Growing Fanbase

sidcow

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

So my daughters boyfriend (age 19) comes from a Villa family but has been a Man United fan since childhood, as per many many from his generation. 

Anyway he's now decided to ditch United and announced himself a Villa Fan. 

Putting aside if we actually want a fan like that, it's a great illustration of where we are. 

For years we've lost so many fans like that to the Sky 4 /6.  They've sucked away what would be our fans due to their "celebrity" status coupled with our poor state. 

So I think we could be at a watershed here. Stop hemorrhaging fans to celebrity clubs, because we're actually becoming one and also maybe attracting new fans elsewhere in The UK and around the world. 

We welcome all fans.  They might have been a plastic fan of Man Utd, but now they will be a real fan of their local team and stay a Villa fan for a lifetime. 

I knew a Man Utd fan who lives in Liverpool, changed allegiance in his late teens, stayed a die-hard Liverpool fan. 

I knew a Man Utd fan who lives in Leicester, changed allegiance in his late teens, stayed a die-hard Leicester fan. 

You can probably guess the dates they both changed teams.  It also always seems to happen around that age, as they mature, they don't want to be plastic fans anymore.

For me, a great start would be getting those fans that hail from the Birmingham area, but chose to be Man U, City, Liverpool or Chelsea. Having a team that captures their imagination from an early age will only stand us in good stead.

Whatever we think of the Saudi's, you won't see too many in Newcastle wearing another team's kit.

• Like 1

We have always been one sustained level of success away from being a truly big club by whatever metric you want to measure it by. If and its a huge if we can cement ourselves and achieve success for the next decade then all the little brummies who would have supported Man City  and Arsenal will support Villa. Chris Heck might be stupid but he aint that stupid. All of his data will be screaming at him saying that we should be so much bigger than we are. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bcarpet said:

Maybe we could build a new north stand so it not only looks nicer, has better facilities but also holds more seats?  

Madness. We have more than enough seats apparently (at £100 a seat).  

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

So my daughters boyfriend (age 19) comes from a Villa family but has been a Man United fan since childhood, as per many many from his generation. 

Anyway he's now decided to ditch United and announced himself a Villa Fan. 

Putting aside if we actually want a fan like that, it's a great illustration of where we are. 

For years we've lost so many fans like that to the Sky 4 /6.  They've sucked away what would be our fans due to their "celebrity" status coupled with our poor state. 

So I think we could be at a watershed here. Stop hemorrhaging fans to celebrity clubs, because we're actually becoming one and also maybe attracting new fans elsewhere in The UK and around the world. 

Make no mistake, if our trajectory continues and especially if we can cement Champions League and for a few years we WILL attract plastics. 

Imagine some dad in Stockport or somewhere devastated because his sons decided he's a Villa Fan and wants a McGinn shirt for Christmas. 

It's going to be a bumpy ride for many die hard Villa fans 😂

I love this and no disrespect to you but who cares! We the real fans know what it actually means by the goosebumps we get when our team steps out onto that pitch , many supporters of these hyped clubs majority wont feel that, when you’ve suffered for as long as we have the excitement when things go right are unmatched and theres no better feeling!. 

We dont want any fans on board that wont feel what we do and we all know that feeling somehow i dont think fans from those top clubs feel it because theyve been so bloody spoiled

UTV 💜

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

Imagine some dad in Stockport or somewhere devastated because his sons decided he's a Villa Fan and wants a McGinn shirt for Christmas

He’s probably from much further south than Stockport,probably outraged and gutted of Milton Keynes or Slough! 

10 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I love this and no disrespect to you but who cares! We the real fans know what it actually means by the goosebumps we get when our team steps out onto that pitch , many supporters of these hyped clubs majority wont feel that, when you’ve suffered for as long as we have the excitement when things go right are unmatched and theres no better feeling!. 

We dont want any fans on board that wont feel what we do and we all know that feeling somehow i dont think fans from those top clubs feel it because theyve been so bloody spoiled

UTV 💜

They’ve probably never been to Old Trafford and will. Ever come to Villa Park either. Then again neither have a few million Chinese but we’ll take their money anyway if we can find a way. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We have always been one sustained level of success away from being a truly big club by whatever metric you want to measure it by. If and its a huge if we can cement ourselves and achieve success for the next decade then all the little brummies who would have supported Man City  and Arsenal will support Villa. Chris Heck might be stupid but he isn't that stupid. All of his data will be screaming at him saying that we should be so much bigger than we are. 

I think deep down we have always known this it just sounded so stupid when you say out loud so most of us didn't.

Over the past 12 months its sounded less and less silly.....

We have a massive potential fan base that are already Villain's, any kind of success will bring them out of the woodwork.

A sustained period of success would have us right up there with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

Was a Man Utd fan till I was 18 and lost interest in watching football. A few years later, I found myself watching the Championship and guess what, I fell in love with a team called Aston Villa and I've never felt a stronger connection in my life. I've since flown to Birmingham twice (all the way from a very far country) to watch Villa.

Villa till I die!

Welcome, we all make mistakes, the important thing is to correct them and learn from them, which you clearly have ;)

• Like 1

Â