Match Thread: West Ham v Villa

limpid

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Duran has been given no service really. The one time he was in a dangerous area Bailey fails to see him.

Duran has done nothing wrong for me.

Others much more guilty.

Rogers and defenders etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Such incompetence 

I must say I don't know what a handball is nowadays, but with that little caveat, it's not a penalty to me. Leon flicks it straight into his hand, maybe on purpose.

• Like 1

Just now, AVTuco said:

I must say I don't know what a handball is nowadays, but with that little caveat, it's not a penalty to me. Leon flicks it straight into his hand, maybe on purpose.

Think he's trying to find Konsa

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

They did review it and saw nothing wrong.

They knew it was a penalty, but the threshold to overturn the onfield decision is ridiculously high that they were never going to send the ref over. Whatever the ref awards on the pitch will always stand, making VAR pretty pointless for anything other than offsides. Its a penalty all day long. 99% of neutrals would agree

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He shouldn't have hit it, he should have found Duran who would have been 1-on-1 with the last defender. It's poor and I feel Duran's frustration, it's happened more than once over the last few months with Bailey failing to see him! His decision making is still very poor at times.

Oh he definitely should have passed it but the fact that opening didn't even result in an attempt is just poor.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I love Konsa but it does seem to me that he often gets the wrong side of his man.

Overall a bit of a shambles, we genuinely look like we have gone for a mental 4-2-4.  The defenders playing around with it with not much on and losing it.  Just bizarre, we need to change it up while it's still only 1-0.

Was lenglet’s man tbf 

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Pretty livid about that. I get he was pointing but how on earth is that not a pen? Clear as day handball.

And proximity is no excuse, because the ball was dinked onto his arm, not blasted into it.   I bet if the ref had given it VAR would not have overturned it, but refs often don’t make the call because they figure VAR will correct them if they make a mistake.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:
4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Livid. No VAR review either - commentators implied they saw nothing wrong with it. 

They did review it and saw nothing wrong.

The bloke on sky sports news said there was nothing in it as well..

Just taking way too long to move the ball, especially in attack. That last play by Bailey the perfect example. Had about three passes on but decided to hold it up until he had none.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Stop arguing with yourself.

They are playing poorly, there's no real excuses, they are paid and trained to play football. McGinn is a huge loss, but I'm not having the fatigue boll***s.

If you are right, we may aswell concede the season.

Yes I'm making excuses for these lazy words removed who are in fourth place, outperforming expectations and pushing for both CL qualification and European success. 

Have a word with yourself. 

The inconsistency is maddening no doubt but I’d be annoyed if that handball was given against us, the defender is already pointing and Bailey kicks the ball at his arm in close range.

Think the refereeing in general has been decent as he’s not blowing his whistle at every jostle.

Need to make some changes, but first need a different bench to choose from.   The only players I think could improve anything are Diaby and Digne.