Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

260 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/04/24 at 22:59

I thought we played very well from the kick off. We looked leggy at times but it’s expected. Rogers  is finding form very nicely and his fresher legs are a big asset to the team at the moment. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I thought we played very well from the kick off. We looked leggy at times but it’s expected. Rogers  is finding form very nicely and his fresher legs are a big asset to the team at the moment. 

I'd say Rogers is becoming a revelation but he isn't, Emery wouldn't have got him if he didn't think he was up to it.

He has been brilliant his last few appearances, has to be fouled to be stopped. Gets me up when he runs with the ball

Can we add a rating for the game thread itself? Feel like the reactions when we went down were par for the course, nothing too extreme (beyond the odd one you'd sort out), and the banter when we took the lead was nice.

I give us a 6.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Great performance that, I'm going Tielemans MOTM, don't think he put a foot wrong.

Very close behind was Rogers and Konsa.

As for Ollie, i have no idea how he didn't score. I'd put his name down before Kane.

I also voted Tielemans with Ezri, Morgan and Ollie very closely behind.

You just know Boregate will pick Rashford over Ollie.

Ollie is a machine, absolute athlete that has improved under Unai. Speaks volumes when Shearer eulogises about him. 

• Like 1

Great end to an incredible week, deserved th three points with Watkins leading the line superbly. McGinn ran him close for man of the match for me with his high energy, tackling and distribution.

• Like 1

Someone who is more of a student of tactics: did Bournemouth stop playing the way they did in the first half hour after we leveled, or did we change up something to nullify it? Coming out of the half I was stunned they didn't revert to those tactics and now I'm wondering if we made a halftime adjustment to nullify it. Would be two league games in a row we made the rights moves. If so, Don Unai is in his own rich vein of form.

All things considered, that's one of our best performances of the season. Other than the 10 seconds before the Bournemouth penalty, that was pretty much immaculate. To a man, excellent. 

• Like 1

Just back from the game, happy as punch.

From the moment I saw how Bournemouth were set up to play against us, I knew we would score goals today. They pushed the forwards and midfield up against our deep lying defence when we had the ball, but they didn't put any significant high energy pressure on us.

This left a big gap between their midfield and back 4. The Bournemouth back 4 was in a very strange place. They managed to leave a space Infront of them for our advanced midfielders to stand in, AND they left space in behind them for Watkins to run into, which he did with great effect. 

If I could pick how a team would set up to play against us it would look a lot like Bournemouth today. They even left significant passing lanes open for our defence to get the ball into midfield. Even at a goal down I wasn't worried, knowing we would inevitably find a way to goal.  It was really enjoyable watching how ruthlessly we exploited their setup though.

• Like 1

After a slow start dominated the game and fully deserved the win. Rogers was class and Watkins did everything but score. We looked more open day and conceded more shots than I would like but that is down without Luiz playing. Sun was out,, 3 class goals, 6 points clear in 4th and a European semi final to look forward. What  a time to be a Villa fan.

• Like 2

In a really fun game to watch, with some superb goals, my favourite moments had to be watching Rogers recieving the ball in midfield, turning his man effortlessly and surging up the pitch. Then watching him do it again and again and again. 

• Like 1

Rogers MOTM what a player. Shows me not to write off new signings after 2 appearances. Ollie excellent today and deserved a goal. Huge effort and what a way to cap the week off. 

• Like 1

Â