Running

trimandson

Now only 3 weeks until my Marathon. I did 20(ish) miles on Sunday to at least get me used to the distance. It wasn't quick and I had to walk a few times near the end. I got to a point where every lower body movement felt like I was being stabbed in the legs and didn't feel like I could make the last mile.

As it's my first Marathon, it won't be quick and I'm just aiming to finish. This was my long one from the weekend

If anyone feels inclined, I'd be happy to receive sponsorship which goes towards the Worcestershire Breast Unit here

Im starting to get some speed and stamina back after my hernia op in July

just got back from a 30min run which came to 4.45 miles on my garmin (6.44min) pace

just need to lose 15lbs i've managed to put on over the last couple of years and then look at running a couple of Half marathons next year

good luck to those running in the Birmingham one next month

Been over 2 months since my last run and miss it terribly.

I've got what is known as Plantar Fasciitis and whilst it doesn't hurt whilst running, it is so painful afterwards.

I've had X-rays to ensure it's not a heel spur, and got some physio booked in next week.

I'm gutted, as I will have to miss the Birmingham Half Marathon next month and I've completed in the 3 previous ones.

Think I might just start planning for my 2012 comeback trail.

I've got what is known as Plantar Fasciitis and whilst it doesn't hurt whilst running, it is so painful afterwards.

I've had X-rays to ensure it's not a heel spur, and got some physio booked in next week.

Have you tried that thing where you roll a tennis ball under your foot? Supposed to help with PF.

Now only 3 weeks until my Marathon. I did 20(ish) miles on Sunday to at least get me used to the distance. It wasn't quick and I had to walk a few times near the end. I got to a point where every lower body movement felt like I was being stabbed in the legs and didn't feel like I could make the last mile.

As it's my first Marathon, it won't be quick and I'm just aiming to finish. This was my long one from the weekend

If anyone feels inclined, I'd be happy to receive sponsorship which goes towards the Worcestershire Breast Unit here

You ran to somewhere called "Lickey End" :crylaugh:

Have you tried that thing where you roll a tennis ball under your foot? Supposed to help with PF.

Yeap, done the tennis ball thing, as well as the ice pack - still no good I'm afraid.

Isn't Lickey the steepest incline in the entire British rail network?

Over the last few months, I've lost a fair bit of weight (about 3 stone) and got a bit fitter by power walking around the area where I live. I WANT to start running, but every time I try, my fitness is OK and I could keep going, but my knees and ankles absolutely hurt like buggery and I have to stop. Should I carry on regardless or am I risking injury? Would a better pair of trainers help, or is it just the accumulated effect of being a slob for 40 years that's taking its toll?

A better pair of trainers would probably work.

My advice, and I'm no expert, would just be to build up slowly and have plenty of rest in between.

So as soon as you feel your legs hurting too much, stop. Rest for a week and then do another run but add half a mile to last week's run.

As you get further you could try more regular runs too.

I'd say you'll be ok as long as you know your limit and don't try and go past it even if your lungs are telling you you can

Just about to head out for my 2 hour sunday run.

Summer wasnt fantastic for me, I went to Chicago to get a half marathon PB but it was far too hot. Summer races were up and down, but I had a fair few holidays. Still, I'm injury free and getting back into some sort of form. There were a few good races in there but nothing amazing. I seem to trail off a bit over the summer, with spring being the best season for me.

Its the Midlands 6-stage road relays next week at Sutton Park and following that I'll be doing the Great Eastern Run in Peterborough on 9th October, I'm hoping to run under 73 minutes (however I'll be delighted with under 75). Its a very fast course with potential. I'm not sure I'll be doing Birmingham as its a bloody ripoff and the course isnt very good.

Isn't Lickey the steepest incline in the entire British rail network?

On the mainline

Yup. I used to live in Bell End in Rowley Regis too.

I've been running regularly since June, and I've dropped 30 lbs, down from 200. I feel great, loads of stamina, and I get that running high, that is very addicting.

I've reached a point in my fitness where I think I've plateaued. Which makes me want to consider longer distances, and perhaps training for the Boston Marathon. A major concern is my tarsal coalition

but it hasn't been an issue all summer. That said, I haven't run more than 4 miles at a time.

I'm going to explore the potential some more. It'd be **** brilliant if I could manage to do it. I might PM a couple of you guys if I decide to go forward with things.

This thread and a challenge from a mate got me to start running 4 months back, I always enjoyed running but due to a couple of meniscus operations I have always been wary. I have had two weeks out from trying to run 10 miles and basically overloaded the knee but otherwise been pretty comfortable. I now run a few times a week around the parks in central London and love it and so happy I decided to push myself into it. Did my 2nd 10K yesterday and managed to take 5 mins off my time from my first one 9 weeks ago, so showing defintive improvement.

Hoping to get faster and fitter over the winter and get into doing Triathlons next year.

Â