Running

trimandson

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ That's impressive.

My problem is that the heat is starting to really kick my butt!!! I tried getting up earlier but with my schedule 730am is about the best I can do. By the time I am half way through my run it's almost 90!!! I actually got sick the other day after a run. I would just run at night but it really isn't safe. Any tips would be great. Although I'm starting to think the only advice anyone can give is ...suck it up and keep running anyway.

I've been for a run on my day off, thursday, each week for the last month. I'm slowly getting better!

Starting off; I managed 2.4 miles in 26 minutes. Yesterday I managed 3.7 miles in about 30 minutes.

I'm at work atm and I'm considering leaving my car at work, going out on the lash, then running from Halesowen to work (Birmingham) Tomorrow to fetch my car!

Though if I do that, I'll probably end up walking the last half.

Been for a run tonight, still doing the couch to 5km at the moment coming to the end, did around 28 minutes of constant running today so happy as it's only been 6 weeks since I started.

I've got my run a week on sunday so probably 3 more sessions before then and I have the route of the run so will have to do that on one run. Anyone have any tips on what I should be doing this week leading up to the race?

I would just run at night but it really isn't safe

:? Mind telling me why?

Probably because very few places in the world are as safe as where you live.

Right then, feel it's time to supplement my training with some endurance, so might have to give this running lark a go.

How important are running shoes? I'm going to be looking at the couch to 10k plan to start, and running outdoors rather than being a pussy on a treadmill, so how important is my choice of footwear and is it really worth getting custom fitted running shoes based on analysis of your gait?

Yes, worth it. No big deal - you're not getting them custom made, just selecting the right sort off the shelf. Find a decent sports shoe shop for your first pair, after that you can play it by ear.

And (here I go again, sorry if you've heard it before) - find your local running club. For my money, better than all other advice.

Find a proper running shop.

Running Shoes Explained

Training shoes are your normal everyday trainers. They may be a lightweight trainer or even a trail shoe, but the most important thing about training shoes is that they fit properly and they are the right type of shoe for your foot. When we say the "right type of shoe for your foot", we mean that they give you the proper amount of arch support and cushioning based on your biomechanics and injury history.

Generally, there are three categories of running shoes: Motion Control, Stability, and Cushion. Shoes are classified based upon the amount of stability (pronation control) they provide the wearer's foot. There are many gray areas between the categories, so we define Light Motion Control, Light Stability, and Light Cushion categories for those shoes who do not meet the full requirements of the 3 main categories.

Lightweight trainers and trail running shoes are special-purpose training shoes. The support given by these types of shoes ranges from Stability to Light Cushion.

There is a common misconception that shoes that are stable are not cushioned. While it is true that stable shoes may be firmer in certain areas of the midsole (this is what helps provide the stability), supportive shoes have just as much cushioning as a shoe labeled "Cushion".

Motion Control Running Shoes:

Motion Control shoes are designed for the severe overpronator. A severe overpronator has a foot whose arch is too flexible and collapses excessively. This causes the foot to roll inward at an extreme angle and puts strain on the shins, knees, and lower back. Motion Control shoes are straight lasted and have a very broad base for support. Motion Control shoes will also have either a dual density midsole or a rollbar, or both, for added pronation control. Don't assume that just because a company or magazine says a shoe is "Motion Control" that it is. Test the shoe by twisting it to make sure it is rigid through the arch.

Light Motion Control Running Shoes:

Light Motion Control shoes are designed for the severe overpronator, but they are not as stable as Motion Control shoes. The overpronating foot has a flexible arch that collapses and causes the rolls in excessively. A Light Motion Control shoe is fairly straight lasted, rigid and broad through the arch, and has either a dual density midsole or rollbar for added stability.

Stability Running Shoes:

A Stability shoe is best for a mild to moderate overpronator, which is about 85% of the population. Overpronation is the excessive inward rolling motion of the foot. When an overpronator's foot hits the ground, the foot rolls inward (pronates) to absorb shock, but continues to pronate past a point that is considered healthy. Then, when the foot goes into the push-off phase and the foot is still in an overpronated position, it places a great deal of strain on the ankle, lower leg, knee, and lower back. Overpronation is the cause of many running injuries: IT band syndrome, shin splints, plantar fasciitis, the list goes on and on (too long)! By wearing the right type of shoe and training wisely, you can help to prevent injury. A Stability shoe has a built-in device to limit overpronation- and there really are only two-either a dual density midsole or a rollbar. A Stability shoe must also be rigid through the arch- try bending the shoe in the middle- if it flexes easily through the arch, it's not going to give good arch support.

