Running

trimandson

Mooney is right. It's become sort of a fad here. I am now working on a lot of foot problems, knee injuries, sprains, and shin splints. Get some shoes with good support.

You working for Asics, Barnes? :)

I agree though, they are good. I'm OK with Sauconys, too.

Quite happily. The best Asics are brilliant if you have any gait issues. But I think a few other companies do some good shoes; Saucony, Brooks and New Balance do some good ones. I ve been led to believe that Mizuano do some good shoes as well. In general avoid the big three; Nike, Adidas and Puma, who in general sell shoes that are for people with perfect gait...

Once you find a good shoe; stick with it. I am still with Asics Gel Foundation 15 years later!

Quick update -

After the Great Eastern Run I did the National 6 Stage Relays in October and although the conditions were good I struggled around in 19:54. I was still pretty pleased to go under 20 minutes but everyone else seemed to go faster than the last event whereas I went backwards.

I then embarked on a month of road and cross country training which had injured me by the end. I picked up a foot injury, ran a cross country race last saturday like an idiot, and ended up damaging my foot tendons! I couldnt walk properly for three days, and I'm only starting to walk without a limp now (nearly a week later). I'm going to try running lightly on sunday but I probably wont be back in a race til the new year.

Ain't life a word removed sometimes?

You working for Asics, Barnes? :)

I agree though, they are good. I'm OK with Sauconys, too.

Quite happily. The best Asics are brilliant if you have any gait issues. But I think a few other companies do some good shoes; Saucony, Brooks and New Balance do some good ones. I ve been led to believe that Mizuano do some good shoes as well. In general avoid the big three; Nike, Adidas and Puma, who in general sell shoes that are for people with perfect gait...

Once you find a good shoe; stick with it. I am still with Asics Gel Foundation 15 years later!

I don't know what gait is, but I'm going to start running and I'm after some running shoes. Any other recommendations?

This thread repeats itself every ten pages or so.

Anyways....

I have a dilemma. I've basically got out of the routine of running, for a number of reasons - injuries and minor illnesses that then fed into apathy and inertia. I basically haven't run at for about ten weeks or more.

I have a place in the Leeds Abbey Dash tomorrow morning - a 10K that I've done every year for about the last 7 or 8 years. I've gone from "Can't/won't do it, I'm too unfit" to "Oh what the hell, I'll do it anyway". Until last night, when I came down with a dose of galloping food poisoning. I currently feel like a wet rag after a night on the shitter.

Tomorrow morning. 9.30, 10K. Do I do it, or not?

Hmmm, not sure I'd do it myself, naturally you're going to want to push yourself harder than you would if you were just out for a 'recreational' run. Not sure that's a good thing really..
True, but it won't kill me - I'll probably just feel crap and slow down to a plod. Which is always disappointing, but what the hell.

Late fitness test, I think.

Yeah but, even if you feel a bit shit on your late fitness test, you'll decide to do the race but sensibly not push yourself, and end up pushing yourself, so you're back to square one again.. Do you or don't you! hehe :D

Yeah but, even if you feel a bit shit on your late fitness test, you'll decide to do the race but sensibly not push yourself, and end up pushing yourself, so you're back to square one again.. Do you or don't you! hehe :D

Got me bang to rights there. :D

Well, I did it. Haven't seen the final chip time yet, but it was something just over 50 minutes. Which I would find pretty embarrassing normally, but under the circs, I'll take it.

Main thing was seeing my clubmates and getting a bit of motivation to start running again!

Â