bannedfromHandV

The most nervous I’ve been for a game all season. 3rd in the league best home side vs bottom of the league worst away side for a chance to go top of the league, it screams Villa **** up :lol:

No reason to think that in the Emery era but too many times we’ve done things like this. Early goal would be huge. 

UTV. 

• Like 4

We are going to have all the ball and they are going to sit in a low block all game.

We need to get as many attacking players on the pitch as possible from the start to try to get that first half goal. 

Start both Bailey and Diaby and give Diaby a freer role than normal.

Bailey to provide the width and Cash to be told to play as a midfielder in possession and bomb on an overlap Bailey as much as possible. Digne to do the same on the left. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I just can't see him starting both Bailey and Diaby - maybe Zaniolo, but of late he's gone with four of the hard working midfielders and then one creative off Watkins.

We've only started both in two games, the 4-0 win at home over Everton and the 5-1 defeat to Newcastle on the opening day.

Think you’re probably right but for a team that are bottom of the league at fortress Villa Park I would like to think Unai is brave enough to play both, particularly as Cash is so ineffective as a right midfielder against low blocks. If only one of Diaby or Bailey then surely worth giving Zaniolo a go over Cash as the Italian has looked better in the last couple of games 

Edited by Leeroy

Buzzing for the game but nervous as hell too, as already been mentioned this has classic Villa F*ck up written all over it , how often do you see records come to a halt against the least expected sides but this is a different Villa now , this is Emery’s new improved , mentally strong Villa side who will be sitting proudly at the top of the league come full time.,Merry Christmas lads & Up the Villa !

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

They won't write anything off, if anything this is more of a free hit for them. There is no expectation on that at all to halt our run, so they could be very dangerous. If we score early I'll relax, but it could be a very tense evening if we don't. Need to score in the first 20,25 minutes ideally.

Agreed, I guess they may accept defeat if we score early instead of running themselves into the ground chasing a probable lost cause

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

The most nervous I’ve been for a game all season. 3rd in the league best home side vs bottom of the league worst away side for a chance to go top of the league, it screams Villa **** up :lol:

Not been this nervous since the last half against Brighton last season, or just before last playoff final. 

• Like 1

So.

Do we do an Emery Villa, and see this game out with plomp, taking our home unbeaten run to 16, and going top of the table for a day.

or.

Do we do a pre-Emery Villa, and lose our club record home winning run, to the bottom of the table Sheffield United.

Answers on a postcard.

Relax people. Despite the suspension and injuries we can still put out 9 of arguably our best starting 11 with Duran Diaby Digne Dendocker and Cash on the bench. 

The fear of it being a slog is justified but also we will play at a far higher tempo than the Euro games i reckon. Lenglet is a good player and better on the ball than maybe i give him credit for. 

We got this.....our players will be desperate to keep this home run going and be top this evening. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

We are going to have all the ball and they are going to sit in a low block all game.

We need to get as many attacking players on the pitch as possible from the start to try to get that first half goal. 

Start both Bailey and Diaby and give Diaby a freer role than normal.

Bailey to provide the width and Cash to be told to play as a midfielder in possession and bomb on an overlap Bailey as much as possible. Digne to do the same on the left. 

They give up about 17 shots a game on average.  And our finishing is far more clinical than the average this season. 

Emery will have been watching the last 10 seasons of Wilder games and will have a plan. 

Got this off the S24SU forum posted by someone called Revolution (could not copy entire post) did not realize their record was so bad at VP

United last won at Villa in the League in 1966, and we are winless in the 14 games played since. This is our current longest league game winless run against any team. We did of course win there in the FA Cup 10 seasons ago.

In addition:

We lost 16 straight league games at Villa between 1902-3 and 1921-22.

We won there in 1922-3, drew the next 3…and then lost the next 10.

Our record at Villa Park is wretched, and it ain’t improving on Friday.

7 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

They give up about 17 shots a game on average

Under Wilder it’s dropping, we will see if he’s managed to tighten them up further.