New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

London or Birmingham, London will win 99% of the time. Birmingham is an hour from London by train. Rapid cross country transport is Londoncentric.

So you are saying relocate to London? 🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

So you are saying relocate to London? 🤣

No I'm saying the idea of a multiuse stadium that can be used for masses of other events is an absolute fantasy for a top tier football club, especially one located in Birmingham

There really is only a small window of opportunity each year for a football stadium to be used for other events and there really is a lack of events that would be interested in a Birmingham location

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Also cons - the perfect site (the one that was once earmarked for a new national stadium) is gone to HS2, the sites on the city side of the site are already in plan for a huge housing development as the NEC site is owned by the worlds biggest landlord, Blackstone - so any site at the NEC wouldn't be within easy walking distance of the train station and would require new roads, new car parking and potentially a new motorway junction - we often talk about the NEC as if it's an easy site with a perfect pocket of connected land; it's not.

Fair points. To be honest, I would expect new road junctions, light rail extensions etc as part of the project, which would be huge and very expensive.
There's no cheap or perfect options here, just options that are either suitable or not. We need room, and good transport link potential, and that area from Bickenhill to Water Orton represents the best or most suitable in my opinion. It might mean "muscling in" on some existing proposals too.

• Like 1

I read that the bluenoses are buying some land in the Bordesley Green area to build a super stadium as the hub for sports and entertainment in the city..

If this is true i can see NSWE responding with something bigger!

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

No I'm saying the idea of a multiuse stadium that can be used for masses of other events is an absolute fantasy for a top tier football club, especially one located in Birmingham

There really is only a small window of opportunity each year for a football stadium to be used for other events and there really is a lack of events that would be interested in a Birmingham location

I think a lot would depend on how 'multi-use' it would be, if you had a retractable pitch and roof like the Bernabau, then that window of opportunity just grew to every time we aren't playing a game, and not just for concerts but any kind of event you could imagine.

There are plenty of events going on in Birmingham pretty much every single day of the year, having another large arena is only going to attract more. If anything it's the competition from current venues in Birmingham that would be more of a problem. I take the point that London/Manchester is ahead of Birmingham in terms of attracting the biggest events, but if Birmingham is ever going to catch up then it needs more high-quality venues to accommodate them.

For what it is worth I don't think it's going to happen, I just don't think it's completely fantastical. Real Madrid has proven it is possible with enough vision and investment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

London or Birmingham, London will win 99% of the time. Birmingham is an hour from London by train. Rapid cross country transport is Londoncentric.

This is actually a plus for Birmingham. Its close to London and the North West. Its the best location in the country for major / national events, we just don't have the right venue for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think a lot would depend on how 'multi-use' it would be, if you had a retractable pitch and roof like the Bernabau, then that window of opportunity just grew to every time we aren't playing a game, and not just for concerts but any kind of event you could imagine.

How long does it take to stage a Stadium concert? It's not just rock up on the day like it is at a traditional concert hall. How long does it take to set up one of those motor cross type events they also hold in stadiums, it's not just dump a load of dirt there. Days before the event and days after. It's not possible for a top flight football club, especially one that has an ambition to be a top European club, it really isn't compatible.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

This is actually a plus for Birmingham. Its close to London and the North West. Its the best location in the country for major / national events, we just don't have the right venue for it.

It really isn't, Birmingham is in London's catchment area. Broadstairs and Brighton for example are not in Birmingham's

Don't understand the calls to move the club out of Aston. People might not love the area but it's in the name. It's where we're from.

You might as well move us to London or north towards Manchester as to Solihull or Sutton Coldfield.

This whole debate is moot anyway. The club have made it clear there is no discussion of a new stadium at all.

We're staying, might as well try to improve VP and the surrounding area as much as we can.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

How long does it take to stage a Stadium concert? It's not just rock up on the day like it is at a traditional concert hall. How long does it take to set up one of those motor cross type events they also hold in stadiums, it's not just dump a load of dirt there. Days before the event and days after. It's not possible for a top flight football club, especially one that has an ambition to be a top European club, it really isn't compatible.

