Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?

Villaphan04

Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?   

188 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?

• FA Cup
    • CL Qualification
    • Conference League

This poll is closed to new votes

You seem to be under the misunderstanding I wouldn't be happy with CL? I would. I'm just not obssessed with the bottom line, get as rich and as powerful as quickly as possible even if we win **** all in the process. 

Everything is transient, nothing lasts forever, even if we spent a few years in the CL,  that'll go, teams wax and wane unless they're bankrolled by a state. And you find it mental to take a cup win? There's more to life than money, just for the spreadsheet afficianado's among you

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The desperation and short sightedness to lift any silverware at any cost is palpable. I’ve no doubt that Emery will continue to educate us all as he has done so over the last 12 months. 

Any cost? Sorry what does that mean?

I don't think waiting 28 years and counting to see us lift something as short sightedness, more like extreme long sightedness.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

You seem to be under the misunderstanding I wouldn't be happy with CL? I would. I'm just not obssessed with the bottom line, get as rich and as powerful as quickly as possible even if we win **** all in the process. 

Everything is transient, nothing lasts forever, even if we spent a few years in the CL,  that'll go, teams wax and wane unless they're bankrolled by a state. And you find it mental to take a cup win? There's more to life than money, just for the spreadsheet afficianado's among you

Agreed. I was 6 when webeat Man U and 8 when we beat Leeds. It saddens me that i more or less don't reremember '94 and barely remember '96. I want new memories that will last with me.

• Like 1

If Emery makes champions league he could build a team that could win the league. That’s how good he is. He speaks about his dream being to compete in and win the champions league.

And we’re sat here thinking of potentially throwing all of that away for a single conference league or a FA Cup. Fortunately our manager and owners appear to be more ambitious than some of us. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The desperation and short sightedness to lift any silverware at any cost is palpable. I’ve no doubt that Emery will continue to educate us all as he has done so over the last 12 months. 

What do we play football for again?

As Villa supporters we should know better than anyone that times like these can be fleeting. Champions League football would be absolutely wonderful and we might get there, but it isn't automatically a golden goose that ensures sustained success. There are plenty of clubs who got there and couldn't sustain it. Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, Tottenham, Leicester. We sacrificed cup runs under Martin O'Neill to focus on the league and it got us nothing.

What are people going to remember in 30 years, away trips against Atletico Madrid and Lazio, or John McGinn lifting the FA cup?

• Like 2

I voted conference league - I understand the argument of the prestige and financial benefit from the champions league, but if we qualified there's no guarantee it won't be a one off to which the long term benefits aren't that significant. 15 years ago when we were pushing for top 4 in the MoN era CL qualification would have been a game changer as it was a completely closed shop back then and there was a bigger gulf in finances which still exists to some degree but not as badly.

Considering the club hasn't won anything for over 25 years a trophy would completely shift the mentality of the club and the fan base IMO. Out of either FA Cup or Europa Conference either is good but I think European success just has a bit of a different sense of authority about it, you've got to be good enough to qualify for a start, good enough to be able to juggle competition on multiple fronts, and then good enough to beat other good European sides. I'd also guess that from an international perspective winning in Europe is better than winning in domestic cups which helps the club grow and get better transfer targets

The owners and Emery are not here to bust their nut in desperation for a single cup. 
Reality is that we’re all emotionally scarred after so long without success but we have to dare to dream that there is a bigger prize out there. And the main reason is because I’m convinced that our manager wants to win it all and he won’t stop until he does.

10 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

As Villa supporters we should know better than anyone that times like these can be fleeting. Champions League football would be absolutely wonderful and we might get there, but it isn't automatically a golden goose that ensures sustained success. There are plenty of clubs who got there and couldn't sustain it. Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, Tottenham, Leicester. We sacrificed cup runs under Martin O'Neill to focus on the league and it got us nothing.

What are people going to remember in 30 years, away trips against Atletico Madrid and Lazio, or John McGinn lifting the FA cup?

You can put me down for a picture of SJM with the FA Cup anytime you like But any achievements don’t have to be mutually exclusive. A few additional trophies in the trophy cabinet and the financial gain of qualifying for the CL will do nicely thanks Unai. Playing in the CL will only be good if we are competitive and progress to the latter stages, then SJM can have this picture taken again and stick it next to the one of him with the FA Cup! We will be able to afford a new trophy cabinet if the old one is too small. 

• Like 1

Some seem to think that a champions league campaign wouldn't be memorable?

FFs, after the two cup wins in the 90s my next best memories are Inter Milan and A Madrid. Games against those teams under the lights at VP are memorable and it would be memorable as something we hadn't done in 40 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Fortunately I’m 100 percent sure that if Unai was forced into making this decision he’d choose the Champions League. 

Seems some people are annoyed or " confused " by the view, when it's plain logic, without sentiment. Sentiment doesn't keep your club afloat , keep your best players and help you get better.

I wonder if Wigan and Portsmouth ( F A Cup Winners ) would still choose the Cup, and their current statuses over Champions League qualification.

" Hey all our best players have left, we needed to meet FFP and we are now battling for mid table but hey... We had a great run and we have a trophy "

Obviously you would ideally want all three, but if there is only ONE choice it's a no brainer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

It’s not a loaded question if it’s an accurate representation of what’s going to happen if we don’t make champions league. 

Yes it is haha. 

40 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

IMG_5986.jpeg

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Seems some people are annoyed or " confused " by the view, when it's plain logic, without sentiment. Sentiment doesn't keep your club afloat , keep your best players and help you get better.

I wonder if Wigan and Portsmouth ( F A Cup Winners ) would still choose the Cup, and their current statuses over Champions League qualification.

" Hey all our best players have left, we needed to meet FFP and we are now battling for mid table but hey... We had a great run and we have a trophy "

Obviously you would ideally want all three, but if there is only ONE choice it's a no brainer.

I went to uni with someone from Pompey… This was in 2016/2017 when they had already had a tumble down the leagues…

I asked him at the time if he would exchange their FA cup for Premier League survival…

He was very very very happy with the memories of winning the FA cup and wouldn’t change it for anything…

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Yes it is haha. 

One of the main reasons why the country is in such a mess is because we gave people the option of making a decision without articulating the true benefits and costs of those decisions.

It’s not a loaded question. It’s a very clear articulation of the actual choice in front of you.