Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?

Villaphan04

Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?   

188 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?

• FA Cup
    • CL Qualification
    • Conference League

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Conference League it’s global recognition and a platform to build on for consistent European success. 

I agree with the sentiment, although looks like it's the minority view. 

It's may not be global, but it is a level of recognition that, with Emery at the helm, and Europa League next year,  puts us in a great place to capitalise on the players that we can realistically sign.

We're not signing the top tier even if we get champions league. But someone looking for the last step before the top table will be fine coming to us whether were in Europa League or Champions league. Anyone that comes to us if we're in the champions league, comes to us if we're in the Europa League imo. The player that don't come to us in the europa, wouldn't come to us if we were also-rans in the champs league.

We then capitalise on that, build on it,  and get champions league the following year and it aligns perfectly for a lot of our team's peak years.

We wouldn't win the champions league next year, so I'd rather us win something this season, than get into a competition we Won't win next year. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

It’s a very poorly worded question. It should be:

Would you rather win one trophy and then watch your best players and potentially even your manager leave for the biggest clubs in Europe and maybe wait another 15/20 years for a trophy or would you rather trade that for the opportunity to keep all of your players and manager with the ability to add even better players in the summer and hopefully then win numerous trophies over the next 5 years?

And if you still select winning a cup you need to go and see a doctor. 

Exactly!

Mental to me how some can't balance this logic/reality!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Conference League- Best chance to win a trophy, makes more money and is more achievable than FA Cup. Will get us into the Europa.

Champions League- For the money, not the glory. I understand the gravy train argument but I would just want to see us win a trophy again first.

FA Cup- Battered and bruised, this competition is a shadow of it's former self. I would just be pleased to get past the 3rd Round this year.

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

We're not signing the top tier even if we get champions league. But someone looking for the last step before the top table will be fine coming to us whether were in Europa League or Champions league. Anyone that comes to us if we're in the champions league, comes to us if we're in the Europa League imo. The player that don't come to us in the europa, wouldn't come to us if we were also-rans in the champs league.

This is nonsense. If we're in the CL a higher calibre of player will be willing to come here compared to if we're in a lower level European competition

If we're in the CL we get more income, we can invest in the team to a higher level, if we sustain that over a few seasons the calibre of players willing to come will be higher still.

One thing is for sure, if we don't qualify for the CL we will remain at our current level. To be ambitious as a club we have to target CL qualification

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well not really, because of what I said before the bit you quoted.

I was two years old when we last won the FA Cup. I’ve felt the pain of every one of those 66 years. It’s the one trophy that still clings to the romance of what the game used to be all about. I’ll take it above any manufactured money driven so called champions league.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I was two years old when we last won the FA Cup. I’ve felt the pain of every one of those 66 years. It’s the one trophy that still clings to the romance of what the game used to be all about. I’ll take it above any manufactured money driven so called champions league.

You’re talking about your memory of what the FA cup used to be as opposed to what it really is today. Unfortunately romance in football is dead.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is nonsense. If we're in the CL a higher calibre of player will be willing to come here compared to if we're in a lower level European competition

If we're in the CL we get more income, we can invest in the team to a higher level, if we sustain that over a few seasons the calibre of players willing to come will be higher still.

One thing is for sure, if we don't qualify for the CL we will remain at our current level. To be ambitious as a club we have to target CL qualification

This is nonsense (anyone can do that)

The players that only want a Champions league team won't come to us. Those players really only want a team that's going to stand a chance of winning it. There's about 5 or 6 clubs they'd consider.

Everyone else will consider the next level of clubs down, and that includes a team that stands a good chance of winning the Europa League (Emery specialty) as much as it does a team that's going to get knocked out of the champions league at the group stage. Did Newcastle sign anyone they couldn't have if they'd been in the Europa league this season?

Financially there would be an immediate benefit to being in the Champs league of course, but I feel we'd establish ourselves as a top 4 team either way as long as we carry on as we are. Plus if we do so by winning something en route I'd be a happier fan.

Edited by MrBlack

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

You’re talking about your memory of what the FA cup used to be as opposed to what it really is today. Unfortunately romance in football is dead.

Yeah kind of my feeling too. 

The last FA Cup final of relevance was the 1991 one between Forest and Spurs. Slow decline since, with the rise of the Premier and Champions League.

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Go to any FA Cup round involving a  non league club. It ain’t dead, some people would like it to die, but as long as a David can kill a Goliath, it will survive. There’s no other cup like it. 

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This is nonsense (anyone can do that)

The players that only want a Champions league team won't come to us. Those players really only want a team that's going to stand a chance of winning it. There's about 5 or 6 clubs they'd consider.

Everyone else will consider the next level of clubs down, and that includes a team that stands a good chance of winning the Europa League (Emery specialty) as much as it does a team that's going to get knocked out of the champions league at the group stage. Did Newcastle sign anyone they couldn't have if they'd been in the Europa league this season?

Financially there would be an immediate benefit to being in the Champs league of course, but I feel we'd establish ourselves as a top 4 team either way as long as we carry on as we are. Plus if we do so by winning something en route I'd be a happier fan.

I’m with Bickster on this one

• Like 1

Qualify for the Champions League every single time and I honestly don’t understand anyone who’d answer differently. I get we haven’t won a trophy for ages, haven’t won the FA cup for nearly 70 years, and I want us to win a trophy. But making Champions League from a revenue perspective is much better, you can also attract the best players and who wouldn’t want to see us test ourselves against the Reals, Barcelonas and Bayerns of this world? I know we can look down on Spurs but they haven’t won a trophy in ages and are still regarded as a big 6 club much to our envy. Why? Because they’ve made Champions League at least half a dozen times, and played in Europe every season since 2009 except this one which is why their coefficient is so high.

But it’s all about consistency. It’s no good finishing top 4 for one season then never again. I’ve never seen us be consistently good for more than 2-3 seasons in a row in my lifetime. We need to aim for the next 5-10 years to be in and around the top 6 every season and finishing in the champions League places more than once. If we can do that I’m sure we’ll win at least one trophy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m with Bickster on this one

I respect that. But neither view is actually nonsense. 

Can you think of a player we'd only be able to get with champs league football, that wouldn't come to us with only europa league?

The likes of Kamara, Torres and Diaby, that were all signed without either tells me we have a lot of pull. I'm not sure there's many beyond their levels we're attracting (or affording) with or without champs league.

A maybe more valid concern is Luiz or Martinez potentially wanting to prove themselves in the Champs league.

38 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

In response to Sam above:

My point is we won two trophies in the 90s. For me, personally,  seeing us play in the Top Club competition would be a remarkable achievement.  It would mean we were a top four club in the league for a start and would be serious novelty to see CL games and hear CL music at Villa Park. It would be amazing, even if just for one season! We would be visible in a whole new sphere 

Look we almost won a League Cup in 2020 and got to an FA Cup final in 2015. Had we won either of those I would still consider the 2010s, overall to be a crap decade , as we were always fighting relegation/chasing promotion 

Does this make sense?

It makes perfect sense and I'm on the fence myself. 

I only take issue with the absolutism and refusal to accept other's opinions as valid from some. 

• Like 1