• Durán
    • Bailey (McGinn 70)
    • Ramsey (Tielemans 70)
    • Zaniolo (Diaby 78)
    • Digne (Moreno 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/12/23 at 23:59

Moreno became the 7th new scorer for Villa this season. That puts this season 12th all-time for new scorers. It seems reasonable that at some point Zaniolo will get off the mark and maybe Kellyman too.

• Like 2

Fans booing the decision to close off the smoking area at half time tickled me - a quick cigarette or a flare to the face guys, your call.

First half was slow and sloppy, second was less slow and less sloppy. I think we seemed more confident as the game went on that we were better than them and were trying to win and conserve energy as much as possible. Konsa was very, very good (again) - one or two Beckenbauer-esq dribbles out, good passing and generally untroubled. Job done, shame we didn't get the 3rd to wrap the group up.

Odd atmosphere with no away fans, especially when they equalised. Might have contributed to their players not looking like they were intent on venturing into our half much once we scored the 2nd - they made 5 subs and didn't once change tactics/shape other than to continue rolling around on the floor and scything Villa players down at every opportunity.

I really hope AZ turn them over in Warsaw - mainly as off the pitch their fans and club seem like a group of morons (I'd also rather no other club/city has to "welcome" them in a knockout tie), but sporting-wise they'll get through this group based on us not turning up in the away game against them and AZ being rubbish this year.

24 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

First half was slow and sloppy, second was less slow and less sloppy. I think we seemed more confident as the game went on that we were better than them and were trying to win and conserve energy as much as possible. Konsa was very, very good (again) - one or two Beckenbauer-esq dribbles out, good passing and generally untroubled. Job done, shame we didn't get the 3rd to wrap the group up.

We do that infuriating thing where we think we're sooo much better than you, we decide to play extremely loosely in our backfield. Invariably making the evening a lot more **** difficult than it should be. It shouldn't take half time to give them a bollocking for that shit. I know a fair percentage of that style is how we play, and lures the opposition in to attack, but the concentration has to be there, because once the nonchalance and arrogance creeps in, then you're in trouble.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Moreno became the 7th new scorer for Villa this season. That puts this season 12th all-time for new scorers. It seems reasonable that at some point Zaniolo will get off the mark and maybe Kellyman too.

I was thinking yesterday if Konsa and Zaniolo are the only outfield players yet to score in a competitive game this season. And Lenglet. Forgot Kellyman. 

12 minutes ago, Pelle said:

I was thinking yesterday if Konsa and Zaniolo are the only outfield players yet to score in a competitive game this season. And Lenglet. Forgot Kellyman. 

Of those who have appeared in a competitive game this season and are still with the club* there are
Konsa, Zaniolo, Lenglet, Kellyman, Traore, Mings (harsh), Chambers, Revan & Dendoncker.

* Philogene-Bidace, Coutinho, Archer

• Like 1

I was hoping for us to secure a two goal cushion to secure top spot and we were so close to achieving that. I can understand the team not going gung ho for it though in the second half, as we will take the win and control of the group. If we had conceded then Legia would be in top spot. I remember a home match against Helsingborgs in the 90's that was 0-0 after a 1-1 away draw, the crowd got agitated and the team pushed forward, Helsingborg hit us on the breakway and we were out. Even without throwing everything at it we were  so close with Bailey's lobbed shot near the end, and he deserved better luck with the shot after great control of Olsen's long pass.

Olsen played ok in the end and didn't make any mistakes that I recall, just the one heart in mouth moment when he passed across the 6 yard box with the Legia forward in cross proximity, but otherwise he looked reasonable assured with the ball at his feet. He didn't have to make too many saves though.

Kamara looked a bit sloppy with his passing, obviously one really bad pass led to their goal, but there was another simple pass out to Cash that he skewed out of play which stopped a promising attack. Kamara did make up for his sloppiness with some good tracking back, and did clean up a worrying Legia attack at one point.

Cash I thought played quite well down the right hand side, and was linking up play with some nice passes and interplay.

Moreno looked a bit rusty to start with, but seemed to get better as the game wore on. I am pleased he got a goal, and it was a great finish. It looked like Duran was flattened as the ball went over him, I doubt the referee would have given a penalty, so it was important finish from Moreno. Good to have him back. I am sure he will continue to be eased back into the action over the next few weeks.

