• Ramsey
    • McGinn
    • Watkins
    • Diaby (Kamara 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/02/24 at 23:59

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

See, this is the issue with hope. 

after city and arsenal, I only saw us extending our home win record and look how it turned out 

huge few weeks coming up 

Come on now, Stef, anything but the "hope" cliche.

Shows how the Football World has changed when I feel genuinely embarrassed to have that lot do the double over us.

How you can get a defeat out of that game is beyond ridiculous. Our defence is the issue however & was the reason I thought we would lose the game prior to KO.

We are not good enough squad wise to withstand injuries to Konsa, Torres, Digne & Mings. Both goals were down to the replacements. Despite this we should still have won that game but you cannot be so porous at the back whilst missing absolute sitters at the other end against any Premier League team & expect to win. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

What is Pau on the bench for then last 2 games if his not fit ?

I assume because he’s not fit enough for 90 minutes or maybe even a lot less and is only there in case a serious injury to either Carlos or Lenglet, which is our luck at the moment.  I’m guessing the medical staff and Emery don’t want to use him unless desperation but sometimes needs must.  You only have to look at JJ coming back too early before Xmas which set him back, Olise at Palace who then got injured within 5 minutes and now out for months…

Sometimes I wake up and I forget: We are Villa. We can't have nice things.

3 things I learned:

• If we want to win at home, we really need to score first
  • Nobody engages Martinez when he stands on the ball. Seeing as we were behind - what's the point?
  • 23 shots, 10 on target and 1 goal. Our finishing cost us.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

For those that watched on TV and have seen replays, how bad was this challenge, it was a good fifty yards from me but my first thought was that Fernandes could go off for it, I then thought probably not as this ref would bottle that and just give him a yellow - I should have realised there was more chance of him giving him a hand job and he settled for a nice chat. Anyways, was it a potential red? It looked two footed, off the ground and out of control.

It looked bad and he lunged, but not enough for a red. A yellow? Yep.

More concerning, though, was when Maguire had McGinn bailed up on the sideline. All over him, but McGinn turns and is away - despite Maguire literally grabbing both arms to haul him back.

Ref gives a free kick (advantage would have been better - McGinn was filthy at the decision!) and a stern talking to.

Laughable.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Disagree with Emery when he said we controlled the transition. I thought that was where we were at our most vulnerable. 17 shots from them seems evidence enough that we got caught time and again.

Also, is it me or has the meticulous line drawing for offsides suddenly disappeared? I thought there was a chance their winner might be chalked off when the ball was played through to Mainoo (I think) who then knocked it back for Dalot to cross. 

I thought that pass to Mainoo was definitely offside. No mention of it and whether VAR checked it. 

7 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

More concerning, though, was when Maguire had McGinn bailed up on the sideline. All over him, but McGinn turns and is away - despite Maguire literally grabbing both arms to haul him back.

Ref gives a free kick (advantage would have been better - McGinn was filthy at the decision!) and a stern talking to.

Laughable.

It’s a farce. 

I was going to come on here and say I fecking hate United. And I do, but after reading this thread I am starting to hate Villa fans as well. Fecking hell lads, get a grip of yourselves. 

"Tailspin", "Blown it", "Season over" etc etc. Go and give your heads a wobble. 

Yes we have had some bad results recently and a couple of bad performances. Today was not a bad performance, and we were the better team for most of the game. Unai has built up a lot of credit in the bank and I have no doubt he will sort this out. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Laughable.

The worst one was Kamara being fouled about 5 times on the edge of their area, having the dignity to stay on his feet, and then getting nothing when he finally went down on the 6th attempt 

• Like 4

So so depressing, carbon copy almost of that MON season, looking nailed on for top 4, a real chance for a huge catapult to getting back to the big time, and then a mixture of players folding under pressure and terrible January transfer window has meant its all crumbling into dust..

We were crying out for solid dependable reinforcements at CB and at CM in January, instead we mess about signing youth prospects..

We basically staked everything on Luiz and Kamara being fit and on form in every game to have a midfield that can compete, and we staked everything on Watkins being fit and not having his usual long periods of misfiring in front of goal, both have come back to bite us

And now it could be another 20 odd years till we could find ourselves in a similar position.

Emery disappointed me today. We had United rocking, the crowd was fired up, the players were fired up.....and all Emery did on the touchline was try to calm and quieten us down

I'm trying not to overreact, but its hard not to

• Like 1

Crikey 20 people have voted the managers performance as poor or very poor. I assume therefore those supporters feel the manager picked completely the wrong team/got the tactics completely wrong/didn't have the players fired up or motivated. Amazing really how we somehow in the main dominated and outplayed the team currently 6th in the premier league. 

Where we did on occasion look vulnerable today, defensively, which ultimately cost us, it is probably worth factoring in that we are currently playing our 4th and 5th best centre backs.

Seriously if we have supporters who think that performance warrants giving the manager a very poor/poor rating you either have very, very, very short memories and have forgotten what poor management looks like or have just started following us in which case if you stick around long enough you'll eventually come to realise what poor management really looks like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â