New Year 2023/24

sidcow

It's nearly upon us. 

It's been a momentous year for The Villa. 

What are your hopes, dreams, thoughts and predictions for 2024?

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict The Tories will lose an election next year 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I was hoping Jools Hootenanny would be worth watching this year.

It's not.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time it was worth watching. 

Just looked at this years offering and it’s a no from me! 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 3

Hope: war ends whereas is Israel Vs Hama's, and Ukraine Vs Russia; not too many fireworks tonight; Jeff Bezos and his evil empire to die in the most painful way.

Dreams: PL title and Cup(s) for Villa; then there's something I won't write just in case the wife somehow manage to read this.

Thoughts: Unai is a genius; it is for Keir starmer to lose

Predictions: AV to lose to Manure again with Anthony scoring his first hat trick in PL; pounds will be £1 to $1.4 by mid year; my dreams won't happen 

Ooh and happy New Year to everyone on VT

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 1

Usual New Year's Eve/Day for me:

NYE - Family party at our place with lots of food, games and then a bit of a dance later on.

NYD - I park myself on the sofa at 10am for my annual 12 hour movie marathon. The wife and kids will pop in occasionally throughout the day if there is a film on they want to watch.

As much as I like my job, I always hate the first day back on the 2nd.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

We’re off round to a neighbour’s house later, she’s a recently divorced single mum. Unless it somehow turns into a threesome I’m thinking it’s going to be a long night.

Football wise, if Villa make the CL it will have exceeded all my wildest expectations at rhe start of the season. It would be amazing to also play in (and win of course) the Europa Conference final.

Work wise, as usual I’ll be pondering the benefits of taking an easy promotion versus the drawbacks and then deciding to stay put as I don’t need the extra money or the stress.

Above all else, a year of health for me and my family is the dream.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We’re off round to a neighbour’s house later, she’s a recently divorced single mum. Unless it somehow turns into a threesome I’m thinking it’s going to be a long night.

DTBUTWU

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Villa - I hope they play frankfurt, get CL

Me - I've got to learn German 😔 I **** hate learning German but I can't get citizenship without it and I can't get a mortgage without citizenship 

I'm also 40 next year, giving serious consideration to knocking beer on the head... But at the same time been invited to a stag do in Munich so maybe not 😂

Wife - needs to get a job after spending 3.5 of the last 4 years on maternity leave so thatll be interesting

Girl has to get out of nappies (won't poo on the toilet) 

Boy sleep in his own bed

Tonight - put a ton of terrible food in the air fryer, drink beer and gluhwein, think more about not bothering anymore, hopefully lots of fire works, sounds like next door is having a party 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Villa - I hope they play frankfurt, get CL

Me - I've got to learn German 😔 I **** hate learning German but I can't get citizenship without it and I can't get a mortgage without citizenship 

I'm also 40 next year, giving serious consideration to knocking beer on the head... But at the same time been invited to a stag do in Munich so maybe not 😂

Wife - needs to get a job after spending 3.5 of the last 4 years on maternity leave so thatll be interesting

Girl has to get out of nappies (won't poo on the toilet) 

Boy sleep in his own bed

Tonight - put a ton of terrible food in the air fryer, drink beer and gluhwein, think more about not bothering anymore, hopefully lots of fire works, sounds like next door is having a party 

You’ve been in Germany a while haven’t you? I’d assumed you’d pick it up mostly from being there? 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

You’ve been in Germany a while haven’t you? I’d assumed you’d pick it up mostly from being there? 

He can speak it perfectly. Just talks English slowly and loudly with a slight gutteral accent. It's their fault if they don't understand. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

5 years in March, residency runs out September 2026 so have to be able to speak German by then or can't stay

Worked for a German company where everything was in English and now work for an Irish company where everything is in English and I'm one of 4 German speakers

My problem is my German is all over the shop meaning I need a proper teacher and the grammar outright makes me angry, I'm not mentally wired to learn a language 

• Sad 1

End to war, famine and disease. However. all of those could GTFO if it meant Villa could finish in the top 4 and win a cup! :D

On a personal level... just keep doing the right things and working towards exiting the rat race as quick as possible. 

• Like 3