The WOKE thread

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Well intentioned, but really poor, I'd say. So full of holes, contradictions, inconsistencies and loopholes. Well meaning but amateurish.

Can you see it as somewhat of a tipping point for being too "controlling"? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well intentioned, but really poor, I'd say. So full of holes, contradictions, inconsistencies and loopholes. Well meaning but amateurish.

it gives amateurs a bad name

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Possibly, yeah. I guess that would depend on your (anyone's) view on freedom of speech v freedom from abuse and offence.

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

Possibly, yeah. I guess that would depend on your (anyone's) view on freedom of speech v freedom from abuse and offence.

Literally, all I need to be able to do is say "would you like to bum?" like Leigh Francis did, whilst dressed as Elton John on Bo Selecta - that's it, I swear. 

I know it's not nice, but it really makes me laugh, even when do it. :( 

On 05/04/2024 at 10:11, blandy said:

To be fair - that's typical of most new laws.  

The law will now be used to develop and edit to numerous "Codes of Practice" whilst case law evolves,  precedents are set and rulings are made.  

59 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

To be fair - that's typical of most new laws.  

The law will now be used to develop and edit to numerous "Codes of Practice" whilst case law evolves,  precedents are set and rulings are made.  

Let's hope the judges aren't a bunch of woke snowflake liberate. 

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Does anyone else have it where you have an alarm set but somehow get up like 5 mins before it's due to go off.

Like your brain is counting down to it in your sleep. 

I've mentioned this before, but that was me in my 30s. So I suspected I didn't actually need an alarm, and made the leap of faith to switch it off. Never used one again throughout my working life. Always woke up at whatever time required. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I've mentioned this before, but that was me in my 30s. So I suspected I didn't actually need an alarm, and made the leap of faith to switch it off. Never used one again throughout my working life. Always woke up at whatever time required. 

Wow. Yes I don't quite trust myself to go without it yet. Will experiment over a weekend where I might need to be somewhere but not potentially making me late for work. 

16 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Woke builders with their talking to colleagues and their breakfast not covered in saturated fat while learning history.

The word is completely losing meaning. What part of that is woke? :D 

Not being a fat word removed = woke

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Does anyone else have it where you have an alarm set but somehow get up like 5 mins before it's due to go off.

Like your brain is counting down to it in your sleep. 

Yes, very much.  Increasingly I've found myself unable to have a lie-in anymore also, once my body hits that 8 hours then up it gets.  I hate it.  I miss lie-ins.

The other side of that bastard coin seems to be sleep paralysis always decides to kick in just at the very moment I feel a leg cramp, so I'm lying there motionless with my brain screaming at the rest of me to **** move as the searing pain gets worse and worse.

Getting old(er) is fun! 😬

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 2

On 03/04/2024 at 11:22, mjmooney said:

Or the hilarious idea that 'Black Lives Matter' is a 'Marxist organisation'. 

A quote from the opening page of the Manifesto of the Communist Party:

"The modern bourgeois society that has sprouted from the ruins of feudal society has not done
away with class antagonisms. It has but established new classes, new conditions of oppression,
new forms of struggle in place of the old ones."

Would a supporter of 'Black Lives Matter' disagree with the sentiments expressed above?

I don't believe they would, they might want to substitute race and gender for class, but their view of the power relations in modern societies wouldn't be very different.

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The word is completely losing meaning. What part of that is woke? :D 

Not being a fat word removed = woke

it's not. but that word is a trigger for a certain demographic and gets them frothing at the mouth. so they comment, retweet etc with their ramblings about how they hate all this woke rubbish. they don't even read the article within the headline but just the sight of the word gets them riled up

the media companies chuck the word 'woke' into headlines sporadically to create engagements to their articles. it's very deliberate. and the anti-woke fall for it every time

17 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

"The modern bourgeois society that has sprouted from the ruins of feudal society has not done
away with class antagonisms. It has but established new classes, new conditions of oppression,

Would a supporter of 'Black Lives Matter' disagree with the sentiments expressed above?

I don't believe they would, they might want to substitute race and gender for class, but their view of the power relations in modern societies wouldn't be very different.

So if you don’t disagree with everything the CP has to say you’re a Marxist?   In that case, there are a shit ton of closet Marxists in this world, including the thousands of wealthy residents of that bastion of Marxism, Silicon Valley, who showed up at a Black Lives Matter march shortly after George Floyd’s death.

45 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

But it's not an organisation. It's a slogan. 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2024 at 10:13, lapal_fan said:

Honestly, and I get that flippancy might be more fun, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

The powers that be have been attempting to clamp down on our collective freedom of expression by writing into Law things around 'offensive' or 'insulting' speech and actions for the best part of my 40 something years now. If not much longer. Isn't this just more of the same?

It seems to me the same nonsensical playbook as served us up such wondeful ideas as Section 5 of the Public Order Act or the new Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act.

What is always fascinating to me is that many of the people I meet with 'a team' or who feel allied to one group identity agree/disagree with this Orwellian approach when it suits them. i.e. the people up in arms about this clamping down on free expression in this poorly written legislation in Scotland are not all seemingly as concerned with the clamping down on free expression in the poorly written legislation around speech and assembly in England and Wales, or whether prosecutions would be justified for calling police horses gay and so on. Fascinating, but in a sadly not at all surprising way. While these examples are still things that divide us, isntead of concepts we rally around, I can't see much appetite for anything different.

Mind you I'm an emotion discussing builder who once eat an avocado for brekkie so I should perhaps consider getting back in my box. :ph34r:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Woke builders with their talking to colleagues and their breakfast not covered in saturated fat while learning history.

I'm sure I haven't perfected this one to land right but if we can look past the real men bit and understand my intended use of speech marks there's a rather funny inadvertant " 'Real men that do real work' ARE woke shocker" headline from the heil :D  :D

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

But it's not an organisation. It's a slogan. 

It's both, really. As per blacklivesmatter.com:

#BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes

That said, Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. doesn't exactly scream Marxist-Leninism at you

Â