Light Stability Running Shoes:

A Light Stability shoe is best for someone with a neutral gait cycle or a very mild overpronator. This type of foot has an arch that collapses slightly to absorb shock for the body. A shoe with some added stability features like a dual density midsole will give some support to this type of foot. A Light Stability shoe is somewhat flexible through the arch, but with enough rigidity to give some stability.

Cushion Running Shoes :

A Cushion shoe is best for the supinator or someone with a neutral gait cycle. This type of foot has a fairly rigid arch that does not collapse and therefore the foot does not absorb enough shock for the body. This type of foot needs a shoe that is all cushioning, with very little stability because the foot is stable enough . A Cushion shoe is flexible through the arch to allow the foot as much motion as possible.

Light Cushion Running Shoes:

A Light Cushion running shoe is best for a true supinator or underpronator. A supinator generally has a high arch and a rigid foot structure. This type of foot does not absorb enough shock for the body, therefore the shoe must do some of the work. A Light Cushion running shoe is not a very substantial shoe- it is all cushioning, with minimal arch support. A Light Cushion shoe is extremely flexible through the arch to allow the foot as much motion as possible. In general, a Light Cushion shoe will break down rather quickly (less than 400 miles).

Light Weight Trainers:

Lightweight trainers are (suprise! ) lighter weight training shoes, which are made lighter by reducing the amount of EVA or cushioning in the midsole and by using thinner, lighter weight materials in the upper. Some lightweight trainers are not as stable or as well cushioned as a full-fledged training shoe. Therefore, if you need a lot of stability, a lightweight trainer is probably not a good shoe for you as an everyday trainer. You would be better off getting a good stability or motion control shoe for your everyday trainer. Then, if you want a second, lighter shoe for speed workouts or racing, a stable lightweight trainer would be a good choice. Just be sure that the model you choose has stability features like a dual density midsole and is rigid through the arch. The DS-Trainer from Asics is usually one of the more stable lightweight trainers. However, if you don't have severe biomechanical problems and you are an efficient runner, a lightweight trainer could work for you as an everyday trainer.

Trail Running Shoes:

Trail shoes are extremely popular these days, but for the most part they are more fashion than function. Trail shoes generally have a more durable, less breathable upper to keep the wet stuff out. To give the wearer more traction, the outsole is thicker and more rugged than most training shoes. With most trail shoes, the outsole wraps up around the front of the toes to protect them from bumps. Trail shoes can make good training shoes and some are more stable than others. As with all training shoes, if you have flexible or low arches you will need a shoe that is stable, so look for a shoe that has stability devices and is rigid through the arch. There are few trail shoes that are built for overpronators, so if you need stability, be careful.

Drunken hobos for a start. And I'm not kidding. Also where I live isn't very well lit.

Ha I agree, one of the few perks of living here.

Well I did the fun run on Sunday, after losing a couple of weeks training I would of been happy for something around the 1h30m mark but I did in it in 1h21m and felt great afterwards.

I'm definately going to things like this on a more regular basis now.

Are there any running clubs in B'ham you guys would recommend?

Been a few weeks into my Marathon training now and it's going really well. 124 days to the event.

I've come down from just about 15 stone to about 14st 2 and I'm now starting to feel like an athlete. I do 4 miles on Wednesdays and Fridays, interval training on Thursdays. Long runs (currently at 13 miles) on Sundays and recovery training on Mondays.

My longest so far was 11.15 last weekend, almost 10 min / mile and I felt great near the end. Was going to carry on to the half Marathon but the legs starting going stiff. Loosened up near home again and I started sprinting so that was really good. 13 scheduled for this Sunday.

Fastest 4 mile was 4:03 in 33:57 . That's fast for me :)

I didn't realise how much dehydration was affecting me so I've bought a Cambelbak Delaney Race . My heels hurt most of the time but my knees are fine, so I'm obviously not an overpronater like I thought as I use Asics Gel Nimbus 12s

Oh finally, I can't recommend RunKeeper enough. Love it.

I'll be happy to finish it.

I'll be very happy to do it in under 4 hours.

I think 10 mins / mile is a decent long distance pace which equates to 26 miles in 4h 20m, so I'll need to be nearer 9m / mile. I'm hoping I'll be fit and light enough at that time to be able to do that.

Had to post to say I completed my run!! The weather was dreadful and I looked like a drowned rat by the end, completed in 37mins, I know the time isn't brilliant but I was pleased to come in under 40mins and it was first time I'd actually ran a full 5km!

Â