Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

59 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not many top 4/6 teams go for Championship players. A bit underwhelmed over this.

They also have more freedom financially, because they haven't averaged a premier league position of about 17th for the last ten years. They've generally been in the top 4 or 6 and had champions league as a result. 

Ticks all the boxes. Lots of potential, little downside. 

The kind of transfer that usually happens at other clubs and another sign of Villa getting their act together and not splunking a winter transfer on the Coutinho’s, Samatta’s, and Chambers of the world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Not many top 4/6 teams go for Championship players. A bit underwhelmed over this.

We are a top 4/6 team and Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Ramsey and Watkins have all played in the Championship.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, jayEm said:

I trust him but it's very interesting that Emery would be focusing our limited resources on this player.

Not sure what to make of this comment. Are you saying in fact you don’t really trust him? Otherwise, what’s the point of the “but…” bit?

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Interested to know why we are going for him now and not the summer.

Unless we think he's ready to be part of the first team right now? 

Or maybe we think by the summer other PL teams will be after him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Interested to know why we are going for him now and not the summer.

Unless we think he's ready to be part of the first team right now? 

I think with Buendia out for the season and Tielemans struggling for fitness we could do with another player who can pick a pass in the final third. And (hopefully) we are going to be pushing in the league, FA cup and Europa Conf so we need depth!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Maybe not Championship players but foreign leagues that are Championship level.  A lot of the foreign leagues are Championship level apart from a couple of teams in those leagues so 95% of the games are Championship level.  So yes the Championship isn’t sexy but it’s as competitive as a lot of the European leagues for most of the games and top 4/6 teams are buying players from those leagues.

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe not Championship players but foreign leagues that are Championship level.  A lot of the foreign leagues are Championship level apart from a couple of teams in those leagues so 95% of the games are Championship level.  So yes the Championship isn’t sexy but it’s as competitive as a lot of the European leagues for most of the games and top 4/6 teams are buying players from those leagues.

interesting isnt it?

I know their are individual teams in leagues that are above Champ level, but there prob isnt many full leagues better than the Champ "on average".

Spain, Germany, italy are better.

France is an interesting debate, prob similar to champ level in some areas, excluding the top teams there.

Dutch & Belgian Leagues are prob below champ level in some areas, and above in others.

Scotland is defo below champ level, excluding Celtic/Rangers, and they are prob low end PL, high end Champ.

Championship is technically ranked as the 11th best league in the world, maybe on balance, considering the "top teams" in the other leagues, but on average, they are prob between what....6th and 11th?

Anyways, yeah, my point is i agree in principle, Champ level is actually pretty high on the world stage, on balance, especially in physicality, which is a large part of the PL also.

edit: looking at another list of top leagues, the Champ is ranked 6th.

image.thumb.png.b4a0ba15539925e3e6521b0a1071d3bb.png

image.png.e7442b3dc715958be681e7eff53605ad.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

A bit unsure on this transfer, not really sure it's a player we need. But full trust in Unai and the team. I didn't think we needed to sign Moreno either and look how that turned out. 

Lot to like about this signing for me. English speaking, knows the area, knows the people at the club, closer to family (I assume). He’ll settle very quickly. I’m all for spending big on players from abroad, it’s sexy and Delphinho loves sexy, I just think there are a lot of players in the championship ready to make the step up. 

We’re all clambering to sign Eze and Olise, but like others have said, they came from the Championship. As did Watkins and Konsa. So many examples. 

Is he going to be good enough? Time will tell, but he’s going to be given every chance to be. 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Young players that Man city have bought over the last few years - 

Nahuel Bustos, yan couto, issa kabore, ryotaro meshino, Phillipe Sandler, Daniel arzani, slobodan tedic, maximo perrone, Diego rosa, ante palaversa, Ko itakura, olarenwaju kayode, luka ilic, marlos Moreno, geronimo rulli, yangel herrera, Pablo mari

Not signing players from the championship? They sign about 5 players per season from random leagues all around the world, never kick a ball for them, get sold at a profit, they've signed an insane amount of players you never hear of from a far lower level than the championship 

Chelsea do exactly the same

I think if we can keep the deal under double digits we'll be fine, if he fails here we'd still cover the money selling him to a lower end PL team after a couple of years 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

We're a top three Premier League team consisting of Watkins, Konsa, Mings and Cash. 

(All Championship players, FYI).

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

What, the former Championship players? 😂

I understand this, but they wasn't always top quality, took some coaching. Have we got the time to take on players they may or may not become good.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I understand this, but they wasn't always top quality, took some coaching. Have we got the time to take on players they may or may not become good.

Well yeah, FFP probably dictates we have to do it this way with certain signings as well.

Â