Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?

Villaphan04

Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?   

188 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?

• FA Cup
    • CL Qualification
    • Conference League

This poll is closed to new votes

I would previously have said to win a cup, but some have made valid arguments for top 4 and Champions League qualification. Hopefully if we can cement a place a the top table then our chances of winning a trophy will improve as we can bring in better players, nothing is guaranteed though, just look at Spurs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Trophy and not a second's hesitation.

Spurs made the CL a number of times, have had some of the World's finest players in their squad... for what? 

Spurs were also rans through the mod 90s and early 00s.

They most certainly have not been also rans over the past 15 years or so.

We used to be ahead of them most of the pre 2010 period.

6 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Spurs were also rans through the mod 90s and early 00s.

They most certainly have not been also rans over the past 15 years or so.

We used to be ahead of them most of the pre 2010 period.

That's entirely my point though. For what? In 10 years what are their memories from the 2010s? Losing a final? Beating Arsenal a few times? None of that compares to an actual trophy.

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

People saying we need champions league as if they haven't been watching football recently. Chelsea spend a billion pounds with no champions league revenue. Leicester win the league and still have money problems and end up relegated after a little go in the champions league. Portsmouth, Bolton, Blackburn examples of EUFA cup to bust. Everton most recent example I think other than Leicester or Newcastle in champions league. It's almost impossible to break in, noone does anything groundbreaking when they do and in order to try maintain that it usually ruins a club. 

We can be better than that. It might not turn out that way. But if you're saying top 4 cos it means we'll continue to grow then I'm afraid there's no evidence of that in the past and a lot of evidence of the opposite. Unless you count Man City but they've broken rules so many times they gave up counting and they are owned by a country. 

I think a problem we’re going to face is keeping a hold of players if we aren’t in the champions league though.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I respect that. But neither view is actually nonsense. 

Can you think of a player we'd only be able to get with champs league football, that wouldn't come to us with only europa league?

The likes of Kamara, Torres and Diaby, that were all signed without either tells me we have a lot of pull. I'm not sure there's many beyond their levels we're attracting (or affording) with or without champs league.

A maybe more valid concern is Luiz or Martinez potentially wanting to prove themselves in the Champs league.

Your final paragraph answers the bold paragraph as one reason of a number of reasons.  What I mean is quality players at clubs around us that don’t make CL may favour moving to us because we have CL but wouldn’t consider us if we were in EL or ECL.  

Or if a player in the summer has a choice between CL Villa or EL Spurs? Compared to EL Villa based in Birmingham or EL Spurs based in London…

Or a player playing abroad for a CL club is less likely to move to us not in the CL…

There are more reasons but you get my point.  I respect your opinion though I don’t quite agree.

Champions league is just too important to our clubs development. So champions league. 

But I also believe the FA Cup is a bit of a monkey on our back. Ever since trophy was stolen in the 50s we haven't won it. I feel like winning the FA Cup would usher in a new period of success for Aston Villa.

The ECL however is the trophy I feel we have the best chance of winning as almost all of the side in it are team we 'should' be able to beat. 

Can I be greedy and say all 3?!?!

FA Cup without question. It has been devalued in recent years but it is the one English cup that fans can attend, follow and enjoy in their masses. There is no hiding the fact that the European Conference is a poxy competition and CL qualification isn’t winning anything.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Would've gone FA Cup because it's the most romantic option...

...but went for Europa Conference. a] We win a trophy! b] That trophy then guarantees playing in Europe again next season, at a higher level.

Obviously we could "just" qualify for Europe via league position, but we don't win anything that way.

CL qualification over a trophy is bonkers modern day football tripe.

• Like 1

Cup no question, and FA Cup because it's been far too long. Obviously I'd be delighted with any of these happening this season. But I'm on the side of winning a competition and lifting a trophy, about those memorable moments, rather than qualifying to have a creditable trip against a higher calibre of european opponents. The CL doesn't interest me too much as most of the clubs have dickwit owners, and unless a game jumps out at me I have no interest in following it, I will do when Villa are in it, but until that I don't care. But I do follow the FA Cup more closely, I am interested in how other teams get on, - ish anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

where did leicester get in the champions league. Can anyone remember. Does anyone care? They got relegated two years later. But the trophies are still there.

Are we now similar in stature to Leicester as a club? This thread is absolutely mental.