New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

Apologies if I've missed something, but, my understanding is Aston Villa (or V sports) do not own Villa Park. We sold it to another company (owned by Nas & Wes) which got us out of FFP issues with the Premier League when we were promoted from the championship.

Now what is to stop that company building a brand new stadium and leasing it back to Aston Villa for £1 per year? This would result in zero impact on FFP, PSR or whatever they come up with next year to stop NSWE putting their own money into the club? And we get a brand new, state of the art stadium that produces lots of revenue.

I understand the position of many that they never want to leave VP*. I'm interested in why we can't just fund a stadium by another company and not have it impact PSR.

*(One point to remember is we haven't always played there.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Apologies if I've missed something, but, my understanding is Aston Villa (or V sports) do not own Villa Park. We sold it to another company (owned by Nas & Wes) which got us out of FFP issues with the Premier League when we were promoted from the championship.

Now what is to stop that company building a brand new stadium and leasing it back to Aston Villa for £1 per year? This would result in zero impact on FFP, PSR or whatever they come up with next year to stop NSWE putting their own money into the club? And we get a brand new, state of the art stadium that produces lots of revenue.

I understand the position of many that they never want to leave VP*. I'm interested in why we can't just fund a stadium by another company and not have it impact PSR.

The rent would probably have to be "fair market value", i.e. more than what we pay to lease VP, but apart from that there is nothing stop us/them.

I think the more that we see other clubs moving to shiny new stadiums, the easier it has become for us Villans to accept it may be inevitable for us also.  Lerner was all about preserving and improving Villa Park as he was a bit of history buff, but NSWE have remained relatively quiet on the issue.  In recent times we've seen Arsenal, Spuds, Citeh and Everton make the move, with Southampton, Leicester, Sunderland, Brighton and even little Walsall making moves before that.  I honestly think that if ManUre take the leap, then that will trickle down and see all of the big(ger) clubs following suit.

Personally, Villa Park for me is sacred ground, but if a new stadium is the way forward then I'd reluctantly go along with something new if it means us staying on an even keel....

• Like 1

I've always been totally against leaving Villa Park, there had been no need, we had a fantastic old stadium, with good capacity and there has always been clear ways to update it to bring it in line with modern requirements.

But the truth is, the transport is a huge problem and it's largely out of the club's control. The stadium can be as great as can be, there can continue being under-utilised space that makes it a better candidate than many existing Stadiums in the league to be modernised within its existing footprint (or have the footprint expanded with the land we own or can acquire)... But if it's impossible to get people in and out, then it's all a waste and we'll have to move.

It'll be a sad day to leave, because I love Villa Park and there's a lot of reasons why we should never be forced out of it by any owner. But if it's such a slog to get there and back home again, making it unpalatable to increase capacity further what would we be fighting to keep really? 

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Building costs do not count towards FFP anyway.

3 train stations Aston, Witton and Perry Barr are all on the same line.  Does not help with crowded trains.

They need to extent the metro really to help with the numbers if we stay at Villa Park.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

The rent would probably have to be "fair market value", i.e. more than what we pay to lease VP, but apart from that there is nothing stop us/them.

On companies house NSWE Stadium Ltd show a consistent annual turnover of £2.6m. It’s fair to assume that is the rent ‘we’ pay to play at Villa park. That probably is about market rate, so a new shiny stadium would probably cost us £4-5m a season, which would start to become a noticeable percentage of our turnover

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

3 train stations Aston, Witton and Perry Barr are all on the same line.  Does not help with crowded trains.

They need to extent the metro really to help with the numbers if we stay at Villa Park.

Aston is actually on 2 different lines. The Walsall line and the Lichfield line. But as I say, it's still a much better served ground than almost any I can think of. Especially Spurs' new super duper billion pound ground which is an absolute hell to get to and from.

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

You are not going to get a better transport hub than 3 train stations within a mile, countless buses, a 30 minute walk to the city centre and the bloody spaghetti junction, linking major motorways, just a stones throw away.

There will ALWAYS be issues getting away from a stadium with 10's of thousands of people in it.

Have you tried getting away from Spurs? Its a f******* nightmare.

Villa Park is in the perfect postion compared to almost every ground I can think of. (Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal aside maybe)

In general this is true but getting to and from the Emirates is a cinch when you consider the capacity. Think that's the exception though in my experience 

One thing that works well abroad but is not well utilised in England is the police leading the traffic out of stadiums and supporting the smooth flow of cars. That would speed everything up massively. 

But again, I have never had too many issues myself. It's relatively easy. I never waited more than 20 mins in a car, I once spent 90 mins getting out of Etihad. 

