• Ramsey
    • McGinn
    • Watkins
    • Diaby (Kamara 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/02/24 at 23:59

This fixture means everything  to me the fact we lost them both in such manner has crushed me and it may look like I'm overreacting, but we can win our next two and i wont be bothered because this was a game i had us to get a win against them especially after the reverse fixture and also to progress against Chelsea in the cup and we have crumbled at both! Im gonna want us to win of course but i have so much anger and disappointment in me its hard to think about feeling happy about anything we do as a club for a while, please don't come for my head im just devastated after today and even this week, my phone hasn’t stopped today got so many voice messages off united fans that I'm surrounded by, its got to me this one and it hurts 

• Like 1

Frustrating and promising. Didn’t deserve to lose, could and should have won by a few goals against a form team. Emery said it’s our second best performance this season and he is right. 

We will learn from that and have players coming back into consideration. We have plenty of fight in us yet. 

• Like 1

I hate the feeling I get after results like today and against clubs like them. It really feels like a punch in the gut. A malaise sets in and lingers for a few days after. I **** hate that new era sh*t Man Utd continues to pull off these wins against us. We have to do better against our immediate rivals. The Spurs game is now the big one. A loss at home to them will be unacceptable. The players must figure out how to meet these moments, and the manager has to prepare them better for these moments of pressure and expectation. If they can't handle it, then we will find our appropriate level in the league table after the final match day.

• Like 1

A 1-1 draw would have been ok, but to lose the way we did, give me the hump.

I asked myself....Would we have ever scored a header like that?, and out muscled the defender in that manner......also why was Dalot not closed down, so late in the game.....that was shabby.

This serial killing by United, is getting tedious.....Yes the Ref was beyond poor, more like shocking.....but we have to defend better than this.

The way we have let them back in, twice this season, has to be cause for concern.

That was 2 headers that killed us....1 assist, and 1 goal.

Missing our first choice centre backs, is the main issue here, but I fear it will cost us this season.....but I am fed up of pundits referring to mis matches when we get outjumped in aerial duels.

The performance overall was good, and we had more than enough chances to have won 2 games.....but defending is also a part of a perfromance, and the 2 goals we conceded was poor.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Perhaps now that our great expectations for this team are cratering, the team might start feeling less pressure to meet our great expectations (and those of pundits, et al), and start winning again. 

The players and manager need us now more than ever. We can still qualify for the CL and we can still win a trophy. 

Don't let this bad run of results dampen our spirit. 

We can recover from this wobble.

We are still higher in the league, than I expect us to finish, so I am ok.

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

This fixture means everything  to me the fact we lost them both in such manner has crushed me and it may look like I'm overreacting, but we can win our next two and i wont be bothered because this was a game i had us to get a win against them especially after the reverse fixture and also to progress against Chelsea in the cup and we have crumbled at both! Im gonna want us to win of course but i have so much anger and disappointment in me its hard to think about feeling happy about anything we do as a club for a while, please don't come for my head im just devastated after today and even this week, my phone hasn’t stopped today got so many voice messages off united fans that I'm surrounded by, its got to me this one and it hurts 

It doesn't seem to matter, what stature their team or our team is at.....what players are missing or back.....they find a way to win.

If we was top of the league, and them bottom, they would find a way of winning.......just that one moment in a game, where we become sloppy, just negates all the hard work, sweat and toil......frustrating is such an under stated word for it.

It tickles me, how smug they are with it.....like they know its going to happen.

Their second goal, angers me too....but so like us to concede.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Sometimes I wake up and I forget: We are Villa. We can't have nice things.

3 things I learned:

• If we want to win at home, we really need to score first
  • Nobody engages Martinez when he stands on the ball. Seeing as we were behind - what's the point?
  • 23 shots, 10 on target and 1 goal. Our finishing cost us.

but we still could have won 1-0

In the 3 games at home we have lost.....Newcastle, Chelsea and Man U........We have scored.

Conceding more than we score, is the problem.....but we all seem to know why that is.

6 hours ago, striker said:

Ok so Emery has just said Bailey’s substitution was tactical.

Manager has to take a lot of criticism for that as he was Villa’s main threat.

Concerning the rest of the game apart from the first twenty Villa were the better team but just weren’t clinical enough in front of goal.

Playing any other team some of those chances would have been taken but it’s habitual against Man U so it must, must, come down to character and temperament when playing Manchester United even though they are without doubt the worst Utd side in recent history. Villa have still managed to lose twice against them this season but have beaten City and Arsenal. 

Noted one or two on here saying that 5th was secure after the Chelsea game. Think again. Villa’s character within the team is shaky at best so with Man U now closing it wouldn’t surprise me to see the slide continue.

