Running

trimandson

I find that if I do a reasonably strenuous run in the evening, I don't sleep well - my legs feel like they're still running. 

My favourite run used to be my Friday morning seven mile run to work. 

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just a quick one lads. I struggled to sleep like night. I didn't nod off until 1 which is very unlike me. Went up to bed about 10.45, but was wide awake, so I had some music on. Was this from the run I did? If so, will it be like that all the time, because I can't be having me wide awake in the week when I have work the next day. Might have to go in the mornings In the week instead. 

I'd say so. I have a similar problem if I run too late or hard in the evening. Not so much getting to sleep, but I always wake a bunch throughout the night and can feel it the next day. Running is one of the best ways to learn about yourself!!

I am a morning person. My legs always feel too heavy in the evening. I can do a game of tennis quite happily in the evening, but running, nope - rarely feels good, and if do exercise late, I factor that in and leave it a lot longer before settling down to sleep.

Managed to pleasantly surprise myself this month - managed to get 5 runs done this month including two this weekend as I get back into it, this time without the end goal of any particular race to practice for. Taking it steady as I've felt my muscles twinge after 20-25 minutes so not doing more than 3 -3.5miles for now. Doing a 10k race in March so will ease my way up to that over the next month.

There's a bastard hill nearby which I had a go at this morning - it's only a mile up, first half is fairly gradual climb, but last half just goes really really steep but only got about halfway up the steep half this time before quitting, though another jogger passing by offered to go up with me but still carrying a bit too much timber / not enough miles in the legs yet

• Like 1

I feel sorry for runners who live in really flat areas, so don't get much hill work in - must be murder if they go and do a hilly race elswhere. Can't avoid hills where I live, which suits me fine. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Looks like I'm goosed for this f'kin race ... everytime I get a bit of distance in the legs .....I'm taking up yoga or some shite :wacko:

What's the race distance and what are you hoping.to do?

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Went for a run last night. Kept it short, and easy. My legs didn't ache as much, and my breathing weren't as bad. Got myself into a good stride, and its mad that on only my third run, I can feel the difference. 

Good stuff. Now mix it up. Do long and easy runs once a week, short and fast once and somewhere in between the rest.

• Thanks 1

For the first time in 15 years, I've changed shoe brand and model. Went from Asics - Kayano to HOKA ONE ONE - Clifton 4.

The cushioning on these is brilliant. For those of you running on hard surfaces I can highly recommend them. They look a bit daft but who cares. Less expensive than the Kayano as well.

• Like 1

so close on 2 years after my stem cell op on my knees  I ran on a treadmill yesterday :) 

only did a slow 1 km but heck I'll take that  , I'm allowed to slowly build it up but treadmill only   , still hopeful I'll be back to full road running around July time  ( and football :hooray:)

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:02, Rugeley Villa said:

7.51km , 34.38 .

im ***** :o

Not bad at all, I've been running regularly for 4 years and that's quicker than me.

Imagine where you could be in a years time.

If you are looking for legal buzz there isn't much better than the glow after finishing a long distance run.

I don't know if it's a complete lack of mental strength or if I just have shit muscles, but I really struggle to get passed 3-4k. Sometimes I manage 5 but can't really do much beyond that without hurting in some way shape or form. 

Have a feeling it's likely mental though.

On 1/30/2018 at 00:06, darrenm said:

What's the race distance and what are you hoping.to do?

50k next Saturday ....IB and calfs we're like rocks leading to some mad knee pain ...just back from a sadistic physio session so fingers crossed ... seriously considering taking up a bit of yoga as I'm totally shite at stretching 

Edited by Meath_Villan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't know if it's a complete lack of mental strength or if I just have shit muscles, but I really struggle to get passed 3-4k. Sometimes I manage 5 but can't really do much beyond that without hurting in some way shape or form. 

Have a feeling it's likely mental though.

It is partly mental.

My regular run distance is between 5k and 10k. I do tend to "hit the wall" as it were at around 5-6k but you come out the other side and push on when running longer distances. Its almost like your body accepts what you are doing and then you get the second wind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meath_Villan said:

50k next Saturday ....IB and calfs we're like rocks leading to some mad knee pain ...just back from a sadistic physio session so fingers crossed ... seriously considering taking up a bit of yoga as I'm totally shite at stretching 

Try rolling instead or better with stretching. I always have a quick roll of calves etc., before bed. Really helps find the tight spots. A big old foam roller is good but a tennis ball does the job too and is crucial for glute/hip/foot stuff.

• Like 2

Â