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I've often wondered whether Victorian Talk was full of the same arguments about renovating Wellington Road vs moving a mile down the road (although I guess they didn't have the motorway/car parking issue to worry about).

Bear in mind, Villa were the most successful and most famous club in the 1890s so I guess a top stadium was necessary and moving was the only real option.

• Haha 3

A centrally based stadium close to HS2 station would be the best hypothetical option with parking at the NEC for the majority of fans - Birmingham’s  love of an industrial estate and distribution hubs means huge swathes of land aren’t viable sadly. Hindsight is wonderful but that land close to the city centre could’ve been better utilised over the years. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

In theory, there are good travel connections, but in practice it doesn't work.

Having three train stations close by is great, but they aren't big enough to support the demand, there are not nearly enough trains servicing them on matchdays and those that are running don't have enough carriages, hence long waits at any of those stations for people trying to get away from the ground.

Motorway connections are also great if you can get to them in a reasonable time, but there are several bottlenecks around the ground and between the ground and the motorway connections, no real parking means cars parked everywhere they shouldn't be, which only makes the bottlenecks worse.

Buses, taxis, Ubers, are great but they can't get anywhere near the ground and even if they can it takes forever to get in and out.

There are reasons people leave early, for anyone out in the shires you can spend as long getting home from the game as you do watching it.

I've mentioned before my father is disabled and I find it very difficult to get him to a game without arriving several hours early and hanging around for hours afterwards to let the traffic clear, it takes up the entire day to watch 90 minutes of football.

I'm torn on any possibility of a new stadium, but I'm not about to pretend we are on the perfect site when it just isn't the case, the site has multiple issues, the area has multiple issues. I'm under no illusions that these issues are difficult to solve, and other sites may have the same or different issues.

Simply, if the Villa Park site was perfect, this thread wouldn't exist.

Again, Spurs have just built a billion pound stadium and ALL those problems still exist for them and more.

14 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Again, Spurs have just built a billion pound stadium and ALL those problems still exist for them and more.

I mean, well done to them...

I didn't say a new stadium would fix these problems, or that another site might be better, or indeed that I want a new stadium. In fact, it seems like you didn't read my post at all. I'm simply stating the site we are on isn't perfect. Burying your head in the sand and dismissing this isn't going to help to move along the conversation.

Having good transport links is pointless if they can't be used correctly. Increasing the capacity on the current site with these problems still existing is only going to make matters worse. It heavily limits what we can do with the site we are on.

What we need are solutions to these problems, not people saying 'Well there are good transport links so everything is fine'. It is not that black and white, things rarely are.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I mean, well done to them...

I didn't say a new stadium would fix these problems, or that another site might be better, or indeed that I want a new stadium. In fact, it seems like you didn't read my post at all. I'm simply stating the site we are on isn't perfect. Burying your head in the sand and dismissing this isn't going to help to move along the conversation.

Having good transport links is pointless if they can't be used correctly. Increasing the capacity on the current site with these problems still existing is only going to make matters worse. It heavily limits what we can do with the site we are on.

What we need are solutions to these problems, not people saying 'Well there are good transport links so everything is fine'. It is not that black and white, things rarely are.

I did read your post and no need for the slightly aggressive tone. My point is that you can spend as much as you want on a new stadium but there will always be problems getting people to and from it.

Wherever it is.

I don't believe this "goldilocks" location even exists (apart from right in the city centre which can never happen) never mind it being viable to build a stadium there.

I genuinely think VP is in one of the best places possible in terms of transport networks. 

As for uber, you are never getting an uber with 40,000 plus people around.

Football, festivals, gigs, whatever.

If you do, you are bloody lucky.

Edited by GlobalVillan

21 hours ago, Withnail said:

I don’t know how bringing gravy into it helps?

It makes everything better. Nothing fishy about it at all!

15 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I did read your post and no need for the slightly aggressive tone. My point is that you can spend as much as you want on a new stadium but there will always be problems getting people to and from it.

Wherever it is.

I don't believe this "goldilocks" location even exists (apart from right in the city centre which can never happen) never mind it being viable to build a stadium there.

I genuinely think VP is in one of the best places possible in terms of transport networks. 

As for uber, you are never getting an uber with 40,000 plus people around.

Football, festivals, gigs, whatever.

If you do, you are bloody lucky.

I don't believe a 'goldilocks' location exists either, but then I don't believe Villa Park has perfect transport links, again you're glossing over the difficulties between those links and the stadium and indeed every point I've been trying to make.

Have a good day, I'm going to go and shout into a void for a bit.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo