Match Thread: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But but, apparently the referees fitness tests are too hard for the women  I once heard an ex ref say 🤦‍♀️

You really do hear some insane stuff 

Worryingly, we don't tend to start the second half very well so got to pray Emery can work some magic to get our arsed in gear from the kick off.

So bloody annoying that we haven't made more of our chances

Playing really well.  Certainly don't deserve to be behind.  Really unfortunate own goal and then a player standing 4 yards offside in the middle of the box who scores 2 seconds later but is deemed not to be interferring with play.  Even then Emi got a hand to the cross.  Not sure how Mc Allister wasn't at least booked.  Ref too busy giving McGinn grief rather than asking for VAR to double check for serious foul play.  Hopefully we can grab a goal an equaliser and set-up a massive finish to the match.

• Like 2

McGinn doing OK. Some good passes but lumps getting kicked out of him.

Tielemans doing very well on his return.

Ollie and Bailey causing problems.

Defence all look like Sunday league players and Diaby! I'm running out of patience with him. And I've given him the benefit so much this season. Looks scared of the ball and everything he tries he **** up. I don't even think he'll improve next season. Doesn't have any positive attributes these last few months.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SimonVilla said:

Moussa redemption arc is going to be *chef’s kiss*

More chance of me captaining Noah's arc round the red sea at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Btw Youri might actually be our best player

Yep. Really important for us in so many ways. I think we’d be in the ECL final if he was fit. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

After a horror start Villa have played well and really should be going in 3-2 up. Two absolute sitters missed. You can't expect to beat teams like Liverpool missing those chances.

Both Tielemans and McGinn have been excellent. Best midfielders on show.

However, Diaby has been truly awful again. Villa are playing with 10 at the moment. Would like to see Diaby subbed for Zanilo.

Edited by striker

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The players will have other ideas 🙄

Quite possibly 🙄 

I think he’ll make changes at half time, maybe pop Zaniolo and Duran on… it doesn’t matter if we lose, but if we win then we’ve made it… maybe just try and outscore them 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I still can't believe that keeper error and that miss happened to the same team in the same half of football. 

Two unbelievable errors. Especially from some such top level, experienced pros.

Just now, UpTheVilla26 said:

More chance of me captaining Noah's arc round the red sea at the moment. 

To be fair, at the back end of the season there was more chance of me farting myself to the moon than Bailey having a redemption arc.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

For all our endeavour, we've had 1 shot on target.

A prime example of why shots on target is a shit stat

• Like 2

Well, Tielemanns makes a difference. Luiz and McGinn have been poor, Diaby , not happening for him at the moment, but hes not hiding.

I actually think Pau and Costa are our best combo at the back.

Even if we get nothing tonight, this performance will get us a result at Palace

Typical of recent weeks.   Some nice counterattacks that don’t pan out because of either bad decisions or a missing final ball.

We can still win this but need to score the next one.

We look ropey at the back but we’ve created two clear cut chances and got into their box on numerous occasions. I’m confident we will score again, but not confident we won’t concede. 

Tielemans is making a huge difference, apart from his final product, Diaby has looked a bit sharper.