Dougie was our best midfielder last night, I was saying to my Dad that when he gets the ball in a tight spot I am confident that 99 times out of 100 he will come out on top with the ball. Great cross from him for Moreno to volley in.

Lenglet was mostly solid at the back, though did have a couple of worrying moments. Moreno saved his blushes in the second half after he was dispossesed.

Diaby took his goal well, and was unlucky not to grab a second after a great save by the Legia goalkeeper.

All in all, I think we deserved the win. We were a bit sluggish, but created the better opportunities overall.

With regards the troubles outside the ground, I was totally oblivious to it all at first, other than the heavy police prescence around VP and Witton Road being blocked off. We left from my house at 5pm, and what normally takes us an hour to travel took 1 & 3/4 hours. We still made it with plenty of time, but with the queues to get in we only got in at about 7:25pm so had about 30 minutes to get something to eat and a beer. We saw the Queues in the Trinity and thought better of it, as by the time we would have been served we probably wouldn't have had time to eat and drink before the match started. So we opted for a beer from the speed pouring counter in the upper trinity. It was only when we took our seats and looked around that i noticed the empty away section. I assumed at first that traffic had delayed the fans buses from the airport, but a guy next to us showed us his phone of what was happening outside. You would think that with their fans previous record at Leicester amongst others, that UEFA would throw them out of the competition with immediate effect. I expect that nothing will happen as per usual.

1 hour ago, Pelle said:

Lenglet had one in the net but disallowed iirc?

I'm counting it.

5 hours ago, Pelle said:

Good win yesterday. Happy to be through but also ridiculously disappointed that we couldn't score another goal so the last game wouldn't mean anything. 

Most things have already been said, but I like to highlight one moment that made me smile. It was the face of Lucas Digne when Alex Moreno were subbed. He looked genuinely happy for him. That's his toughest competition for a starting place and he was only happy that he'd played well and scored a goal and got standing ovations from the fans. I think that says a lot about the atmosphere in the squad and it's a good thing.

Yes, I noticed that too.  Digne grinning and applauded Moreno off the pitch.  Genuinely happy for his teammate. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pelle said:

Konsa scored that absolute belter of a goal in preseason… shame it doesn’t count for professional stats as I doubt he’ll score one that good again! 

50 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

How was the game? 

Been on a business trip to Berlin so not been able to watch 😭

Not one for the ages, but a decent enough performance.  Legia were well up for it and did a decent job of putting us on the back foot first half.  Tielemanns played a lovely ball through to Diaby for him to cut in and bury a shot from 20 yards for the first.  They equalized when Kamara played a blind pass (towards Cash) straight into the path of a Legia player who took a touch and planted it in the far corner.  Second half we were better and got the winner from a Moreno volley at the back post - another brilliant ball across from Dougie.  After we got the second goal Legia resorted to kicking anything that moved and with the aid of an abysmal referee, got away with it.  Bailey hit the underside of the bar late on.  

Legia never really threatened to do much in the second half (except kick us).  As I said at the outset, it was not a classic, but we did enough.  Bit like the Luton game really....  Nobody played badly, and nobody looked outstanding. An overall 7/10 collective performance that was enough to win the game.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BOF said:

It would seem reasonable Zaniolo scores some day, but he seems so darn unlucky that we'll have to wait and see 🙂

On 01/12/2023 at 11:54, NeilS said:

I was hoping for us to secure a two goal cushion to secure top spot and we were so close to achieving that. I can understand the team not going gung ho for it though in the second half, as we will take the win and control of the group. 

I wondered if they were concerned that every time they beat Legia for pace and skill, they would get scythed down by career-threatening tackles with little protection from the ref, so, having secured the lead, thought it best just to pass the ball amongst themselves and keep control in that way. They must be reasonably confident they can get a point against Zrinjski.

On 01/12/2023 at 12:38, BOF said:

Of those who have appeared in a competitive game this season and are still with the club* there are
Konsa, Zaniolo, Lenglet, Kellyman, Traore, Mings (harsh), Chambers, Revan & Dendoncker.

* Philogene-Bidace, Coutinho, Archer

Isn't Revan out on loan? Anyway, thanks for that. Of course I forgot a fair few, that's always the case. 😊

Â