New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

and massive debt and interest payments for a very long time.

We'll need money with either option. Its just a case of what represents better value and flexibility.
I'm guessing having to compulsory purchase loads of housing and leases to expand VP isn't the best ROI.

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

They've sold out twice in the past 5 years (one time against us and last month against Sunderland where they were practically giving the tickets away). That seems really stupid. Maybe they've drafted in the architectural genius of Tony Xia as the brains behind this, theme park and all.

I'm sure it'll end up being a great lesson for clubs (including us) on how absolutely not to approach a problematic stadium

Bloses main problem is Villa. They can't grow in our shadow and we make them look shit and unappealing. They'll simply have to relocate to... let's see...

Wales.

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Well, according to most on their forum, they have bought the Wheels site and are building a 60,000 stadium there.

Not even joking, they genuinely, genuinely believe it. Not only that, but it will host NFL games and concerts and be THE stadium for any event in the Midlands. It's one of the reasons they love their new owners; for giving them this stadium.

I dont know how many levels of delusion that is but it's quite a few. Idiots.

......mate

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

2. Move to a new site near the NEC, or the NEC Birmingham to give it t's proper title. Which is next to Birmingham Business Park, Birmingham Airport and Birmingham International Train Station. None of this Solihull nonsense there.
Small Heath can stfu. We'll always be the first and biggest team in Birmingham.

Pros: Built to spec, far more room, better transport links, modern stadium - easier to sell as a multi use commercial venue, increased revenue, no disruption, caters for increased fanbase. Excitement of a new era.
Cons: Leaving VP will be painful.

Also cons - the perfect site (the one that was once earmarked for a new national stadium) is gone to HS2, the sites on the city side of the site are already in plan for a huge housing development as the NEC site is owned by the worlds biggest landlord, Blackstone - so any site at the NEC wouldn't be within easy walking distance of the train station and would require new roads, new car parking and potentially a new motorway junction - we often talk about the NEC as if it's an easy site with a perfect pocket of connected land; it's not.

43 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I never thought I'd advocate leaving VP. I'm not sure if I am now. But does it make more sense if you leave all the emotional attachments aside? Yes.

They're different level clubs, but I'd imagine Man City and Arsenal aren't saying "it's still not Maine Road/Highbury though is it?" despite the obvious emotional attachment fans would have had (and probably still do).

Spurs possibly different as they haven't been there long and, well, they haven't won anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

The infrastructure around the HS2 interchange will be unrivalled in this country, the opportunity presented by it is a complete non brainer I'm just glad SHA aren't in a position to jump ahead of us because any stadium located there is a sure fire financial success.

I can imagine the owners thinking about a bigger stadium and a remote, accessible location in the long term. If we build near the HS2 interchange there is a strong probability that we could grow our fan base, resources & revenue thus become one of the biggest clubs in the world. This location could potentially be a game changer if done correctly. The biggest club in the West Midlands being at the heart of the country that links north to south would be very fitting imo. The V Sports West Midlands sporting complex/campus/Resort?

Slightly off topic but Blues are apparently looking at the wheels site. They are trying to build a sports quarter similar to Manchester City's campus (I want something similar at VP too). I saw a clip on social media of that Wagner bloke saying they are competing against Netflix & Apple, not directly against one rival club. He also welcomes fans in the area who support other teams to come down to St Andrews. 🤣  I think he need to get real. SHA are heading to League 1. It also smells like the Ricoh mk2.

Back on topic. In the short to medium term we will be at a polished VP but I do suspect the owners will be planning for the future. I believe NSWE are doing it "right" - We have been on a journey since 2018, and the first team is currently in the process of building a sporting portfolio to back up any future growth plans. It is exciting. I trust NSWE/V Sports will make the bigger leap in ambition when the time is right. UTV!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and massive debt and interest payments for a very long time.

Hypothetically any massive debt would be long term and on fixed terms. I’d trust Sawaris & Edens to make the right call so not to jeopardise our future or their investment by saddling us with crippling debts we couldn’t support. If / when the business case stacks up I’m sure it’s something they will explore, or have indeed explored.

A true multi use stadia would give us and Birmingham the ability to host concerts all year round,  adding  many millions to us and the local economy. Other events like say a Leon Edwards UFC homecoming fight and the long term potential to host NFL games when the spurs monopoly ends, etc etc. Birmingham is crying out for true world class facilities and we need to be mindful of them down the road who are equally ambitious to grow.  

