cool.

Which ones do you use?

How do they help? More energy?

Whey protein is the obvious and also I found that soya protein is a good supplement to help recover after long sessions. I used a totally different protein shake for gym than I do running. The ones I go for are more about aiding recovery than giving me the extra energy. Sorry that isn't much help is it :(

Edited: If you tend to suffer heart-burn a lot then I would be careful again as some of the powders can bring heart-burn on which when running can be a pig. Luckily I don't but am just passing on the advice given to me.

Oh and if you do go the powder route, don't take it with milk, water is best IMHO.

Thanks for the info :)

"And whilst I am here, currently keep getting pains in the back of my calves, just an ache so again not been for a run today. Having a warm bath really helps, as does an ibuprofen gel, was hoping to be out running again tomorrow but this is bugging me. Any ideas?"

The calf problem sounds annoying. I have a similar problem myself since I changed my running pattern to hit the ground more towards the front of the foot rather than the heel. I think this pattern is much more demanding on calf muscles which haven't really worked much for the last 20 years. The good thing is I dont get as much knee pain.

On the subject of the calf muscles I think their job is two fold during running. Firstly to decelerate progression of the tibia as it moves over your grounded foot. Secondly to provide propulsion during the toe off or push off phase. This second stage might be the key as I believe they tend to act in unison with the glutes and hamstrings which pull the hip backwards at the same time. If these muscles become weakened over the years it tends to overstrain the calf simply because it acts alone in the propulsive phase without any help. In other words as you get to the toe-off phase with your back leg, try to get a sense of pulling back with the hip aswell. One problem however may be that your glutes might not do too much at all i.e. they are just incapable. Try lying on your back and doing a one leg bridge. You should be able to maintain good allignment, without hamstring cramp or back pain for a minimum of 20 seconds. Its a reasonable test of glutes power. On the other hand your calf muscles might just be weak. Could you manage a minimum of of 15 one leg toe raises ? Hope this helps anyway.

Foot and ankle are well on the mend, been doing a lot of cross training and bike work at the gym, also done some pool work too.

Got some orthotics on the way and I'll be getting some new trainers this week too.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to do a light run on Weds / Thurs.

Right, saw the physio this morning (DAMNED attractive woman, incidentally), and she reckons it's an imbalance issue - my pelvis is slightly lower on one side. Apart from the usual stretches and exercise, she suggested orthotics in the left shoe only. Will probably give that a go.

I finally managed to run a whole 25 minutes yesterday with no stopping or anything, I am very proud of the fact that 5 weeks ago I couldn't run for 2 minutes and now I'm doing 25, it might be at a very slow speed but it was damn hard and I am soooo happy!

As long as it's "hard" then it doesn't matter how far or long you're running for.

You're pushing yourself and that's what makes you go further and faster in future.

When I first did a 10k, I couldn't walk for a week after. THis time around, I started at 2.5 miles, it was really tough and I could barely do it without stopping. Now I@m knocking out a 10k run every week and looking to go further.

Well done emma, you'll be running for an hour in no time!

Nothing like a good run that feeling of fitness and the great outdoors is a great one, saying that i havent ran since when i was training for the army. I stay away from running at the moment as im actually trying to put on weight.

I finally managed to run a whole 25 minutes yesterday with no stopping or anything, I am very proud of the fact that 5 weeks ago I couldn't run for 2 minutes and now I'm doing 25, it might be at a very slow speed but it was damn hard and I am soooo happy!

:thumb: You're there now, the 5k will come easily and you'll have no problem kicking on from there if you want.

Right then, feel it's time to supplement my training with some endurance, so might have to give this running lark a go.

How important are running shoes? I'm going to be looking at the couch to 10k plan to start, and running outdoors rather than being a pussy on a treadmill, so how important is my choice of footwear and is it really worth getting custom fitted running shoes based on analysis of your gait?

Right then, feel it's time to supplement my training with some endurance, so might have to give this running lark a go.

How important are running shoes? I'm going to be looking at the couch to 10k plan to start, and running outdoors rather than being a pussy on a treadmill, so how important is my choice of footwear and is it really worth getting custom fitted running shoes based on analysis of your gait?

Yes, worth it. No big deal - you're not getting them custom made, just selecting the right sort off the shelf. Find a decent sports shoe shop for your first pair, after that you can play it by ear.

And (here I go again, sorry if you've heard it before) - find your local running club. For my money, better than all other advice.

Â