Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

7 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This is the most strange persuit i have seen in a long time. 

We have been going for absolute top quality players for the last 18 months. Proven top quality. 

And Rogers seems not to be all that. So what has Emery seen that has made him persue him like this. He must have seen something that he feels can be turned into something great. Because he doesnt look a patch on Philogene to my untrained eye. 

Another Villa fan though  so happy days. 

But Emery is known for picking up players that have fallen from grace or that others don’t see something in them and turning them into very good players.  Added to that, Monchi is after him as well.  

If not that then he’s young, big, has technical abilities, works hard and apparently a Villa fan so unless he’s the new Collymore (lazy) he’s going to work his socks off and let’s hope the ability is there that Emery sees because he has the attributes (shame about lack of pace).

I’m intrigued and excited by him…not expecting much this season but time under Emery’s coaching we could have found a gem 🙏

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

High addons to diminish Man city's sell on clause? 

That would be my guess. 15m is way over priced, but if its 8-9m + 6m add ons then it makes sense. I Imagine if they're achieved then he'll be worth it anyway.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

High addons to diminish Man city's sell on clause? 

I'd say its more to do with him being a young player who still has a lot to prove. If he proves it you pay more, if not he costs you less. 

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Could've done with wanting him six months ago. Seems weird

We put in all the resources to get Diaby in the summer and in the end probably paid a bit more for him than we wanted (remember when people were convinced he was going to Saudi Arabia). Probably would've been it for forward line but then lost Buendia so Zaniolo needed to be sourced to cover that position (considering we also lost Ramsey at same time).

I think Rogers is more a development signing. He could come off which would be brilliant but if not we'll probably sell him on to a newly promoted team.

Gone are the days when we sign someone for 10-15m and they just walk into the starting 11.

Seems an odd purchase, especially for January. Looks very much like a signing for the long term, not a quick fix to improve the squad which most January signings are. And how long have we been monitoring for? He has only been at boro for half a season. Were we looking at in last summer as he would have cost a lot less? What has he exactly shown in 4 months of championship football to warrant us targeting as our no 1 January signing?

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Let's just be clear on what we're comparing. We're comparing our own opinions on a player we'd never seen play football before this month. To the opinions of Unai Emery, Monchi, Mackenzie (the guy who bought Kante from the 2nd division in France) and the entire scouting and data department of a club that has assembled a top 4 squad on a fraction of the budget of the Big 6. 

We're comparing those two opinions and believe we are right and they are wrong. Your ability to compare Philogene to Rogers isn't relevant. 

All valid points. But i was not claiming i am right and Emery is wrong.  i was asking what has Emery seen that i havent. Looking for answers from the forum. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Comment from the Athletic article... 

Screenshot_2024-01-28-17-31-20-36_40054a3c554926b9d62df8cea7e66238.jpg

But it’s not an ‘either/or’ situation given positions, styles and buy back options.  Don’t know the details of the buy backs but if Ramsey and JPB played really well we could buy them back and our team in a few could include all three at the same time.  Highly unlikely anyway, but I don’t really get the indirect swapping one player out and another comes in comparison.  Different players different styles and different needs….we aren’t a group of individuals, we have players that are cogs to a way of playing that Emery wants.

Rogers played against us on the 6th of Jan, he must have impressed Emery on that occasion, maybe he was difficult for us to deal with, I did watch the game but didn't notice him tbh but borough was a tough nut to crack.

24 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Seems an odd purchase, especially for January. Looks very much like a signing for the long term, not a quick fix to improve the squad which most January signings are. And how long have we been monitoring for? He has only been at boro for half a season. Were we looking at in last summer as he would have cost a lot less? What has he exactly shown in 4 months of championship football to warrant us targeting as our no 1 January signing?

The guy we have working in the academy knew him from West Brom so probably gave Monchi/Emery heads up before we played Boro in the cup and they liked what the saw on the night and decided to go get him now.

I still don't get why people are demanding he comes in and fires us into the CL, we need to respect FFP and in any case we did that in the summer getting Pau, Tielemans and Diaby all in. Zaniolo also has great experience so nothing much has changed.

We are playing a lot more matches this season, and it must be Unai's expectation that this will happen again next season. Signing reasonably cheap (by PL standards) up and coming players like Morgan Rogers and Jon Rowe would add extra Strength, technique and youthful energy to our match day squad without breaking the bank. We need players coming off the bench who can run at tiring opposition defences and get in their faces. In my opinion either or both would be very welcome additions under Emery's tutelage.

12-15m seems about market value. Archer and Ramsey both went to Premier league clubs for similar fees and didn't have much experience. We paid 12m for Konsa as well (although he had played more games at Championship level). As long as Rogers isn't a total disaster here then we will probably get our money back on the deal at the very least.

Edited by Made In Aston

All a bit bizarre really. £15m + add ons is a lot more than Philogene went for, more than Aaron Ramsey went for, and not far off what we got for Archer. But Archer and Ramsey had done far more in the Champ than Rogers and Philogene had shown similar levels. 

Very strange but we clearly want him and Unai clearly thinks this is a player who is capable of being coached to play at the level of a top 4 team. We will see how it works out. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

All a bit bizarre really. £15m + add ons is a lot more than Philogene went for, more than Aaron Ramsey went for, and not far off what we got for Archer. But Archer and Ramsey had done far more in the Champ than Rogers and Philogene had shown similar levels. 

Very strange but we clearly want him and Unai clearly thinks this is a player who is capable of being coached to play at the level of a top 4 team. We will see how it works out. 

i thought it was up to 15m with add-ons, not 15m plus add-ons?

• Like 1

Â