Match Thread: Olympiacos v Villa

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So far in this tie:

• Aston Villa 28 attempts on goal - 2 goals
  • Olympiacos 11 attemps on goal - 5 goals.

They've just been ridiculously efficient.

We were really good in that half, completely dominated it, completely controlled it and still came out losing it 1-0.

I'm not sure what else we can do.

move the ball forward quicker and get cash off so diaby can play there with Duran going in the middle.

• Like 1

Frustrating game. Really not got the breaks in either leg. Been taken on the counter much too easy of course, but things just not falling, like that Bailey shot at the end

Tielemans would've made so much difference in the middle tonight. Or Buendia.

Would go Duran at ht and maybe a wild card Kellyman shortly after. Not sure if Bailey will be out 2nd, they targeted him to injure

• Like 1

Hutton saying we need to move the ball quicker, which is another thing we have been shit at the last few games. It's actually been a bit better in this match, but we seem to slow everything down in the crucial final moments. 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think all the blame for that is on the right side of our defence, Konsa doesn't do enough to either stop the first man or track the second and Cash doesn't go with the runner - it's bit of a mess of communication. There's nothing Torres can do by the time the cut back comes past him. 

That's not the thing though, we've been so dominant - the better side for 95% of this tie - but we just don't win the key moments.

Digne takes his share of the blame for literally standing still on the edge of the box watching the unmarked player wait for the ball

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

All bark no bite. Seriously worried about the next two league games

I've pretty much written off the last two league games, it''d be nice if we got something out of one of them, but I'm still hopeful our league season is over before we play again - if Burnley get a draw we can play the kids and if not, I think you'd have to expect City to do the business in the week. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

At what point do we give up and save the lads for Monday? Legit question, because Bailey is running on one leg and it's going to be pointless rolling them all out for 90 if we don't score at least 1. 

Well we have to score 3 goals in 45 mins just to force extra time.

The lads look like they could do with an extra 30 minute runout.

We tried.... time to cut our losses imo.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

She’s the girlfriend of a guy named Jack, who is suckin’ on a chili dog outside the Tasty Freeze. 

Ha, I’ve got that record 😛

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So far in this tie:

• Aston Villa 28 attempts on goal - 2 goals
  • Olympiacos 11 attemps on goal - 5 goals.

They've just been ridiculously efficient.

We were really good in that half, completely dominated it, completely controlled it and still came out losing it 1-0.

I'm not sure what else we can do.

That's football sometimes. Sometimes you playbwell and lose 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I agree with you up until not much choice, he could have bodied the opposition rather than the obvious shirt tug yellow, he could have fouled without it being an obvious yellow

Maybe he could've bodied him but would probably have picked up a yellow for that too. It was a soft card for the ref to hand out imo. Either way it makes no difference to our predicament.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Didn't go through Torres's legs? He pulls forward for the cross, leaves his man, and he ends up in no man's land with the ball played behind him 

Yeah. Same thing with the Olsen deflection last game. All his momentum is going one way while the ball goes the other.

Duran for Cash. Put Duran as the RM defensively and then on the attack have him under lap and try to drag winger, CB with him to give Bailey/Diaby some space. 

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Not sure what is going on with moussa, he's been their best defender

At one point he almost ran into Cash as he’s stood there out of position. He’s just trying to do too much. We are over complicating it. 

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

To be fair they haven’t really needed to do much.

You can only do what you can do, and Villa did OK that half without that little bit of cutting edge required. They haven't needed to do much since we lost the first leg so heavily.

Look like we're running out of ideas. We need to get some form because we look shell shocked last 2 games and it's not looking good for the run in for Premier League either.

I wouldn't make any changes at half time in terms of personnel - I know it sounds odd, but we've actually played very well, it's a good performance we just need to find a way to finish.

• Like 1