Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

In fairness, Unai never consistently passed the ball back to opposition to create goals

I actually thought it was very even first half and all in the balance.

1 goal down, ok, then Konsa passes it to them for the second.

Meatball loses his head and gets sent off leaving us down to 10.

For that, i don't think i can blame Unai.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm trying to think who I'd have played on the left in order to play the usual formation and struggling.  The best I can think of is Moreno ahead of Digne.  Diaby and Zaniolo seem like wastes of skin at the moment and I'm not sure about Rogers defensively.

Yep. 

Just now, Leeroy said:

We always do it. 1999, 2009, you can now add 2024 to times when we’ve totally and utterly bottled it at the business end of the season.

I don’t see us bouncing back. As people have said, home form is completely out the window, injuries are bad, our silly captain is now suspended for three games, and losing 4-0 at home to a team below us is going to seriously damage our belief. 

So much negative news recently too. Stadium expansion plans paused, FFP issues in the press, and then in January in a position of great strength we only signed Rogers an average championship player and a right back who we loaned back to his club for the season.

Hopefully the wheels aren’t falling off already so early into Emery’s tenure.

The "Schoupenhuer" of Villa Talk.

We were always going to struggle badly against Spurs hard pressing approach. Emery tried something new, and it didn't work out. He should've seen it earlier though, and made sufficient changes already at half-time. Meatball brainfart was way worse than the defeat. We can still achieve top5. 

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I said the same about January and was repeatedly told we didn’t need another DCM because of Tim and we didn’t need another right back because of Konsa 🤷‍♂️

Villa needed 3 quality players in January and didn’t do it. Whether that was due to FFP I don’t know but Villa could have spent in Jan and not invested in the summer.

Dunno how many chances these players need to achieve something. Yes, I thought tactics weren't the best from Unai but players have no one to blame but themselves.

Hate the phrase "bottle jobs" I really do. But every time this season we've been put to the test they've failed to deliver. Mentally just not up to it.

Edited by NorthEastVillan

Spurs have better players than us. We punch about our weight so players need to be at peak fitness to win this type of game. When you have an away European game 3 days earlier they will struggle. It’s really hard to get a balance when you don’t have the squad for it. 

I will say McGinn better run his tail off on Thursday such that he drops a pants size. He’s got one game before about a month off, if he doesn’t throw up from exhaustion he’s not gone hard enough (no Kenneth, pls). 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

69/31 possession for spurs in the first half and we had nothing on target but sure we edged the first half 🤷‍♂️

Possession isn't the only metric of whether you've edged a period of a match.

Screenshot_20240310_152807.thumb.jpg.c116502d99eb5678fe07ee2a79316551.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Spurs have better players than us. We punch about our weight so players need to be at peak fitness to win this type of game. When you have an away European game 3 days earlier they will struggle. It’s really hard to get a balance when you don’t have the squad for it. 

They would love to have a bunch of our players 

Poor first half all round, too many petty fouls in positions that didn’t even invite attack from set pieces.

Lots of tired looking performances which together make it tough to get anything at this level.

Bad dismissal in terms of killing the rest of the game, wearing out players for 10 minutes added on time (where did that come from?) and not being available for three games starting the last 10 run in.

It was a horrible challenge, but it looked fast and clumsy rather than any bad intention, a Man Utd player would probably have got a yellow. Nevertheless it was stupid to give the ref a decision to make, very poor judgement from a team captain.

At least there is not much time to dwell on this with the potential for an unforgettably brilliant night on Thursday before the next league match. UTV

Getting pissed about missing Champions league is ridiculous. We are not ready and everyone will get even more pissed when we do a Newcastle . We are far better getting experience in this year’s competition, moving on to the Europa league next season and building the squad over another year or two. 5 years ago today we beat Blues1-0 our current position is fairly impressive despite todays result. If you believe the comments on here most of our players are utter shit ( they really aren’t) so how realistically are they going to compete in the champions league? We can’t buy a new team for next season this is largely our squad going forward. It’s been good enough to get us this far which is way  beyond what most people realistically expected back in August. Aim high yes but also have some patience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, adw95 said:

Possession isn't the only metric of whether you've edged a period of a match.

Screenshot_20240310_152807.thumb.jpg.c116502d99eb5678fe07ee2a79316551.jpg

So because a header went to our left back in the last minute we edged it…. Nope

1 minute ago, smg said:

Getting pissed about missing Champions league is ridiculous. We are not ready and everyone will get even more pissed when we do a Newcastle . We are far better getting experience in this year’s competition, moving on to the Europa league next season and building the squad over another year or two. 5 years ago today we beat Blues1-0 our current position is fairly impressive despite todays result. If you believe the comments on here most of our players are utter shit ( they really aren’t) so how realistically are they going to compete in the champions league? We can’t buy a new team for next season this is largely our squad going forward. It’s been good enough to get us this far which is way  beyond what most people realistically expected back in August. Aim high yes but also have some patience.

True but it would still be nice to experience Champions League once in our lifetimes. . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smg said:

You're assuming there will be gradual steady improvement and we'll slowly move up from Conference to Europe to UCL but that's not how it works. United sorted their ownership and will no doubt become top club sooner than later and Chelsea with their infinite money will become a threat sooner or later, a chance to play CL might not come for 20-30 years like it has been presented now. 

1 minute ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

One of the best things about the football under Emery until now has been that we've taken the game to the opponent, no matter who they are, especially at home. This new pragmatic approach does not suit us at all. We're conceding for fun at the moment, so why not at least play to our strengths and try to outscore the opponent? Very disappointing to come so far only to suddenly lose faith in the style of play that got us here. 

Tbf if we took advantage of the two very good situations we had first half it would likely be a different story

6 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

We got it wrong today . System allowed spurs to play and they did . 

We were fine in the first half, Spurs created nothing. 2nd half collapse is what cost us.

• Like 2