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

A true multi use stadia would give us and Birmingham the ability to host concerts all year round

This is pure fantasy, it is incompatible with being a football club to host concerts all year round unless this is a completely different auditorium to the actual football. You can’t just flick a switch and a gig happens, you can’t even now with massive advances in grass technology just lay a new pitch one day and play on it the next. There’s a window of opportunity for three maybe four weeks at the end of a season for a football club to host  stadium gigs. Three maybe four concerts in that window maximum.  One of those gigs would probably gross a million quid for the club tops. It’s not the income stream you imagine it to be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, est1874 said:

In general this is true but getting to and from the Emirates is a cinch when you consider the capacity. Think that's the exception though in my experience 

Hardly anyone drives to it, that's the key. The problem is Midlands mentality of needing a car to go anywhere (probably not a surprise given how substandard transport is in most places here).

Manchester grounds have tram spots on top of train and bus routes and with somewhere like the Emirates you have Highbury and Islington and Finsbury Park within 20 minutes walk (and Arsenal tube a lot closer). And buses can get you back into the Kings Cross/Euston area within 20 minutes aswell.

That's why I had a little chuckle at the poster saying he'd take the car if we hypothetically moved out to the NEC when it's served by endless trains and also has a bus hub to most areas of Birmingham.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Again, Spurs have just built a billion pound stadium and ALL those problems still exist for them and more.

Oh yeah Spurs is shocking. Seven Sisters tube must be a good half hour walk away and you've got Northumberland Park and another station the other side but those are Witton type services I think? Bus routes not that well connected to the centre either compared to Arsenal or Chelsea.

I guess though their aim is 60k don't just pile out at the final whistle so it's more staggered than we get with VP where there is very little intention of staying even 10 minutes after the final whistle unless we've just had a great win.

If you had a scenario where 25k went out as usual and 15k stayed back in the vicinity of the ground for an hour after the final whistle then transport would be manageable but we don't and would be even worse with an extra 10k in the area.

6 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

The West Midland Metro is extending to the HS2 interchange. So more transport links. Maybe a bigger stadium (70k plus) with a sporting resort is the long term goal for the club. Wembley of the West Midlands housed by the biggest club in the region.

The capacity of a WM Metro 5 section Urbos unit is 210 people and they run at 10 minute intervals. I really hope someone does that particular piece of maths before they base building a. 70k+ football stadium on closeness to a metro line

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

small heath are moving stadium, plans likely to be anounced on April 9th at a fans forum that has been codenamed 'operation ambition', those in the know have been told the plans 'will blow people's minds', but whether it will all actually go ahead is another thing. They had held talks with the council over the wheels site, but last I heard there were problems buying it, I think amazon, as in the company, already plans for it or something

Confirmed, I was right - I think it was that 'Almajir' that posted about it. Would be even funnier if they got relegated now

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

We'll need money with either option. Its just a case of what represents better value and flexibility.
I'm guessing having to compulsory purchase loads of housing and leases to expand VP isn't the best ROI.

Why do we need to buy houses? We can get most of it from North Stand proposal (currently on hold) plus some other adjustments like a couple of the corners filled in (which Heck is apparently looking at at the moment).  No need to buy some of the housing around the ground.

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is pure fantasy, it is incompatible with being a football club to host concerts all year round unless this is a completely different auditorium to the actual football. You can’t just flick a switch and a gig happens, you can’t even now with massive advances in grass technology just lay a new pitch one day and play on it the next. There’s a window of opportunity for three maybe four weeks at the end of a season for a football club to host  stadium gigs. Three maybe four concerts in that window maximum.  One of those gigs would probably gross a million quid for the club tops. It’s not the income stream you imagine it to be.

And we already host at Villa Park such gigs like Pink, Springsteen and Foo Fighters so not new revenue.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

A true multi use stadium with a retractable roof and pitch would mean concerts and other non grass events do not have to be held within a four week summer window … it’s just a fantasy proposal I admit 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why do we need to buy houses? We can get most of it from North Stand proposal (currently on hold) plus some other adjustments like a couple of the corners filled in (which Heck is apparently looking at at the moment).  No need to buy some of the housing around the ground.

What about the cramped fans in the Witton stand - do they not deserve safer and better facilities, or we just ignore that stand? Thats why buying houses has been proposed so it can be made fit for purpose which would increase revenue per seat 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What about the cramped fans in the Witton stand - do they not deserve safer and better facilities, or we just ignore that stand? Thats why buying houses has been proposed so it can be made fit for purpose which would increase revenue per seat 

The club aren’t going to buy up the houses, redevelop the stand just so the fans have a bit more room and a bit more facilities.  

Seriously this is fantasy stuff.

• Like 1