The WOKE thread

StefanAVFC

According to Encyclopaedia Britannica, the word woke has been "repurposed as a pejorative synonym for liberal or left-leaning".

There seems to be a difference between Woke and Critical Race Theory.

So choosing margarine on ecological grounds and not butter, to put on your scone, probably counts as woke and the claim that white people oppress all other races, and that "equity" is the solution, would probably come under the heading of CRT.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2024 at 16:21, bickster said:

No, you're wrong, it is that simple

On 14/04/2024 at 07:54, bobzy said:

:D 

I was going to post something but how does one compete with debating skills like this?    

7 hours ago, El Segundo said:

I was going to post something but how does one compete with debating skills like this?    

Make sure you're right? 

I see dreary Mark Lawrenson thinks he’s been sacked because of the BBC woke agenda, what with him being a white male.

Nothing to do with him being an awful depressing pundit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Segundo said:

Yes because picking the end of a debate where it’s impossible to get any kind of logical common ground and where the one side is clearly wrong is the best point to highlight. The argument which was put forward that it was the “woke” agenda that created groups of people in society is clearly and obviously wrong, it’s not really worthy of debate. The argument iirc was I don’t do this so it’s the woke brigade that caused the groups. As the meme goes… prove me wrong.

45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I see dreary Mark Lawrenson thinks he’s been sacked because of the BBC woke agenda, what with him being a white male.

Doesn't explain Danny Murphy though...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Doesn't explain Danny Murphy though...

Bald. Only there to keep up the folically challenges quota. More wokeness on display. 

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Had every single white pundit been " fired"  maybe he'd have a case , but clearly they just got rid of the shit ones.

In 2022 , 43 % of players in the premier league were black , even allowing for language issues , I'd kinda expect Ex-player pundits to be representative of that rather figure rather than the population of the UK when selecting a panel of experts.

Football has evolved , its only natural that pundits evolve too  .. Ashley Williams who appears from time to time seems a natural in the role and  more engaging than someone like Lawrence  , I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but Micah Richards always makes me chuckle ,even if his football brain isn't as good as someone like Ian Wrights , but its also an entertainment business , and Richards certainly does that 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Probably also something to do with him not playing football for 35 year's and him not really being relevant to most people watching today. I'm in my 40s but only know him as a (not very good) pundit.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Probably also something to do with him not playing football for 35 year's and him not really being relevant to most people watching today. I'm in my 40s but only know him as a (not very good) pundit.

it's a bit of both, I think - The BBC had 2 tasks really - to refresh their line up of talking people, to keep up with the modern game and also to adjust the balance of their team to (in BBC parlance) better represent the demographics of the audience and nation. So that meant hoofing a fairly average old white male pundit(s) and bringing in some younger, different race, different gender (sex?) pundits. If you're Mark Lawrenson and lack a tad in self awareness, then you might feel miffed, but really, no. He had a good run  and was long past his best in the job.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

it's a bit of both, I think - The BBC had 2 tasks really - to refresh their line up of talking people, to keep up with the modern game and also to adjust the balance of their team to (in BBC parlance) better represent the demographics of the audience and nation. So that meant hoofing a fairly average old white male pundit(s) and bringing in some younger, different race, different gender (sex?) pundits. If you're Mark Lawrenson and lack a tad in self awareness, then you might feel miffed, but really, no. He had a good run  and was long past his best in the job.

If he didnt come across as hating everything about football he may have been retained. 

• Like 2

Â