New Year 2023/24

sidcow

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Read this as a positive story:

My wife’s mum died yesterday evening. Took ill about 7:00pm, gone by 9:30pm. At home, in her 90’s, painless and quick, both her kids there, having just had an extended family Christmas all together. 

How annoying was that? She’s bloody insisted for months she wouldn’t see 2024 and she’s been proved right with about 24 hours or so remaining. Absolutely bloody typical. 

Tonight we shall toast and laugh and repeat old stories about the independent, opinionated, stubborn old bugger!

Reminds me of my mother. Always disapproved of the fact that I never remembered the dates that various relatives had died. 

She died on my birthday. I'm convinced she did it on purpose. 

• Like 2

Hoping that the rain picks up to stop the fireworks going off - purely from a selfish point of view as it's a pain in the arse getting the little'un to sleep with them going off all night (also, the cats are terrified of them).

In terms of ambitions for next year:

- Hopefully go for my black belt at some point later on in the year.

- Be ready to take Japanese Language N5/N4 level test.

- Get the little one fully potty trained.

- Do more gigs

- Villa win the Conference League and qualify for Champions League

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

World peace for the New Year.

Ahh, F*** that, Villa get CL football and finish above Arsenal would be a super 2024.

Ohh, an it all starting with a invite to @Genie house tonight to meet his neighbour 

If I was single ofcourse .

Too late mate, I'm already on my way to @Genie's with a case of babycham! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Read this as a positive story:

My wife’s mum died yesterday evening. Took ill about 7:00pm, gone by 9:30pm. At home, in her 90’s, painless and quick, both her kids there, having just had an extended family Christmas all together. 

How annoying was that? She’s bloody insisted for months she wouldn’t see 2024 and she’s been proved right with about 24 hours or so remaining. Absolutely bloody typical. 

Tonight we shall toast and laugh and repeat old stories about the independent, opinionated, stubborn old bugger!

Sorry for your loss. 

Had to have a wry smile though as she sounds just like my Nan last year. Was telling everyone she wouldn't see Christmas, even in Mid December. She died on the 22nd December aged 95. All happened very quickly. We raised a glass on Christmas Day to her!

Sounds like your MIL went on her own terms, quickly and surrounded by her loved ones. Thats all any of us can hope for. 

• Like 3

Meeting at 8 until 9.30 then home to carry on eating from the buffet and play some games with kids and wife.  Doubt I’ll make it to 12, and in all honesty don’t particularly want to either. Went cinema today to watch the new wonka film , so yeah nice chilled day. Day of sport tomorrow and few more days off yet as don’t start back until the 8th.

20 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Anyone else's mom text them early (on WhatsApp) because the networks will be busy later?

funny old times they were weren't they...you really couldn't send a text message between 11 and like 3am

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Sorry for your loss. 

Had to have a wry smile though as she sounds just like my Nan last year. Was telling everyone she wouldn't see Christmas, even in Mid December. She died on the 22nd December aged 95. All happened very quickly. We raised a glass on Christmas Day to her!

Sounds like your MIL went on her own terms, quickly and surrounded by her loved ones. Thats all any of us can hope for. 

It’s all good.

Aye, father in law also died peacefully in his sleep, unlike his passengers.

Might try that one later, I’m steaming on red wine, so there’s actually a chance I might. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Try and read a bit more. I think I’m always going to say that. 

One for another thread and another day... I don't read books anymore, been a few years, I've just started listening to books on Spotify, but my point would be I arguably probably spend more time "reading" VT and the Internet than any book at any given time in my life 

"what you reading? " is VT an actual answer? Because I spent about 4 hours a day reading other people's posts 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This year has been the worst personally since my parents died.

I would like things to be better next year, but they won't, so I'll subsist until I've had enough and do myself in.

Come on now. You’re valued on here. 

I have my failed romances on the horizon, you don’t want to miss that. Plus the imminent fall out of Genie’s threesome. That’s something we can all look forward to.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This year has been the worst personally since my parents died.

I would like things to be better next year, but they won't, so I'll subsist until I've had enough and do myself in.

One day someone WILL make a Pratchett movie worth it's salt. Don't miss it.