bannedfromHandV

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

What bigger incentive can the players have than the thought of being top of the league for 24 hours at least, but hopefully on Christmas Day as well? Massive, massive game and possibly achieving over 40 points before the end of the year is ridiculous.  So I think we have a real opportunity here to lay a marker to the rest and create a nice cushion of points going into the United game and new year.

Injuries and a silly suspension are going to leave us light and set plays (against) could be significant, that’s why I’d go with Konsa, Carlos and Lenglet. We need to defend well. 

Martinez

Konsa      Carlos       Lenglet       Digne

McGinn       Luiz              

Bailey                             Ramsey 

Diaby        Watkins            

Subs:  Marschall, Olsen, Cash, Moreno, Chambers, Dendoncker, Zaniolo, O’Reilly, Duran 

If we can score early, I’m going with a controlled 3-0 win.  UTV

Good team that, well it must be cos it's same as mine 😉 

God, I feel nervous ! Come on you Villa boys ! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Good team that, well it must be cos it's same as mine 😉 

God, I feel nervous ! Come on you Villa boys ! 

👍  Honestly think it’s more than enough to beat these. Early goal would settle everyone down. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm far more worried about Kamara being out than Pau. Think Lenglet is a pretty decent backup to Pau. 

Kamara is important to us tactically, but there are going to be times this season where we have to deal with injury and suspension and I guess if Kamara is going to be missing then at least two of the three games will be ones where we should be dominating possession.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Adman said:

Sheff utd have a massive game at home to Luton on Boxing Day.  Any chance they focus on being 100% up for that and write this one off..?

They won't write anything off, if anything this is more of a free hit for them. There is no expectation on that at all to halt our run, so they could be very dangerous. If we score early I'll relax, but it could be a very tense evening if we don't. Need to score in the first 20,25 minutes ideally.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Lenglet start about 30 games for Spurs last season?

Not sure why everyone is panicking so much. 

24 starts, 2000+ minutes in the Premier League.  Played in all their Champions League fixtures too.   He was getting 2000+ minutes in La Liga for Barcelona and playing in all their Champions League games except for 2021/22 when he was in an out of the team.  He played at Euro 2020 (in 2021) too so the guy is hardly a donkey, the main concern is just his lack of football at Villa could mean he's a bit rusty.  He looked OK from what I saw of him in the Conference League and I'm sure Sheffield United would kill to have a guy like him on their bench. 

23 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

👍  Honestly think it’s more than enough to beat these. Early goal would settle everyone down. 

Crowd will be up for this one from the start and it's important to get the players pushing for an early break through. If it doesn't happen then the crowd will hopefully drag us over the line anyway. The 12th man is very important on nights like tonight. 

Can't bring myself to predict this one, Been a long time since I heard......"we are top of the league, say we are the top" ringing out of a fully standing Holte end

• Like 1

Just now, Honest bunch of lads said:

Even thought Moreno did well against Brentford I think that Digne should start tonight.

I agree, with Pau and Kamara out, I think Digne gives us a more solid base to start, but I can see Moreno getting 30 minutes or so, hopefully that's just to freshen things up and not cos we're chasing a goal. 

Starting the count down. Telford to cannock, see daughter and grand kids. Then to son and grandkids.  Off to match about 6pm. Arrive back cannock, drop off lad and then  in Telford around midnight, hopefully.  

I remember the hype over 40 years ago. A night match against Borough if we won we won the league. Flat game O.0 draw, had to go to Arsenal and do it

Really expecting to be top of the league tonight.