Running

trimandson

I did this run yesterday around Sutton Park, I'm training for the Fun Run on 5th June which is 8 miles, I could get my split times down a bit I think but I as this is my first proper run I just want to do it comfortably and push on for further runs in the future.

http://tinyurl.com/6cp6b2

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with my training between now and then?

That's a link to a video about Barack Obama ;)

I did this run yesterday around Sutton Park, I'm training for the Fun Run on 5th June which is 8 miles, I could get my split times down a bit I think but I as this is my first proper run I just want to do it comfortably and push on for further runs in the future.

http://tinyurl.com/6cp6b2

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with my training between now and then?

That's a link to a video about Barack Obama ;)

What the hell?! :)

Let's try this...

http://tinyurl.com/6cp6b28

I have my first running for 20mins without walking at all tomorrow in my couch to 5km training, not sure I am going to be able to complete it, the last session was running for 8 minutes seems like a big jump from 2 x8 minutes to a full 20mins!!

I have my first running for 20mins without walking at all tomorrow in my couch

You're going running "in your couch"?

Sofa so good? :winkold:

I suggest

www.parkrun.org.uk

my running group help organise one here, its great for those who want to get back into running.

Agreed, the Parkruns are good. Timed, measured, marshalled 5K races. Every week. Free.

Website here.

PLayed football last night. last bit of exercise before my run. Got through it fine (it was very knackering, a 40 minute 5 aside game and no subs turned up so had to play the whole thing)

But this morning the bottom of my heel on my right foot is hurting. Don't remember doing anything to it but it's quite painful to wlak on. Sod's law, I get an injury just before my run!

Hopefully it'll be ok by Sunday.

I have my first running for 20mins without walking at all tomorrow in my couch to 5km training, not sure I am going to be able to complete it, the last session was running for 8 minutes seems like a big jump from 2 x8 minutes to a full 20mins!!

Yeah, I remember that jump, I couldn't do it so don't panic if you don't make it - it didn't set me back much in the end.

So I did my first 20mins run yesterday, did I make it full 20minutes?! No!!

I did around 13 mins before needing to walk for a minute or so (The wind in Sutton Park was really strong and I had to stop to catch breathe properly) Then I did do the final 6 minutes or so and just so I wasn't loosing any time I did an extra minute and a half over the 20minutes to make it up! All in all I am quite happy with it! Exactly 4 weeks today till the run, fingers crossed training keeps up!

So I did my first 20mins run yesterday, did I make it full 20minutes?! No!!

I did around 13 mins before needing to walk for a minute or so (The wind in Sutton Park was really strong and I had to stop to catch breathe properly) Then I did do the final 6 minutes or so and just so I wasn't loosing any time I did an extra minute and a half over the 20minutes to make it up! All in all I am quite happy with it! Exactly 4 weeks today till the run, fingers crossed training keeps up!

What happens if you slow down slightly?

As a long-time runner I tend to assume that once you've got to a point where you can run for 13 minutes you can just go on and run for hours - provided you've found a comfortable pace.

Not that there's anything wrong with doing the sort of effort that requires a recovery, it's just a different type of training.

As for me, I can't run at all and I am mightily pissed off about. it First I got a foot injury that could be either extensor tendonitis or a stress fracture of the metatarsal, which means I haven't run for a month. And now, out of the blue, I've had a recurrence of the sciatica I had last year - excruciating back and leg pain.

**** this.

My trainings suffered a major setback since running on Wednesday, I've barely been able to put any weight on my left foot, it seems to be easing but slowly. :(

It's amazing what you can do on race day!

It was my 10k run in manchester today.

After my quick 4 mile run last week I knew I could attack this one at the start and either romp home, or give myself enough of a buffer to do a slower second half and still get a good time. 55minutes was my primary target, and 50 minutes at a stretch. My 4 mile run last week was just over 50 minute pace but I wasn't confident I could keep that up, especially as I'd picked up a bit of a foot injury. So I'd convinced myself that sub 55 minutes and I'd be happy.

