Match Thread: UECL16: Ajax v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Whatever the question is, Zaniolo is not the answer. 

I can think of a few questions he's the answer for, but the mods aren't going to like any of them

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Haven’t got our passing game going today… particularly further forward.

Zero service for Ollie.

Expect us to improve in the 2nd half.

This midfield has no McGinn, Ramsey or Kamara remember.

Were playing Rodgers who has played like twice for the club and Tim who has hardly played.

Going in 0 - 0 at HT is a decent result given the changes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Apparently neither is Diaby, Rogers or Tielemans or Bailey a season ago…

Just now, Tayls said:

So we have basically been in 1st gear this half, I haven’t been convinced that Ajax will score and we are playing an intentionally weakened side so we can rest some players. Pretty happy with how it has gone. Would like a bit more effort to see if we can nick a win in the second, but not that fussed if it stays like this. 

So, shift.

giphy.gif

45 minutes of shite

Want too much time on the ball, can't pass to a team mate, losing every 50/50.

Keeping it tight away from home in europe is a tactic - this is not it, this is getting outplayed

Tielemans, Diaby and Rogers have been awful

• Haha 1

Wow that was absolute dross. I get the conservative way of playing in the first leg but that has been very poor. Tim, Tielemans, Rogers, Diaby absolutely hopeless. 

• Like 1

Going to plan, I suppose. It's no surprise we are not very fluent with the b team representatives in situ - we've seen it before, but even with that said, we've offered nothing going forward. Nonetheless, score first and we can smash them, but we just need to up the tempo now and bring some of the big guns on.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

question: who's loan should we not make permanent in the summer?

Nothing wrong wit that. Just a bit boring to watch.

We're away at what people considered one of the most difficult teams left in the conference.

We haven't expended a lot of energy.l, we're getting minutes into Pau and Konsa after injuries, and we're giving Tim and Rogers some experience. 

This puts us in a good position for Spurs on Sunday and to control the second leg once that's out of the way.

Seems like it's all going to plan to me..

• Like 4

Just now, Davkaus said:

He was already doing well in the Championship. Maybe he just needs more than a month of learning where he fits into our team...

Yeah he wasn't brought in for the short term and rightly so But he looks to be miles away from the level needed and at the same time he needs to play. Hopefully he'll take leaps during the rest of the season and in the summer

Just now, AshVilla said:

This midfield has no McGinn, Ramsey or Kamara remember.

Were playing Rodgers who has played like twice for the club and Tim who has hardly played.

Going in 0 - 0 at HT is a decent result given the changes.

Yeah I know, like i said - the drop off is quite severe when we are missing certain, stronger players. We don’t have the depth or quality of squad to be able to rotate much.

Injuries have also put paid to that. 

Hopefully Tim will be better for this experience but he’s not shown much at all so far… but, patience is required with the youngsters…

• Like 1

I’m quite enjoying this, reminds me of the old European nights where you play very solid away and then beat them at home.  

You play counterattacking football and hopefully get an away goal or two.  

Very solid first half, just frustrating the home team and crowd, play slightly more expansive in the second half but still solid.

This is how European winning football is played which our fans need to get used to as it’s never like the PL football and why so many fail and managers like Emery succeeds.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, villaajax said:

Villa are making it feel like Ajax have an extra player or two on the pitch.

They do. He is dressed in black.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 2