Match Thread: UECL16: Ajax v Villa

limpid

Pretty poor match so far. Ajax are no great shakes and shouldn’t really present much of a threat. But we have been a bit passive with some sloppy stuff in midfield .Interesting to see what changes Emery will make. Think this may all be too early for Morgan. Bailey for Diaby.

Edited by briny_ear

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

Nothing wrong wit that. Just a bit boring to watch.

We're away at what people considered one of the most difficult teams left in the conference.

We haven't expended a lot of energy.l, we're getting minutes into Pau and Konsa after injuries, and we're giving Tim and Rogers some experience. 

This puts us in a good position for Spurs on Sunday and to control the second leg once that's out of the way.

Seems like it's all going to plan to me..

Exactly

I think we're playing well within the confines of the plan, it's just a classic bore-them-to-death plan.

A few players need to be a bit sharper on the ball, some of it is too casual, but bar the odd scare, it's been sensible away football.

Very negative on here, we basically played like this against Chelsea in league cup first leg and then tried to rob it in last 20mins. Trust the process 

• Like 2

We should be looking to end this tie tonight - going away with a clean sheet will be one of those things that people paint as clever European play, but we really ought to be capable of finishing the tie in this game. 

I think Iroegbunam has done okay - he's moving the ball about alright, some good things, some bad things, TIelemans started slow but improved, he tends to be better in second halves, diary started brightly then disappeared, Watkins has been isolated and Rogers hasn't done much more than I have.

Replace Rogers with a player we can get involved in the game and it'll start to feel a lot more balanced.

A slower tempo just does not suit us, and I can't believe we haven't worked that out yet. We become complacent, sloppy and just invite needless pressure. If Unai doesn't switch this up I see Ajax nicking it in the 2nd half.  

Tim, Diaby, Konsa, Tielemans and Rogers have been the main culprits imo. Very poor first 45. Need to switch on tbh.  

• Like 1

Diaby, he really does test ones patience. Tielmans looks like he has super glue on his soles and Luiz seems complacent. It's not like we're playing Real Madrid. We could at least show some intent. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

So, shift.

giphy.gif

We’re granny shifting… we’ll just glide through the gears as and when we need. 

• Like 1

The game plan of sitting deep, letting them have the ball, and keeping it tight is working, if we can keep it like this with twenty or so minutes to go, then bring on the likes of McGInn and Bailey to try and wn the game

If we were starting with our best eleven I suspect we would have taken the game to them more, but because we've got Spurs to think about have to be more strategic

I think some got too carried away with the idea that Ajax aren't very good, including the commentary, they've only lost two of their last fifteen, and haven't lost at home in the league since October, any kind of a result for us today is a good result

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

So we have basically been in 1st gear this half, I haven’t been convinced that Ajax will score and we are playing an intentionally weakened side so we can rest some players. Pretty happy with how it has gone. Would like a bit more effort to see if we can nick a win in the second, but not that fussed if it stays like this. 

Yep

1 minute ago, John said:

A draw would be a very good result and I would take that now, if it was on offer.

I'm not sure it would be - I'd like to see us in a position where we can rest a load of players for the second leg. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We don't need to win this game. A draw would be just fine. I wouldn't make any changes yet.

I wouldn't change anything if we keep it at 0-0 and they don't look like scoring. Big game this weekend, we must keep energy in the legs of the rested players.

Taking few risks, and keeping it tight was no doubt the plan. Having only 37% possession and only 83% passing accuracy was likely not the plan.

• Like 1

Meanwhile Liverpool 3-0 up

Are they taking it easy before playing Man City?

I'm sorry but this isn't tactical or clever before a big PL game it's just been piss poor all round

• Like 1