Growing Fanbase

sidcow

I think in this day and age, football fanbase growth comes from two sources. 

1. Sustained success. Win some stuff, compete for a long time. Fans will get on board. You do (I think) need to make it accessible for the family and tourists that will follow this model.

2. Celebrity. You need big name players that attract a following, Grealish maybe our last big example, he gained a million more followers on social media during one international tournament. Kids these days seem to be as attracted to a footballer as they do a club. I'm sure other parents would share similar stories of requests for a Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe top on the Xmas list. 

• Like 1

If we're as good as we have ambitions to be, we'll have little kids all over the world jumping on the bandwagon. 

There's no point playing who is the better fan, just embrace anyone wearing a Villa shirt. Just be comforted in the knowledge that joy in sport is all about the contrast of the highs and lows. Those of us who were there through every one of those awful season under Lerner leading to the relegation will get so much more out of our successes. 

Of course new fans are welcome. We were all new fans at one stage.

Of course technically they will be glory hunters because they wont have followed Villa without the relative success we are having.

My story is that as i young kid my playground pals Dad had travelled to see the 1977 Cup final and when he came back he gave his son the scarf he wore telling him Villa were the "champions"

Gary then proceeded to convince me and others to support Villa and i have never let it go since then. Not sure what Gary is doing now of course.....

So I confess i am a Glory hunter!

51 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Gary then proceeded to convince me and others to support Villa and i have never let it go since then. Not sure what Gary is doing now of course.....

My friend Richard recruited me to the Villa cause, on our first day at primary school. Similarly, I have no idea where he is now - which is a pity, because I'd love to buy him a beer and thank him. 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 23:03, sidcow said:

So my daughters boyfriend (age 19) comes from a Villa family but has been a Man United fan since childhood, as per many many from his generation. 

Anyway he's now decided to ditch United and announced himself a Villa Fan. 

Putting aside if we actually want a fan like that, it's a great illustration of where we are. 

For years we've lost so many fans like that to the Sky 4 /6.  They've sucked away what would be our fans due to their "celebrity" status coupled with our poor state. 

So I think we could be at a watershed here. Stop hemorrhaging fans to celebrity clubs, because we're actually becoming one and also maybe attracting new fans elsewhere in The UK and around the world. 

Make no mistake, if our trajectory continues and especially if we can cement Champions League and for a few years we WILL attract plastics. 

Imagine some dad in Stockport or somewhere devastated because his sons decided he's a Villa Fan and wants a McGinn shirt for Christmas. 

It's going to be a bumpy ride for many die hard Villa fans 😂

Hope he didn't look at the result😂

• 4 weeks later...

Our tactic not to expand Villa Park  to allow this growing fanbase also seems a bit strange, but that's Heck's opinion. If it's the same people who go every game then newer fans on the waiting list may just give up and do something else on the weekend.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

On 20/12/2023 at 19:58, The Moustache of Teale said:

I initially misread this thread title as “Growling Fanbase” and assumed it might be about the legendary , who used to attend virtually all Villa games home and away certainly in the 1990s, but into the 2000s and beyond too. Anyone else remember him? Often seen wearing a toy police helmet and with “We’ve got a Villa werewolf” written across the back of his jacket.

He once stole my sandwich on an away trip to Selhurst Park.

Anyway, I digress….

Wasn't that Wolfie? I think he had a whole thread on the 'other' forum on H&V. Seemed a bit of a character. Haven't seen him for years.

On 19/12/2023 at 23:03, sidcow said:

So my daughters boyfriend (age 19) comes from a Villa family but has been a Man United fan since childhood, as per many many from his generation. 

Anyway he's now decided to ditch United and announced himself a Villa Fan. 

Putting aside if we actually want a fan like that, it's a great illustration of where we are. 

For years we've lost so many fans like that to the Sky 4 /6.  They've sucked away what would be our fans due to their "celebrity" status coupled with our poor state. 

So I think we could be at a watershed here. Stop hemorrhaging fans to celebrity clubs, because we're actually becoming one and also maybe attracting new fans elsewhere in The UK and around the world. 

Make no mistake, if our trajectory continues and especially if we can cement Champions League and for a few years we WILL attract plastics. 

Imagine some dad in Stockport or somewhere devastated because his sons decided he's a Villa Fan and wants a McGinn shirt for Christmas. 

It's going to be a bumpy ride for many die hard Villa fans 😂

That is the reason, we have lost them..... we was the architect of our own demise.

Poor decisions, and poor decision making, got us to where we were.....its no good blaming others for our own mistakes.

Winning them back, takes a concerted effort, we are on the right lines, but it takes time, and sustained ambition and drive.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Our tactic not to expand Villa Park  to allow this growing fanbase also seems a bit strange, but that's Heck's opinion. If it's the same people who go every game then newer fans on the waiting list may just give up and do something else on the weekend.

Yes, when the hoards come over from China and Africa and The Far East to follow their new passion they've going to feel extremely let down and they're not going to be here spending oodles in the club shop. 