THe manchester run is much more crowded than the ones I've done before, so I found it very difficult to get any sort of rhythm going at the start. Plus, I'd dropped back into a slower wave of runners so that I could start alongside my mate who wanted to try and keep up, (which lasted about half a kilometre!), so I was starting off a lot quicker than a lot of the runners around me! It was stopping and starting with a few quick bursts when you got some clear road in front of you. Nevertheless, I got to the 1k mark at exactly 5 minutes.

Then the road started to open up. I kept the pace going and felt good. IN fact I'd unknowingly upped my pace, and reached 3k in 14:30, so I was 30 seconds ahead of 50 minute pace. This worried me slightly and I thought about easing off, but I felt comfortable, and it's brilliant how the crowd can lift you so much, even when you don't know any of them, so I kept going at what felt comfortable, even if in the back of my mind I thought I might be going a bit too quick.

So I ploughed on and reached 5k in just over 24:30, so still with that 30 second buffer in hand. This was then the quietest part of the track so it seemed tougher as there wasn't much to look at and no crowd to pick you up. But I still managed to gain more pace, probably due to a slight downhill section, and by 7k I had a 45 second buffer on the 50 minute pace.

I knew at that point that it would take a pretty shoddy last 3k to rob me of my 50 minute target, a target which I thought wasn't doable, so I was pretty chuffed by this point.

7-9k was the toughest. It did cross my mind that I could use my 45 second buffer to take a walk, or a very slow jog to recover, but I convinced myself to run on.

Then in contrast, the last kilometre felt like it was about 200m. I ran it so quick, I wish I could see a split of that last k!

Anyway, I romped home in 48 minutes 42 seconds. That's about 7 minutes quicker than my PB! and 10 minutes faster than I ran the 10k in Edinburgh last year.

Brilliant day and a brilliant result!! Couldn't be happier.

I'm generally in good shape, but have a bit of flab over my abs so i was wanting to get rid of that and to be able to see my abs for my holiday in 2months. Do you think this would be sufficient? A fast walk for 40 minutes on the treadmil, 5 days a week? Thats what i was planning on doing. Also is it better to say jog for 20 minutes or fast walk for 40 minutes to lose fat?

But this morning the bottom of my heel on my right foot is hurting.

I assume that this cleared up before your run ?

Any idea what causes this, as I've been suffering with this type of injury for around a month now - Haven't run for a week in order to try and cure it, so will be putting it to the test tomorrow on a 5 miler

I really want to start running but I can't get past my front door, give pathetic excuses every time.

Try setting a day and time when you're going to go. Thursday at 7pm, whatever. If you don't go then your a quitter and just forget it.

I knew at that point that it would take a pretty shoddy last 3k to rob me of my 50 minute target, a target which I thought wasn't doable, so I was pretty chuffed by this point.

7-9k was the toughest. It did cross my mind that I could use my 45 second buffer to take a walk, or a very slow jog to recover, but I convinced myself to run on.

Then in contrast, the last kilometre felt like it was about 200m. I ran it so quick, I wish I could see a split of that last k!

Anyway, I romped home in 48 minutes 42 seconds. That's about 7 minutes quicker than my PB! and 10 minutes faster than I ran the 10k in Edinburgh last year.

:hooray:

Excellent work, that's the way to smash a PB into tiny fragments. Sub-45 minutes beckons.

That not listening to the demons in your head telling you to slow down when you're ahead is key. Last time that happened to me I got into a mini-race with Nell McAndrew, which certainly did the trick!

But this morning the bottom of my heel on my right foot is hurting.

I assume that this cleared up before your run ?

Any idea what causes this, as I've been suffering with this type of injury for around a month now - Haven't run for a week in order to try and cure it, so will be putting it to the test tomorrow on a 5 miler

It's more the bottom of the heel and outside of the foot. I got it really bad after I did my run last year, but it didn't come back this year until just before the run.

I took a couple of painkillers and didn't really notice it during the run, and after it was fine, which makes me think that exercising it helps. It's really hurting today though, but hopefully it'll be ok after a rest.

Siomeone suggested last time that it was a touch of tendonitis, I never looked into it though as it cleared up after a week or so. But it was so bad at one point I was considering if I had picked up a stress fracture. i could barely walk.

Touch wood this time it's not so bad.

Â