Honestly not that long, the pitch at the Bernabeu takes 6 hours to retract which can be done overnight, then you have the entire day to set up a stage, everything else is pretty much in place. Then the next day take it down and bring the pitch back out again.

Granted motor cross, American football, baseball or things that require that level of set-up would be restricted to summer months, but concerts, conventions, comedy gigs, basketball, tennis, and plenty of other events should be hostable in a reasonable time as long as the stadium is designed for multi-use.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 1

@bickster - Your take is very NW and London centric. Birmingham/West Midlands has the capacity to take on the North West & London in the longer term. Villa will be an anchoring force in that goal.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think the opposite. Its too far south to be northern and too far north to be southern.

Birmingham falls between 2 stools and Manchester is now the 2nd city and the "capital" of the north in every realisitc sense.

Hardly anyone I've met (In more than 100 countries) has even heard of Birmingham, never mind know where it is.

We never promoted ourselves well enough as a city and Manchester is known because of its football clubs of course.

Edited by GlobalVillan

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It really isn't, Birmingham is in London's catchment area. Broadstairs and Brighton for example are not in Birmingham's

And in reply I would say that London, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol, Oxford, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leicester etc are all in Birmingham's catchment area.
There's also no point in keep talking about London. We're not building a stadium there, even theoretically, and if we were to build a new stadium of course we would look at all the ways to maximise revenue including national and international events because, whether you agree or not, Birmingham is very well situated for it. Case in point: the busiest Exhibition centre in Europe is there. What isn't there is a stadium big enough to host the kind of events being discussed. London has several, Manchester has 1, arguably 2.

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think the opposite. Its too far south to be northern and too far north to be southern.

Birmingham falls between 2 stools and Manchester is now the 2nd city and the "capital" of the north in every realisitc sense.

Manchester isnt the 2nd city. It never will be either.

6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

@bickster - Your take is very NW and London centric. Birmingham/West Midlands has the capacity to take on the North West & London in the longer term. Villa will be an anchoring force in that goal.

That will never happen, the London bias will never let it happen.  It’s happened for decades, the new Wembley was a classic example that even though the public poll wanted the new stadium in the middle of the country, the powers that be decided London.

6 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Hardly anyone I've met (Im more than 100 countries) has even heard of Birmingham, never mind know where it is.

We never promoted ourselves well enough and Manchester is known because of its football clubs of course.

Manchester isn’t the second city….now or previously!

I lived in Australia for a long time and Birmingham was known there for example.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Manchester isnt the 2nd city. It never will be either.

In every realistic sense it already is.

Far more investment goes there, as well as media, tourism, and many other factors. 

As I say, globally, hardly anyone I ever meet has heard of Birmingham, especially outside of Europe.

Manchester is known by everyone. We all know why that is but it doesn't change the facts.

Birmingham has lost a lot of its relevance in the last 100 years and Manchester has sadly surpassed us

Mainly because of its football teams. I find people have hear of Aston Villa, but not the city of Birmingham. Both Manchester clubs have the citys name and they are both very successful. 

We are the successful club in our city and almost nobody knows we are from Birmingham. In my experience.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Manchester isn’t the second city….now or previously!

I lived in Australia for a long time and Birmingham was known there for example.

Australia is an anomoly as its basically a British colony. I lived there too and yes, some people had heard of Birmingham there.

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

In every realistic sense it already is.

Far more investment goes there, as well as media, tourism, and many other factors. 

As I say, globally, hardly anyone I ever meet has heard of Birmingham, especially outside of Europe.

Manchester is known by everyone. We all know why that is but it doesn't change the facts.

Sorry mate, I'm not having it. Manchester has a more famous football club, and thats it.

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That will never happen, the London bias will never let it happen.  It’s happened for decades, the new Wembley was a classic example that even though the public poll wanted the new stadium in the middle of the country, the powers that be decided London.

London is over saturated. Birmingham/West Midlands is ripe for growth.

Edited by Villa_Vids