Of course I'm assuming they haven't shoved some of us oinks aside to makeway by then. 

On 20/12/2023 at 09:39, StanBalaban said:

For me, a great start would be getting those fans that hail from the Birmingham area, but chose to be Man U, City, Liverpool or Chelsea. Having a team that captures their imagination from an early age will only stand us in good stead.

Whatever we think of the Saudi's, you won't see too many in Newcastle wearing another team's kit.

I guess, being the only team in the city, helps.

However, Richard from The Villa Park podcast, lives in Newcastle.

Edited by TRO

56 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, when the hoards come over from China and Africa and The Far East to follow their new passion they've going to feel extremely let down and they're not going to be here spending oodles in the club shop. 

Of course I'm assuming they haven't shoved some of us oinks aside to makeway by then. 

was it a typo, did you mean "noodles"?

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is the reason, we have lost them..... we was the architect of our own demise.

Poor decisions, and poor decision making, got us to where we were.....its no good blaming others for our own mistakes.

Winning them back, takes a concerted effort, we are on the right lines, but it takes time, and sustained ambition and effort.

I agree but the timing of many of those bad decisions made them worse as did the timing of the convequences of those decisions too. In particular our falling out of the PL when we did. As I’m sure you agree we’re finally heading in the though we’re heading  in the right direction now, at last and showing signs of building for a successful and sustainable future. UTV! 

• Like 1

Personally I became a Villa fan in 2008. Friend & I decided that we wanted to spend some time abroad together, live a bit bohemian and just muck about for a year. We agreed on England but didn't want to move to London for various reasons and ended up in Birmingham (loved it!). I didn't really support a team in England at that point in time, but figured that I'd like to follow more English football so started casually following Aston Villa. Quickly fell in love with the team and have been a die hard ever since. I'm really happy to have been to a couple of home games at Villa Park as well, wonderful experiences.

If I wanted to experience more wins and good times I suppose I picked the wrong team, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Being a Villa fan I've felt the joys of great highs and pain of great lows. The blazing seasons with MON at the helm seeing prime Gabby, Young, Milner, Barry, Carew et al narrowly losing to Man Utd to get silverware. The mediocrity of the years under Lambert. 15/16 lets pretend we scored a goal ugh. Championship era, damn that was a ride! Surviving on the last day, thundering up the table etc. What more can you ask for as a football fan really? It's been an emotional smörgårdsbord and I love it.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 4

On 22/12/2023 at 08:54, DaveAV1 said:

That’s a truly uplifting story, welcome to the family mate. I lived most of my life in north Birmingham and was chosen when I was quite young. For a long time I played golf then at the age of 45 I met the woman who would become my wife and 4 years later I accomplished my greatest achievement and pursuaded her to marry me then a couple of years after that we became parents to a wonderful little girl who is now 9 and very excited about the increasingly imminent arrival of Santa. In August 2017 we moved up to The Highlands where my wife was born and raised. I’ve been made to feel very welcome by our neighbours as I’ve always been by my great in-laws so I made the ultimate sacrifice and moved 460 miles away from The Holte End and had to give up my season ticket on practical grounds. Ironically the last game I went to was in February last year which was the last time we lost at home, a very unlucky defeat to Arsenal, who I’d love to beat to the title this year! I think I’ll probably remain a Brummy Highlander until I’m a HEITS but distance can’t ever take away my first love. I’ve just remembered why I mentioned golf. It was to show that people can change I loved golf and still enjoy it on TV but a couple of years ago I discovered fly fishing which has become a big thing in my life now. My daughter is of the opinion that I use the F word too much, which in her opinion is either football or fishing, hands up it’s true but we disagree on her definition of too much! The fishing season for trout, which I try to catch, and indeed also salmon is closed until March  but fishing the stocked lochs for trout is still permitted so I can still get my fix, although cold weather isn’t ideal as the fish aren’t eating a lot so they aren’t tempted by anything much that I present to them as a fly, which can be a challenge at anytime of year anywsy. A good friend of mine who, as a qualified casting and fishing instructor,was good enough to teach me to cast a fly line and could now be accurately described as my fishing mentor! His son and my daughter are in the same class at school and he gave up a lot of Sunday mornings teaching me to cast on the school playing field, without the distraction of trying to catch a fish, so I regard my self very lucky.  Which in many ways is a running theme in my life, with our football team playing a major role for almost all of it and will continue to do so. UTV!!! and tight lines. As I’m delighted to hear that Dougie Luiz would say too!

My Great Grandfather started it with all his son,  my Grandad continued the same, my Dad did the same and I have done the same with my two lads (my sister is mad Villa but a lesbian so that part of the line stops with her as no intention of adopting) 

If following the Villa was akin to vampirism we would be pure bloods 

Pressure off me now and passed down to the boys, they know what they must do when the time arises 

I will obviously assist, McGrath willing

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

Â