Running

trimandson

@Paddywhack Massive well done mate. Doing a marathon is a great achievement even if it wasn't the time you hoped for. You know you can go quicker if you put more into the training so gives you a benchmark to beat now.

I didn't do it by the way. I decided 4 days notice wasn't enough and although in half decent condition not in good enough shape to give it a real go. Having done one previous if I did another I always said I'd want to be in shape to give myself a chance to beat my previous time and I wouldn't have been. You'll feel the same now mate if you ever do another one.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@Paddywhack Massive well done mate. Doing a marathon is a great achievement even if it wasn't the time you hoped for. You know you can go quicker if you put more into the training so gives you a benchmark to beat now.

I din't do it by the way. I decided 4 days notice wasn't enough and although in half decent condition not in good enough shape to give it a real go. Having done one previous if I did another I always said I'd want to be in shape to give myself a chance to beat my previous time and I wouldn't have been. You'll feel the same now mate if you ever do another one.

Cheers mate.

I think you probably made the right decision then. I’ll see you at the start line next year! :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Long, boring post coming up...

Well I ran (jogged, walked and limped) my first marathon in 5:47. I rather optimistically expected to be around the 5 hour mark, so I was a bit disappointed, but I crossed the finish line and got my medal.

I knew I hadn't done enough long distance training and I could tell my legs were starting to go as early as mile 10. From mile 15 onward I'd turned into a hobbling mess, switching between walking and jogging. It was frustrating because I felt like I had plenty of juice left to carry on running but my legs were having none of it.

So I've got mixed feelings really, I'm chuffed I've done a marathon, gutted I haven't ran a marathon. I walked at least a third of it so I feel like I've cheated somehow. Lesson learned, I definitely want to do it again next year and now I know exactly what to expect I know I'll put more training in.

I've set myself some times to beat for 2018.

23 minute 5k/parkrun

50 minute 10k

2hr half marathon

5hr marathon

Massive well done.

To give some context to your time, I trained for 6 months for my first marathon and did 5.12. My second marathon was 3.33 with walking the last 6. Your next one will be way faster and more like 4 hours than 5.

Keep at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats @Paddywhack You will definately go much faster next time.

Hope the injury clears up @andyjsg

Birmingham marathon done in just under 3:19 for my second fastest time. Was going well until about 19 miles, then fell apart. 10k splits of 44:26/43:59/44:20/53:16. Got through 30k at PB pace, but couldn't hold on. Kind of knew I wasn't in shape for a PB after the ultra, but wanted to give it a go, to see if I could sneak a PB or a GFA time. Route wasn't the best with the 2 laps and was hillier than I thought it would be. However road marathon number 5 done.

No spring marathon for me next year, going to focus on getting my HM time down, then have an ultra in May and will target an autumn marathon (not sure which one yet) for a PB attempt.

• Like 2

On 17/09/2017 at 13:56, darrenm said:

Just done Worcester City Half Marathon. Official time 1.35.09. I haven't trained for it and haven't done more than about 6 in months so started easy and kept it conservative just in case something bit me. HM PB is 1.30 so I've got a way to go to get back to that.

The Worcester 10k and HM are both fantastic events.

This is on my list of to do events, but not sure if I can do it next year....will make a note to do it for 2019 if not as I know the 10k course is flat and fast.

On 02/10/2017 at 22:04, darrenm said:

I help to organise a running event in Bromsgrove called the Bumble Bimble.

It's all around well hidden trails, fields, woods, mud, hills, it's got everything. All money goes directly to charity.

I don't get anything because it will fill up anyway because numbers are limited but I thought some of you lot being local might like to do it and get in before it's sold out.

http://www.bumblebimble.run

Bah, just went to sign up but it’s full.

Hope it goes well mate.

1 hour ago, legov said:

Hi chaps

Been thinking about getting myself a pair of dedicated running headphones, have never owned a pair before. Any ideas where to start, what to look for etc.

Depends what you're looking for, but here's what I use. I  suspect you'll see lots of bluetooth this and that recommended, but I use a pair of $8 jvc headphones plugged into an old ipod shuffle ($50) with a pair of yurbud covers ($12). I tend to have to replace the headphones every 18-24months due to wear and tear (just got a new pair after right ear cable broke), but given that I run 3k miles a year in temps ranging from -10C to 30C and sweat like a damn pig, I think that's excellent value.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed up yesterday for next years Stafford half marathon. My only concern is the reoccurring problem with my knee or foot. At the moment its fine but its getting more and more of the exception. Either way really looking forward to the half marathon.

• Like 1

I've really got the bug at the moment. I planned to ease off over the winter months, but I'm resenting being sat at work right now, itching to get out there.

I was doing sprint drills with my mate last night. It made me realise I probably haven't ran like that since I was a kid. We were out jogging for around an hour and we sprinted (sprant....is sprant a word?) roughly 100m, 10 times. 

I'm not too clued up on the benefits of sprint drills vs long distance training, but it was quite fun mixing it up anyway. I can certainly feel it this morning.

I'm doing the Autumn Shakespeare half marathon next Saturday and a 10k in Cannock the week after.That'll take my medal haul to 10 for this year, I'm chuffed with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I've really got the bug at the moment. I planned to ease off over the winter months, but I'm resenting being sat at work right now, itching to get out there.

Best running conditions at the moment for me. Dark nights but not too cold. Headphones in and its just you and the pavement - love it.

• Like 1

Running seems to be a big trend now, along with cycling. Really wish I could get back into it again. The dark nights have appealed to me and I've been thinking about it. My ego still thinks I'm a great runner and could piss a marathon without training, but like I said that's my ego from years ago. 

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Running seems to be a big trend now, along with cycling. Really wish I could get back into it again. The dark nights have appealed to me and I've been thinking about it. My ego still thinks I'm a great runner and could piss a marathon without training, but like I said that's my ego from years ago. 

You couldn't. But starting running again would do you the word of good, physically and mentally. Train sensibly - joining your local running club would be a great idea. You'd make a bunch of new mates who aren't cokeheads, too. 

Â