• Durán
    • Bailey (McGinn 70)
    • Ramsey (Tielemans 70)
    • Zaniolo (Diaby 78)
    • Digne (Moreno 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/12/23 at 23:59

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

How come we don’t top the group now? One win each in the head to head, 3-2 to them and 2-1 to us, and we have better goal difference? If it’s head to head shouldn’t it be us on away goals? Must have missed the rule somewhere so please tell me!

The away goals doesn't apply to the head-to-head record.  It only applies if our goal difference and goals scored are exactly the same.  And at that point we would win because we've scored more away goals than Legia (and that can't change).

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Oh blimey! This is complicated and legalistic.

Do you think the final decision is made by the European Court of Justice??? 😵

Nah - Criteria 7 trumps the ECJ according to the rules - so we should be OK!

27 minutes ago, allani said:

Article 16 Equality of points – group stage

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;

2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;

3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;

4. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to k) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal;

5. superior goal difference in all group matches;

6. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;

7. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;

8. higher number of wins in all group matches;

9. higher number of away wins in all group matches;

10. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received by players and team officials in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

11. higher club coefficient (see Annex D)

So 1 - 3 are now irrelevant. 

If we lose our last match and Legia win then 4a becomes equal (some point from the other 4 fixtures). 

So it then comes down to goal difference in the other 4 matches (ours is currently +5 and Legia are +2).  We have scored 7 in the 3 games so far and Legia have scored 4 in their 3 matches.  So if we lose 1-0 we'd be +4 (7 goals) so if Legia win 2-0 they would be +4 (6 goals) so we would still go through by having scored 1 more goal according to 4c.  If Legia won 3-0 then they'd win on goal difference (4b) and if they win by 2 but score at least 4 goals then they win on goals scored (4c).

If Legia win 3-1 (and we lose 1-0) then I think we get to rule 7 - we've scored 6 away goals so far from 2 matches and Legia have scored 3 from 3 - so we would then qualify top. 

I don't think that 8 or 9 can happen (we'd have won the same number of matches and both won 1 game away from home). 

And I have no idea what the current position is on disciplinary points but it is irrelevant anyway because the teams cannot get past Criteria 7 under any circumstance and we're ahead on that measure and Legia have already played 3 away matches and so can't change that.

So can we loan another player and Januzaj at the same time?

• Haha 1

I thought Cash had a great game today. Made some telling tackles, kept possession really well and got in behind them quite a bit. And didn't murder anyone, so that was also a plus.

Duran was also fantastic in the second half. Certainly didn't play like a sulky prima donna who hasn't bought into what Emery is preaching. Got bodied by their defenders qute a bit but responded with maturity and focus.

• Like 2

Just got back, mostly cold and cold... didn't see or hear about any of the tomfoolery until i asked the chap behind me where the away fans were..

Not a great game, Bailey was unlucky. Better 2nd half.

First time in Upper Holte this season with my lad, Jesus the facilities are shite, its had a lick of paint though

I am delighted to say my pre Match concerns about Olsen were misplaced.  Played really well and I owe an online apology to him.

The fact we weren't our fluid best in the first half is no real surprise though. Lots of changes always has that effect on us. 

Great to get a win despite that. But for a useless ref that never played advantage for us, booked us for nothing challenges, and generally let them get away with murder, we probably would have got the 3 we needed. 

Should be able to get a draw with even more rotation against mostar, but I'd probably only rest Luiz beyond what we started tonight. Good position to be in! Emery continues to work his magic. Love the man

• Like 1

Got the job done but it was a very strange atmosphere without the away fans in the ground. Pleased for Moreno to get the winner and play most of the game. First half was average,  better in the second which seems to be a bit of a repeat process at the moment. A third would have been nice but I wouldn't be surprised to see Warsaw drop a point or more in their last game- could it be behind closed doors? Total moronic behaviour on Witton Lane, I left fairly sharpish before the final whistle but seemed fine down Trinity Road.

7 hours ago, R.Bear said:

The lack of urgency in the final 10 minutes was infuriating. We could have sent the kids out in Bosnia had we got a 3rd. Now we have to make sure we get a point.

Emery doesn't want to send kids out. Had we won by two, it would have been Lenglet, Carlos, Duran and Olsen etc, with the important players getting half an hour to act as a training session against Mostar.

Even "only" winning by one, I suspect it will still be the team above.

Good win yesterday. Happy to be through but also ridiculously disappointed that we couldn't score another goal so the last game wouldn't mean anything. 

Most things have already been said, but I like to highlight one moment that made me smile. It was the face of Lucas Digne when Alex Moreno were subbed. He looked genuinely happy for him. That's his toughest competition for a starting place and he was only happy that he'd played well and scored a goal and got standing ovations from the fans. I think that says a lot about the atmosphere in the squad and it's a good thing.

• Like 4

Â