Emery looked **** furious post match so it will be up to him to improve the temperament by bringing more winners into the side in the summer.

I don't believe you can concede that second goal, in that manner, without consequences.....being beaten in the air, like we was, is shabby, for a high placed team, like ours

Its glaringly obvious where we are weak, and the sooner we get some first choice centre backs back, the better.

I don't think that tactical, change lost us the game, it was debateable granted, but the thinking did make sense, to pack the midfield.....piss poor defending, lost us that game, as it did in the previous 2 home games.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

but we still could have won 1-0

In the 3 games at home we have lost.....Newcastle, Chelsea and Man U........We have scored.

Conceding more than we score, is the problem.....but we all seem to know why that is.

I don't.

Their first goal came from Watkins switching off at a corner and leaving Rasmus onside.

The ones from Chelsea (at least the first 2) came from horrible turnovers by Kamara

The ones from Newcastle (at least the first 2) came from horrible set piece defending from corners

Newcastle aside - it's not the central defenders who are culpable.

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We didn't deserve to lose that.

Completely agree, we were the better team . I listened to Unai on the way home. He was right we said we had the chances and should have sored more.

Our passing game is not quick enough IMO. Fair enough, keep position, but do it all quicker instead of making it obvious and easier to defend against. We were in the Trinity, screaming to the players to be on the hurry up, but could clearly see Unai shouting to calm it down. He kicked every ball and knows when he wants fast play and calm play. But tit didn't work today. Also unless it was an injury, I could not see why he took SJM off, the bloke is an animal, everything seemed to come from him (my MOTM) and I think we lost shape after he was replaced. 

Hey we have 3 games that we bloody ought to win now and should be back in top 4 after that 

Edited by Robtaylor200

I’ve woken up just as angry as I was last night. Amazing the impact a Villa win it a Villa loss has. And a loss against Man Utd in the manner we lost is an absolute sickener. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't believe you can concede that second goal, in that manner, without consequences.....being beaten in the air, like we was, is shabby, for a high placed team, like ours

Its glaringly obvious where we are weak, and the sooner we get some first choice centre backs back, the better.

I don't think that tactical, change lost us the game, it was debateable granted, but the thinking did make sense, to pack the midfield.....piss poor defending, lost us that game, as it did in the previous 2 home games.

It was just an error by Cash who is our weakest player as Emery knows but we have no replacement at the moment. He is not good enough for where we now are and the same can be said of the likes of Diaby and Tielemans. I'm pretty sure they will all be replaced by better in the Summer but, until then, we unfortunately have to carry them along with us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Is Kamara alright? That’s all I care about.

Knowing our luck, he will probably out for six weeks. :( Injuries at the back in recent weeks to Digne, Torres and now Konza have really done for us. I don't know why we didn't put someone other than Kamara on Maguire at corners, because he was clearly struggling against him from the start. Ramsey of last season would have put away at least one of his opportunities, as would Watkins on another day. Can't believe that Hoylund scored against us again and that they beat us with a late, late goal yet again.

The chasing pack are now hot on our heels and are smelling blood, Spurs have got their noses in front of us, having found the knack of scoring late goals that has now deserted us. The season isn't over yet though and things can get better.🤞I'm not giving up on us just yet and I'm sure UE is of the same opinion. We had a great 2023, but have hit a real bump in the road, winners bounce back and we need to do exactly that, and quickly!  

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Villa87 said:

I’ve woken up just as angry as I was last night. Amazing the impact a Villa win it a Villa loss has. And a loss against Man Utd in the manner we lost is an absolute sickener. 

Tell me about it, especially when you get ‘why aren’t you answering us’ messages from the one thousand united fans close🤬really felt sick after that one just crushed, if newcastle beating us at home hurt then this is one that will always hurt alot more 😤

11 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's such a contagious club. I imagine she may be saying to her nine year old one day, "it was at your age that I fell in love with this club," 

I really hope we can still watch the Villa in the afterlife. 

We will really have some squad depth and team selection will be a bit of a headache for the boss. Might struggle to find a ref though, most of them will be in the other place. :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

It was just an error by Cash who is our weakest player as Emery knows but we have no replacement at the moment. He is not good enough for where we now are and the same can be said of the likes of Diaby and Tielemans. I'm pretty sure they will all be replaced by better in the Summer but, until then, we unfortunately have to carry them along with us.

It was Cash's error, but where was the defensive line? He has no aerial prowess, our full backs are iffy, at back post headers too.....we lost the game, in both boxes.

2 hours ago, Villa87 said:

I think its the inevitability that kills us.....I still think the collapse at Old Trafford, was worse.

Â