Growing Fanbase

sidcow

We will attract the more casual fan as we become more successful. Some of those will catch the ‘Villa Bug’ and become emotionally attached for the rest of their lives, some will just tell others they follow Villa and check the scores. All are welcome to interact with the club how they wish to, and we shouldn’t be quick to dismiss new fans even though it’s difficult not to feel superior to them having suffered the bad years as a lifelong Villa fan. 

If I’m honest, I’m a glory hunter. I’ve never changed my team but I first really got into football when I went to secondary school in the 92/93 season. I saw this team on the TV that wore striking colours, with a unique name, not far away from me and with a team of players that played exciting and attacking football. They weren’t the ‘best’, but they were plucky underdogs, challenging and causing upsets along the way. I got sucked in by our success back then, and it’s hard to say whether if have felt the same if we’d have been crap. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

So my daughters boyfriend (age 19) comes from a Villa family but has been a Man United fan since childhood, as per many many from his generation. 

Anyway he's now decided to ditch United and announced himself a Villa Fan. 

Putting aside if we actually want a fan like that, it's a great illustration of where we are. 

For years we've lost so many fans like that to the Sky 4 /6.  They've sucked away what would be our fans due to their "celebrity" status coupled with our poor state. 

So I think we could be at a watershed here. Stop hemorrhaging fans to celebrity clubs, because we're actually becoming one and also maybe attracting new fans elsewhere in The UK and around the world. 

Make no mistake, if our trajectory continues and especially if we can cement Champions League and for a few years we WILL attract plastics. 

Imagine some dad in Stockport or somewhere devastated because his sons decided he's a Villa Fan and wants a McGinn shirt for Christmas. 

It's going to be a bumpy ride for many die hard Villa fans 😂

He is clearly s**t scared of you.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

So my daughters boyfriend (age 19) comes from a Villa family but has been a Man United fan since childhood, as per many many from his generation. 

Praise the Lord. I think we all need to be deeply compassionate towards today's troubled youth. They're so easily led astray, after all. My big question is, did this come out of a family intervention, or did he just check himself into rehab to begin his recovery journey?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, smg said:

He is clearly s**t scared of you.

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

He’s terrified of being locked in the cushion shed. 

Let me see. A 19 Yr old, fit as a fiddle, plays a bit of rugby v a late ish middle age pot bellied  man whose knees have started to give in. 

Yes, he must be petrified............ Of snapping me in half. 

• Haha 2

I initially misread this thread title as “Growling Fanbase” and assumed it might be about the legendary , who used to attend virtually all Villa games home and away certainly in the 1990s, but into the 2000s and beyond too. Anyone else remember him? Often seen wearing a toy police helmet and with “We’ve got a Villa werewolf” written across the back of his jacket.

He once stole my sandwich on an away trip to Selhurst Park.

Anyway, I digress….

Growing fanbase?

For me there are two aspects ... there are the personal stories like the OP and then there are the financial aspects. My personal story is I was taken to Villa Park by a St John's Ambulance neighbour. My Dad did not really have a club but would have supported Arsenal, as it was the only English club he had heard of in Latvia during the 1930s. But at the moment why would we want more local support? To drive up the season ticket waiting list numbers?

Of course, the real reason is to increase worldwide TV numbers (advertising etc) and perhaps merchandise tack. It was noted that the logo looked a little Arabic. While I am not a fan, but there 400 million worldwide that may feel somehow attracted to the logo ... it's a longshot I know, but who knows?

Edited by fruitvilla

I think it's great if more people are supporting Villa.

The only hesitation I have is those performatively tribal, AFTV / Twitter troll type fans, who seem to be drawn to the most successful clubs.

But kids seeing Villa and deciding they want to support Villa, and being inspired by our players... why not?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyway he's now decided to ditch United and announced himself a Villa Fan. 

Putting aside if we actually want a fan like that, it's a great illustration of where we are. 

For years we've lost so many fans like that to the Sky 4 /6.  They've sucked away what would be our fans due to their "celebrity" status coupled with our poor state. 

So I think we could be at a watershed here. Stop hemorrhaging fans to celebrity clubs, because we're actually becoming one and also maybe attracting new fans elsewhere in The UK and around the world. 

Make no mistake, if our trajectory continues and especially if we can cement Champions League and for a few years we WILL attract plastics. 

Imagine some dad in Stockport or somewhere devastated because his sons decided he's a Villa Fan and wants a McGinn shirt for Christmas. 

It's going to be a bumpy ride for many die hard Villa fans 😂

That’ll do me because I am a Villa dad in Stockport who’s eldest is now 19 and has been a Villa fan all his life. Be nice to have another up here to celebrate with after all the crap he’s had to endure. The tide is changing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

We will attract the more casual fan as we become more successful. Some of those will catch the ‘Villa Bug’ and become emotionally attached for the rest of their lives, some will just tell others they follow Villa and check the scores. All are welcome to interact with the club how they wish to, and we shouldn’t be quick to dismiss new fans even though it’s difficult not to feel superior to them having suffered the bad years as a lifelong Villa fan. 

If I’m honest, I’m a glory hunter. I’ve never changed my team but I first really got into football when I went to secondary school in the 92/93 season. I saw this team on the TV that wore striking colours, with a unique name, not far away from me and with a team of players that played exciting and attacking football. They weren’t the ‘best’, but they were plucky underdogs, challenging and causing upsets along the way. I got sucked in by our success back then, and it’s hard to say whether if have felt the same if we’d have been crap. 

That’s enough about sporting the blues. When did you start following vile?

• Haha 2

VillaSweden are closing in on 700 members. I think we were in the 550 range last year. Quite a jump this season. We started in 2003 with the current iteration.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

I initially misread this thread title as “Growling Fanbase” and assumed it might be about the legendary , who used to attend virtually all Villa games home and away certainly in the 1990s, but into the 2000s and beyond too. Anyone else remember him? Often seen wearing a toy police helmet and with “We’ve got a Villa werewolf” written across the back of his jacket.

He once stole my sandwich on an away trip to Selhurst Park.

Anyway, I digress….

We’ve got werewolf, we’ve got a werewolf, you ain’t you ain’t

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colhint said:

I wonder if VT has membership has grown much since Emery has been here? If it has it might be an indicator.

Hopefully we’ve regained all those who left with Purslow in floods of tears and went to support the Red Scousers. 

• Confused 1

Â